• Tweets

• I would have thought so but I'm no lawyer. What did the one that you spoke to say? You could also google about how/when a will trust is set up to get more of an idea before you speak to the original lawyer. HB
    • While I am waiting for the original solicitor to ring back about the will can I ask. After my dad passed they were informed about this an released a copy of the will to me and my brother, should they have set the trust up then as they were informed of his passing?   Thanks again
    • .. A tired little trump simply run out of wind ..  for a little while ...
    • Another one. Apparently this has been hushed up for about three months. They're working through their majority quite fast with all the sackings. Not that they've done anything about Menzies yet but he sounds like a blackmail risk. Here's the original article.   Revealed: Tory MP allegedly demanded campaign cash to pay ‘bad people’ ARCHIVE.PH archived 18 Apr 2024 07:32:33 UTC  
    • and another one   MP Mark Menzies loses Tory whip as party investigates claims he misused funds "According to a source close to Mr Menzies, the MP had met a man on an online dating website and gone to the man’s flat, before subsequently going with another man to a second address where he continued drinking. He was sick at one point and several people at the address demanded £5,000, claiming it was for cleaning up and other expenses." The sum, which rose to £6,500, was eventually paid by his office manager from her personal bank account and subsequently reimbursed from funds raised from donors   Never mind losing whip - how about criminal charges   MP Mark Menzies loses Tory whip as party investigates claims he misused funds WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The Fylde MP is alleged to have used campaign funds to pay off ‘bad people’ and cover medical expenses   ALSO According to the The Times, £14,000 given by donors for use on Tory campaign activities was transferred to Mr Menzies’ personal bank accounts and used for private medical expenses. The MP, who is one of Rishi Sunak’s trade envoys, is also said to have called his 78-year-old former campaign manager at 3.15am one day in December, claiming he was locked in a flat and needed £5,000 as a matter of “life and death”.   Hes supposed to use funding from Taxpayers and doners for a life of service, not funding a life of drink and debauchery Hope his parliamentary expenses are also investigated.   In fact, perhaps Mr Bates next role in life should be as an independent investigator of Parliamentary expenses?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help - MBNA Visa Taking Enforcement Action

Pushonup
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4531 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Thank you very much for replying.

Is it better to offer the DCA a f&f figure rather than going back to MBNA as invalid DN and no CCA?

If this went to court I get the impression that due to an earlier ruling this would not be successful in my favour, as originally offered as a business user account. Is this correct?

Yours

Pushy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pushup, in answer to your question.. I do not see a signature on your document at all.

You would normally expect to see a signature that has been "stamped" on. MBNA usually stamp it at the top left hand corner of the document.

I will try and find an example for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Pushonup - yes you are correct, there is a lack of creditors signature which would leave the agreement improperly executed:

--(1) In the case of an application for an enforcement order under--

(a) section 65(1) (improperly executed agreements), or

(b) section 105(7)(a) or (b) (improperly executed security instruments), or

© section 111(2) (failure to serve copy of notice on surety), or

(d) section 124(1) or (2) (taking of negotiable instrument in contravention of

section 123),

the court shall dismiss the application if, but (subject to subsections (3) and (4)) only if,

it considers it just to do so having regard to--

(i) prejudice caused to any person by the contravention in question, and the

degree of culpability for it; and

(ii) the powers conferred on the court by subsection (2) and sections 135 and 136.

(2) If it appears to the court just to do so, it may in an enforcement order reduce or

discharge any sum payable by the debtor or hirer, or any surety, so as to compensate him

for prejudice suffered as a result of the contravention in question.

(3) The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section

61(1)(a) (signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or

not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself

containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer

(whether or not in the prescribed manner).

(4) The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) in the case

of a cancellable agreement if--

(a) a provision of section 62 or 63 was not complied with, and the creditor or

owner did not give a copy of the executed agreement, and of any other

document referred to in it, to the debtor or hirer before the commencement

of the proceedings in which the order is sought, or

(b) section 64(1) was not complied with.

..................................................................................

So - a little more ammunition for you along with the defective DN.

the creditor not having a signature on the cca at court stage isn't much help

As for the signature, in s.60/s.61 of the CCA 1974, which states the requirements for an agreement to be properly executed. To be such, it requires the signature of both parties - debtor and creditor. If one of them is missing, the agreement is improperly executed and enforceable under a Court order only by s.65.

