trebormints

Monthly Contractual Tenancy - notice period?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3621 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

We took out an Assured shorthold tenancy with our Landlord in 2006.

In the contract it says

"You will have the property for 6 months from ddmmyy"

"If, at the end of this time,you want to continue the tenancy and you have not already received from us two months' notice to end the tenancy, it will carry on from month to month as a monthly contractual tenancy. You must give two months' notice to end it. This notice must be given to expire on a rent payment day."

Do I really need to give 2 months notice? I always thought with AST, one month was I all I have to give? :confused:

Guest Old_andrew2018

Bump

Guest wino

Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST)

The Housing Act 1988 introduced a new class of tenancies called assured tenancies, which include the assured shorthold tenancy, and the ordinary assured tenancy. The assured shorthold tenancy is the standard form of letting for tenancies which began on or after 28 February 1997.

If the landlord lets a property on an assured shorthold (AST), he is entitled to, and guaranteed, the right to regain possession at the end of the term subject to the statutory notice requirements:

• the landlord must give 2 months' notice that possession is required

• possession will only be awarded after six months

I presume that the tennant would be required to give 2 months notice aswell allthough I cannot find anything about it. As it says that on your agreement then you accepted the condition when you signed it