£620 for digital Ariel + installation

hallowitch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5200 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my sister-in law paid £620 for a digital Ariel plus installation she is getting the same firm to my aunts I'm not happy with my aunt paying this much

I am going to phone the digital switch over help line tomorrow as she may be entitled to help as she is 86 however she is quite well of and if this is means tested she wont get help

so i am looking for options have check her post code and she is in the winterhill area

her telly is about 12 years old and i wondered if she could get freesat + dish would this work on a telly that old

and also availablefor peeps in in digital switchover areas -

can get sky equipment free and jusy pay a min package for 12 months and then have freesat after the 12 months - alot cheaper than the above price

but deffinatley worth following bigdaddy's advice and there are many people that qualify for the helpline offers

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Before paying out check that she actually needs a new aerial as most don't actually need changing.

More Information provided on the following link.

Here

enamae

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/Ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

my sister-in law paid £620 for a digital Ariel plus installation she is getting the same firm to my aunts I'm not happy with my aunt paying this much

I am going to phone the digital switch over help line tomorrow as she may be entitled to help as she is 86 however she is quite well of and if this is means tested she wont get help

so i am looking for options have check her post code and she is in the winterhill area

her telly is about 12 years old and i wondered if she could get freesat + dish would this work on a telly that old

that is outrageous!!

see the watchdog site.

most people dont even need an aerial upgrade its all a big [problem].

stick a freeview box on the aerial feed she has first and test it!

a 'digital' aerial is typically

RIP OFF!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No such thing as a digital aerial

Most aerials require no more than realigning with the transmitter as a lot of installers don't check and just point it in the same general direction as other aerials are facing.

One other common problem is oxidation of the cable connection at the aerial, all it requires it cleaning and reconnection.

Edited by Conniff
Correct typo - oops

No such thing as a digital aerial

Most aerials require no more than realigning with the transmitter as a lot of installers don't check and just point it in the same general direction as other aerials are facing.

One other common problem is oxidation of the cable connection at the aerial, all it requires it cleanting and reconnection.

well my avatar gives a clue.......

typically freeview is sometimes outside the bandwidth of many old aerials, they are not wideband, thats what causes the issue.

but no there is no such thing as a digital aerial.

but sadly corrosion and the non use of rubberweld tape leads to many issues that can very easily be fixed.

they are all rip off merchants.....

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

for 37yrs yep

dx

and they

wilco

gotta do a pmr tower at 2pm so i'll resp later

dx

and they

The aerial on my house dates from the 1980's and picks up freeview just fine. Its old, tatty looking and rusty but the picture is perfect.

Also £620 ?? I bet whom ever fitted that was laughing all the way to the bank.

the confusion with Aerials

in simple terms

area's around the country are in groups ,

eg, London group a , because it uses channels 21 - 35

other parts of the UK will have other groups

it is also done so that the transmitter do not interfere with ajacent ones

and freeview uses a group "W" ( wideband ) WHICH COVERS ALL CHANNELS ( often called a DIGITAL AERIAL )

if you have a single group aerial you may miss some of the channels

however if you are close to the local transmitter you may well receive everything

true cost for a group W is about £20 - £80 Depending on the elements , more elements more gain ( further you are from the mast the higher the gain needed )

installation is on top

if your aerial is 20 years or more it is ideal to replace everything inc cable,

and unless you have an unusal install problem its going to be under £100 ( install is normally about £35 - £50 on top of the cost of the aerial )

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

Like Cooking ? check the Halogen Cooker thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html

• 1 month later...

£620 is a ridiulous amount to pay for an aerial install, but I have heard of higher charges.

An aerial can cost the installer anywhere from £5-£80 depending on what type they use.

We charge £115 for an aerial install, which includes an aerial, bracket and pole (upto a certain size) and caling to one point in the house. If an amp is required then this is extra, price dependant upon what amp you have, but we will not try and sell the most expensive unless it si genuinely needed.

A lot of old aerials will work perfectly fine with freeview and dont need upgrading.

With regards to freesat working on an old TV, so long as it has a scart socket then yes it will. freesat box's so not have a RF out on them, so have to be connected via scart or HDMI if you get the HD version.

We dont typically do residential installs and concentrate mainly on commercial work, so I am unsure of the free aerials/box's for people over a certain age, but I would imagine the scheme was set up for older people so that when their area switchs over they are able to continue recieving viewing, even they are unable to afford to pay for an aerial/box. As you have mentioned she is quite well off, then I dont think this is in the spirit of claiming for a free on really.