192.com people finder

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3435 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I just registered after reading this thread.

I'd be extremely interested in knowing how your particular cases with 192.com unfolded.

I've recently discovered that I too am a victim of this company. I asked them to remove my details and they seem to have done that but as I was reading this thread I noticed some of you were saying that they actually keep the details.

could any of you confirm if this is correct?

should i send them a letter requesting to confirm they will no longer use my private data.

thanks

Edited by sounhappy

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

192.com accesses external; databases. You need to get yourself removed from the databases you are listed on to be successful. 193 do not hold the data in the conventional sense (like 'Google') they only provide links to it.

192.com accesses external; databases. You need to get yourself removed from the databases you are listed on to be successful. 193 do not hold the data in the conventional sense (like 'Google') they only provide links to it.

so the dvd disks they sell are not loaded with the data only the links!!!!

I don't believe they ever sold DVDs. If you mean the CR-ROMs of old, these were actually scanned versions of the old BT Phone books, and were pretty dreadful in all but one respect, you could (at the rimew) perform a reverse lookup- so users could creade a direction in STREET order, which was pretty neat. It also allowed partial name searches which the BT PhoneDisc did not.

These days, they only act as a gatewat to other data - in much the same way CRAs do, by linking publicly accessab;e data to the information they have already indexed. So asking them to remove you is kinda pointless, especially if you don't go to the council and get yourself removed from the voters roll, companies house, registry tust, land register, OSIS phone book and the rest. Then there's the historical data - old Electoral registers, which have been bought by many firms and won't give them up.

• 2 months later...
Not it isn't. It is used as an an identity reference resource. 192 has no access to 'credit reference' information.

The poster isn't saying that the poster is saying that the CRA's & others also use 192 who in turn provide said data to their clients ............ which is one of the reasons victims should send 192 a DPA Sec 10 notice telling them to cease processing their data

Heck, I lost you at the second 'the poster is saying'. 8)

By removing your details from 192.com (even assuming they are there) stil leaves the details on all the original databases, and with removal will inevitably lead to a refusal by PayPal to accept the customer. I'm very careful with my data and have had services refused because of this.

If THAT is what you're advocating, then at least point out the pitfalls for so doing.

Heck, I lost you at the second 'the poster is saying'. 8)

By removing your details from 192.com (even assuming they are there) stil leaves the details on all the original databases, and with removal will inevitably lead to a refusal by PayPal to accept the customer. I'm very careful with my data and have had services refused because of this.

If THAT is what you're advocating, then at least point out the pitfalls for so doing.

I'm not suggesting it I'm advising people of their right to have their data from being processed Good grief your the most argumentative person on this forum

Also if they 'use' 192 as part of their determination of a consumers status why did you imply the questioner was wrong when it was clear to everyone else that's precisely what they stated.

It seems you could pick a fight in an empty room

What a rant! If you see a clarification as being argumentative, by all means. The point remains, 192 is not a CRA, and are not set up to be. Your naive response that users should ensure their details are not displayed by 192.com in order to fail Paypal's checks is the biggest own goal since the last time I saw an England footie match.

By all means make so called clarifications if you think anyone cares, but give the full picture as I have tried to, not some petulant attempt at point-scoring.

What a rant! If you see a clarification as being argumentative, by all means. The point remains, 192 is not a CRA, and are not set up to be. Your naive response that users should ensure their details are not displayed by 192.com in order to fail Paypal's checks is the biggest own goal since the last time I saw an England footie match.

By all means make so called clarifications if you think anyone cares, but give the full picture as I have tried to, not some petulant attempt at point-scoring.

As I recall we have crossed swords twice & on both occasions you have been wrong as proven by the eventual outcome of each matter

That's not what the box is for! The ability of people to opt for includion in the 'edited' register was largely circumvented when the CRAs argued for access ro 'prevent fraud'. They got their waiver, and access to the the full file. This meant that the opting out only prevents your details being harvested by mailing list companies, not quite the original promise.

• 1 month later...

Certainly, follow the links on the website, but as an aggregator - the source data still remains. There are far better resourced on the web for pulling this type of information together, and its free! Many firms also use 192 as customer verification, so absenbce from their listing usuall means a refusal as you 'don't exist'.

Thanks buzby, done that.

Do I understand you correctly that there are other such sites where info can be sourced by the public? Obviously cant do anything about the CRA's

Yes. 192.com HAVE NO DATA - they are simply a processor of information that is collected by other sources, Companies House, Electroal Register, Phone Book etc etc. The only way to not be listed is to attempt to remove the initial listing (which is impossible) as public records remain, public!

Wink is a free online people search service that searches through more than 400 million profiles on social networks. Services covered are Facebook, MySpace and LinkedIn. Searches can be carried out names, school, position, and career interests among others.

Wink is a free online people search service that searches through more than 400 million profiles on social networks. Services covered are Facebook, MySpace and LinkedIn. Searches can be carried out names, school, position, and career interests among others.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks BUZBY for clearing up my confusion.

There's also this http://www.123people.co.uk which is a search engine and will throw up anywhere where you're linked such as facebook etc.

i found my myspace page through that site...which is set to private anyway.

luckily they didn't have anything else of mine on there.

thanks CERBERUSALERT for posting the newspaper article.

very interesting...and scary.:!:

it's so unfair that companies can access your details...even personal ones...from these kinds of sites.

there should be a law against it.

how can i get my details off 192.com, 123people.co.uk and other similar websites?

There's information on 192.com that is NOT public record - such as your occupation. Scumbags

You misunderstand, there is the Public Record (official information) and public record (where the data subject has made the disclosure). How do you think 193 managed to 'guess' your occupation? Probably from a social networking site, so it is to this you need to address your concerns. For the last 30 years I have randomised my DoB for organisations that have ro requirement or rightr to know, and this has posed few problems but provided many benefits.