In s.127(3), which states that an agreement, containing the prescribed terms that does not have a debtors signature is excluded from having an enforcement order issued under s.65. Ergo, a missing creditor signature will mean an improperly executed agreement that can be enforced by the Court under a s. 65 order (nicked from car2403)

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Pushy, if the agreement is compliant with the CCA1974 in all other respects and is just missing the signature, then yes, it is likely a Judge will say it can be enforced.

If the agreement lacks a signature along with other significant discrepancies ie lack of prescribed terms then agreements entered into BEFORE 2007 should not be enforced.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi IdaInFife,

Thank you.

So if going to court purely on the siganatory side of things.

The document contains all the required terms and is signed by the debtor (me) would be enforceable by the court even though the creditor (MBNA) has not signed it.

Unless (Thanks - per Griifin036 above)

(4) The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) in the case

of a cancellable agreement if--

(a) a provision of section 62 or 63 was not complied with, and the creditor or

owner did not give a copy of the executed agreement, and of any other

document referred to in it, to the debtor or hirer before the commencement

of the proceedings in which the order is sought, or

(b) section 64(1) was not complied with.

I now need to see what these to sections apply to.

Thanks for your input

Pushy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I've just been checking my credit file and see that the MBNA account that has been passed to Experto Credite is now showing as belonging to them (EC) on my file with the default registered against it.

Although the CCA that I signed is apparently enforceable how do I stand in the fact that the Default notice was not properly served and that the account number that Experto are trying to collect against is not my original account number and that i have not been advised in writing that the account number has changed.

I wonder if you would agree that the original account is still in dispute and that the defective DN affects the value that MBNA can claim?

Or

am I missing something here.

May be I just need to realise that i will need to cough up eventually!.

Any one any ideas please.

Should I write to Experto Credite and refer them back to MBNA as account is in default and I don't recognise the account they are referring to?

Yours

Pushy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have received a letter from Lowell now asking me to contact them to arrange to pay the monies they say I owe.

MBNAMCdLowellletter1.jpg

Seeing as: -

1) MBNA have admitted they haven't got the original CCA (which means that they can not create a "True" copy.

2) The default notice was served without sufficient 14 day period to pay the requested monies.

3) They lodged a default on my credit file before they wrote and defaulted the account.

4) The account number that they have quoted as being sold to Lowell Group is not one that I can find any reference to and is nothing like my Mastercard Number that is in dispute. Lowell do quote the correct one on their letter of 10/01/10.

The balance outstanding is slightly under £5,000.

Should I write to lowell asking for a Full & final Settlement or refer them to the fact that there is no CCA and that I do not therefore accept their claim for the money?

Which would be the best letter to send to MBNA regarding the default lodged with the credit reference agency to insist that thye remove it? The one in respect of the Data Protection act infringement or something else?

Any advice please?

Yours

Pushy

Hi Everyone,

You are starting to lose me here!

Please would one of the team confirm that the application form would appear to fulfill the requirements of a CCA as it contains all the required terms, conditions and my signature.

Would the fact that MBNA issued a defective Default notice have any real significance in a claim?

Experto Credite are now pushing so should I write to them telling them that they should refer back to MBNA as the account is still in dispute with MBNA who have not provided or complied with he Consumer Credit Act.

Am I likely to be able to challenge this card agreement?

Here is the latest Experto Credite letter: -

MBNAExpertoCLetter09012010.jpg

I would really be glad to have a bit of clearer advice / guidance as to where I stand on this one please.

Yours

Pushy

fire off a cca request to lowells or the deny any debt letter.

in fact, yes i'd fire off the latter, then if they persist , i'd fire off a CCA request.

as for the default, you could try the data protection infringement one.

just bear-in-mind, that i've not directly seen , only read on here, that, as such, the OFT/FOS etc, are down on record as saying that even if a CCA does not exist, they are quite happy for OC's to report info to the CRA's even if a dispute exist over the enforceability of a debt etc etc.

there is also a link in my sig that you might want to read

so you will have to see what happens.

dx

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The agreement is enforceable even thoughit is not signed by MBNA.

