192.com people finder

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3441 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just done a little 'tracing' myself using 192 and found something interesting yet quite disturbing. Cross referencing between google, facebook, friendsreunited & 192 I have not only found where my ex lives, but who she lives with; that she never remarried has no children + their telephone number. If I felt like it I could dig even deeper by doing a Land Registry search and find the value of her property, who the mortgage lender was & the purchase price.

Edited by cerberusalert

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received this from 192.com. They still havent answered my questions regarding why they think its OK to display my data and to how long they hold my information.

Thank you for your email.

The data sources used on our website Search for People, Businesses and Places - 192.com are as follows;

The UK Electoral Roll (2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007 and 2008)

The OSIS database (full listing of UK telephone numbers, not including ex directory)

Business and Director Reports (provided by Dun&Bradstreet/Web Data)

Land Registry data (© Crown copyright material is reproduced with the permission of Land Registry.)

All this information is available in the public domain. The nature of the source and the volume of data dictate how we deal with removals. Individual’s data eg name, home address and telephone number (if not ex directory) will be given if listed on the UK Electoral Roll, OSIS database or as a director or listed executive of a company.

Electoral Roll

By law your local authority has to make the electoral register available for anyone to look at. The register is held at the local electoral registration office and some public buildings, such as libraries.

Until recently, any company, organisation or person could buy a copy of the register. In 2002, the government changed the law so that every individual has some choice about who can buy details of your name and address. Under the changes there are now two versions of the register: the full version and the edited version. When you complete your electoral registration form each October you will be able to choose whether you want your details included on the edited register.

The full register has the names and addresses of everyone registered to vote. Anyone can look at it, but copies can only be supplied for certain purposes, such as elections and law enforcement. Credit reference agencies are also allowed to use the full register, but only to check your name and address if you are applying for credit and to help prevent money laundering. This means that we no longer have access to the complete electoral roll for use on our products.

We have always offered to remove individual’s details from the Electoral Roll upon completion of a CO1 form. Available at http://www.192.com/support/downloads/C01.pdf

We have 30 days from the date that we receive the C01 form to remove it from the 192.com website.

I can see that you have never opted off the edited version which is why your data has been supplied to us and probably other companies that publish electoral data online.

OSIS (telephone numbers)

We are unable to remove telephone numbers as we receive a daily update direct from OSIS. If we remove the record it will reappear unless the record is removed at source. To remove a record the individual needs to contact their telecoms provider and request to go ex directory. To check to see if your details are on BT, please click on the following link - www.bt.com

Births, Marriages and Death index records cannot be removed as these are records are taken from The National Records Office - General Register Office (GRO) - Official information on births, marriages and deaths

I hope that this information has helped you understand our removals process more clearly however if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact the Customer Service Team directly.

Kind Regards

I've just done a little 'tracing' myself using 192 and found something interesting yet quite disturbing. Cross referencing between google, facebook, friendsreunited & 192 I have not only found where my ex lives, but who she lives with; that she never remarried has no children + their telephone number. If I felt like it I could dig even deeper by doing a Land Registry search and find the value of her property, who the mortgage lender was & the purchase price.

As it happens we seperated amicably & lost touch when I moved and I have no intention in intruding into her life....... but there are others who could just as easily find similar information about people for more sinister purposes. :eek::eek:

It is awful cerb!

I checked out a friend last night on 192.

The information that came up was mind boggling:

The poor girl had been the victim in a violent relationship, the young man she was living with tried to strangle her, obviously the police became involved.

Happily, after much intervention by friends and family she left him but '192' still have him (thug) listed as occupying the same address!

How many more vulnerable young woman do 192 have listed on their internet data base?

These are vulnerable people!

It is awful cerb!

I checked out a friend last night on 192.

The information that came up was mind boggling:

The poor girl had been the victim in a violent relationship, the young man she was living with tried to strangle her, obviously the police became involved.

Happily, after much intervention by friends and family she left him but '192' still have him (thug) listed as occupying the same address!

How many more vulnerable young woman do 192 have listed on their internet data base?

These are vulnerable people!

The weird thing is my ex and I divorced in 1984.... 25 years ago... yet I can still trace her and glean so much private information which took no time at all and cost me absolutely nothing to do. :eek:

Even the Electoral Roll gets it wrong. Let's face it, we could state that Elvis lived at our address and it would go in. Oooh there's a thought :D

OOH...can I come round?

Havn't seen "The King" for years...

He worked in a garage in Swindon, but I think he's retired now.

I'll get me coat........

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

Did he???

Must have moved from Memphis then;

last time I saw him, he was swinging his hips in Vegas...YUM!

Hang on, no worries will just check on 192.com;

listings for

garages in Swindon;

Elvis aron presley;

Elvis the Pelvis or,

The King

From 192s web site:

Our people search technology had also been designed to help companies search for overdue debtors. Our simple search solution called 192 Trace can search the UK population by partial name, partial address and run advanced searches such as age range search and relationship search.

It appears that 192.com is part of the Callcredit group. No wonder they make a feature of their credit reference function.

It seems there are more worms in this can than we thought.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

Skipton have just sold Callcredit to a venture capitalist group; EEK!!!

Or, should I say private equity group:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/building-societies/6760239/Skipton-Building-Society-sells-credit-checking-arm-Callcredit.html

Ah, perhaps it is the new group who owns 192...?

Well, I cannot see anything stating that Vetruvian Partners have bought 192;

just that the Skipton have sold their major stake in CallCredit to, Vetruvian Partners.

Anyhow, posters on another forum think the same as us re: 192:

I wanna remove my details from 192.com - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Talk about playing both ends towards the middle.

Put in 'Lowell Financial' and you get the tele, address and map and........errrr.... this.

Lowell Financial - Money Managers

'We offer a TOTAL MONEY SAVING SOLUTION for Lowell Financial Ltd and other debts.' Thats funny.

THis is worse:

Referral - Money Managers

- If you get some poor sod to sign up for debt management you get 5%, so How much do they get and what exactly is left for the creditors?

As regards 192,I suspect they are playing the middle towards both ends as well.

Morning Peeps :)

Going through some paperwork supplied as part of a recent SAR from one of our creditors this morning, I found an entry stating that they searched 192.com to search for our phone number(s) both residential & my business line.

Shortly after that date, who should crawl out from under their stone with a court order - LINK !

Beachy