The credit limit is stated as the description they use in Paragraph 3 on the agreement will suffice.

Please re-read the links I posted in post #5 to understand the enforcability of agreements.

Your defence is this matter is the defective DN and the fact that MBNA have terminated the account.

Please read the links carefully as they willl explain the position you are at -

B_R_W's post on DN's

The link below is how MBNA describe an account being "charged off" or sold to a DCA, thus the account is terminated.

img011.jpg picture by paulbaxter009 - Photobucket

I'd print off a copy of this if I were you. ;)

Edited by supasnooper
typo

• 2 weeks later...

offer them 10% as F&F settlement on the understanding they nor none of theirs nor MBNA's agents can further chase the debt & that your credit file is marked settled.

else fire off the CCA request.

dx

• Haha 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The Default Notice is invalid for other reasons, they have not allowed enough time to remedy. It is dated the 4th Dec which was a Friday so it could not have got into the postal system until the following Mon 7th, allowing 4 days second class post + the 14 days to remedy the remedy date should be the 25th Dec. Now add to that the fact that it was a Bank Holiday period & the PO was shut for several days the remedy date should be even later. By selling the debt and demanding the full amount they have unlawfully rescinded the contract...... no wonder Lowlife bought the a/c, it within their buying criteria..... unenforceable. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Hi Dx And Cerberus,

Thank you both for your valid input.

If as you now say the contract is unenforceable do I now tell Lowell to refer back to MBNA using 42man's letter refer back to original lender as account in serious dispute?

Should I refer to any of you key points Cerberus or save them for a later date if needed?

I've just received another letter from Lowells today so will send something off to them recorded tomorrow: -

MBNAMcdLowellsltr3.jpg

Thank you for pointing out the detail of the dates and timescales on the failed Default notice. I had totally overlooked the weekend and xmas holiday period implications.

Yours

Pushy

std computer generated crap designed to make you contact them.

dx

and they

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Supasnooper and all,

Thank you for pointing those things out for me and the relevant links.

For everyones information Experto Credite have woken up to the fact that they can not claim against an account number that is not the one in the original Credit Card Agreement and have written to try and correct it.

See below:

MBNAVisaExpCredAccnumbchange.jpg

I am now writing to Experto Credite and MBNA to point out the defective termination notice and the amount owed (just the arrears requested) as well as the failure to comply with the data protection act and the recording of the default with the credit reference agencies.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts from you about this.

Yours,

Pushy

Hi again,

Lowells still trying so I've decided to refer them back to MBNA and the defective Default notice and lack of CCA.

They sent this letter today so we'll see what my response brings.

Wrote to MBNA mastercard with a copy too.

MBNAFsbMcdLowellswantpayment.jpg

Will keep you informed as and when replies received.

Letters sent:

LOWELLS: -

Dear Sirs,

I am in receipt of your letter dated 15/02/2010 which continues to refer to a reference that is not covered by a valid CCA agreement.

The above account would appear to have been sold to Lowell Portfolio I Ltd on 22/12/2009.

This account is in dispute with MBNA Credit Card and has been since 3rd June 2009.

Not only is this a breach of the Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 in line with the Office Of Fair Trading debt collection guidelines, but also in breach of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and Data Protection Act 1998.

My previous dispute from 3rd June 2009 has NOT been answered.

As MBNA Credit Card are in default of my Consumer Credit Act request and have also breached *s10 Data Protection Act request , I consider this account to be in SERIOUS DISPUTE.

As you are aware, while my Consumer Credit Act request remains in default, enforcement action is NOT permitted under s127. This constitutes a complete defence at law.

Consequentially any legal action you pursue will be averred as both UNLAWFUL and VEXATIOUS.

Now I would respectfully suggest that this account is returned to MBNA Credit Card for resolution of these defaults and breaches, as Lowell Financial cannot lawfully pursue any enforcement activities.

If Lowell Financial chooses to ignore my dispute and attempt enforcement, I will initiate legal action and file reports with the appropriate authorities, including, but not limited to, Trading Standards, Office of Fair Trading, Information Commissioners Office, Financial Ombudsman Service and possible court action.

After taking advice, I am of the opinion that any continued pursuit is in violation of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 in line with the Office of Fair Tradings’ Collection Guidelines.

I hope that this will not be necessary and an acceptable solution can be accomplished.

The Default Notice issued by MBNA Credit Card is invalid and by selling the debt and demanding the full amount they have unlawfully rescinded any prior contract.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

I look forward to hearing from you in writing.

Yours faithfully

MBNA: -

ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE

Dear Sir/Madam,

The above account would appear to have been sold to Lowell Portfolio I Ltd on 22/12/2009 although your letter dated 18/12/2009 refers to an unknown account number.

The Default Notice that you issued on 4th December is invalid as you have not allowed me enough time to carry out the requested remedy. The 4th December 2009 was a Friday so it could not have got into the postal system until the following Mon 7th December, allowing 4 days by second class post + the 14 days to the remedy date it should be the 25th December (Bank Holiday). Now add to that the fact that it was a Bank Holiday period & the Post Office Royal Mail was shut for several days, the remedy date should be even later. Even if it was despatched on the Friday 4th the remedy date should have been at least the 22nd December 2009.

By selling the debt after issuing a defective default notice and demanding the full amount you have unlawfully rescinded any contract that may have existed even if you had not confirmed that you are unable to provide a valid Credit Card Agreement.

This account has been in dispute with you since 3rd June 2009.

Not only is passing this out to a debt collection agency a breach of the Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 in line with the Office Of Fair Trading debt collection guidelines, but also in breach of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and Data Protection Act 1998.

As you are aware while my Consumer Credit Act request remains in default, enforcement action is NOT permitted; under s127 this constitutes a complete defence at law.

If Lowell chooses to ignore my dispute and attempt enforcement, I will initiate legal action and file reports with the appropriate authorities, including, but not limited to, Trading Standards, Office of Fair Trading, Information Commissioners Office, Financial Ombudsman Service and possible court action.

After taking advice, I am of the opinion that any continued pursuit is in violation of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 in line with the Office of Fair Trading Collection Guidelines.

I hope that this will not be necessary and an acceptable solution can be accomplished as no agreement that may have existed between us is valid.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

I look forward to hearing from you in writing.

Yours faithfully

• 2 months later...

Dear friends,

To keep the thread running in context.

I sent off these two letters to Experto Credite and MBNA in February disputing the validity of the account and their continued pursuit of the debt.

This one to MBNA:

MBNAScanCopyMyLetterreaccountsoldvi.jpg

and this to Experto Credite:

MBNAExpertoScanCopyMyLetterreaccoun.jpg

They acknowledged receipt and would investigate my complaint!

Yours

Pushy

Here I am again,

MBNA came back to say that they felt they had acted properly and tried to resolve the situation.

They said that I need to let them know within 8 weeks if this is not a satisfactory answer.

I'm about to do that now as the eight weeks are up and I may have missed that trick to test them further.

They suggested that I refer to the Financial Ombudsman Service if I'm not happy. See their letter below...

MBNAVisaDefense1a.jpg

MBNAVisaDefense1b.jpg

I'd appreciate any comment to what i might say to put my case more clearly.

How do I go about contacting the FOS or FSA to complain, please?

Best wishes

Pushy :confused:

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Just to bring this thread a bit more up to date: -

1) MBNA wrote back on 24th Feb saying they were investigating my complaint.

2) Lowell wrote back on 26/02/10 noting the dispute and that they were requesting a copy of my CCA from MBNA

3) Lowell wrote again on 28/02/10 saying that they were requesting a copy of my agreement and would try to reply within 12 day period.

4) Lowell wrote saying that MBNA had requested agreement from their archives and threat of further legal if it is produced!!

5) MBNA wrote saying investigation taking longer than anticipated 18/03/10

6) Lowell wrote to say that no more correspondence from them until MBNA produce agreement

Will ad more in a new post.

Yours

Pushy

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have now received this letter stating that Lowells are not taking any further action as lender unable to produce the required information!

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad156/Pushonup/MBNA%20MCd/MBNAMCdLowellsclosedfile.jpg"]a>

After this MBNA sent me a further letter with the wrong card application form and the wrong card terms and conditions and a signed letter indicating my outstanding balance staing that they have complied with my SARN and CCA requests.

A load of B*****ks!!

Will keep you posted as and when.

Yours

Pushy