192.com people finder

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3412 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hI Iv'e been on that 192.com and found myself and mrs owen on display for all the world to see.can any body advise how I can get removed or blanked out. because i do not want any tom dick or DCA to have access to this info.and how did I get on there in the first place as I'm ex directory owen

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just checked myself out there. My phone is in her ladyship's name. She is ex-directory. We are on the private version of the electoral register.

Both our personal details are on there - including our ages, occupations etc.

I am very concerned about this too:mad:

Perhaps a DSAR is in order.

Hi,

You can have your entries removed from 192.com electoral roll entries:

If you wish to be removed from 192.com's copies of the Electoral Roll, please download the C01 form and mail it to the address below or fax it to 0207 909 2169.

Customer Services, i-CD Publishing (UK) Ltd. Units 8-10 Quayside Lodge, William Morris Way, London, SW6 2UZ.

If, after telling these leeches to remove your details, you see them still listed write to them and inform them politely you have reported them to the Information Commissioner for breach of the Data Protection Act. They won't be able to remove your detals fast enough. You will, of course, have told printed off the evidence and sent that letter to the commissioner.

I saw my details last week (Name, address and phone number)on this site even though we have opted out of the full electoral roll. I sent in the form (CO1)for being taken off and had a reply yesterday saying that they cannot remove phone numbers as the core database OSIS just updates them daily.

They say that the only way to get it taken off is through the phone provider. The thing is that my husbands name doesn't come up and the directory entry is in his name. I have never had an entry in my name so how can I have it taken off at source?

We are also on the telephone preference list yet we still get calls often asking for me by name. I wondered where on earth they could get my details from - I need wonder no more!

A word of warning here too - I had reason to buy credits recently for the full search facility.

Lo and behold today I received an email purporting to be from 192.com saying my credits have been used and offering a discount on futher credits. Presumably spam/phishing as I still have 4 credits left, and when I hovered the pointer over the link provided the address that showed up in the bar at the bottom was definitely NOT 192.com. I forwarded it to their abuse department, BUT how on earth did they know I'd recently got credits?? :eek:

I saw my details last week (Name, address and phone number)on this site even though we have opted out of the full electoral roll. I sent in the form (CO1)for being taken off and had a reply yesterday saying that they cannot remove phone numbers as the core database OSIS just updates them daily.

They say that the only way to get it taken off is through the phone provider. The thing is that my husbands name doesn't come up and the directory entry is in his name. I have never had an entry in my name so how can I have it taken off at source?

We are also on the telephone preference list yet we still get calls often asking for me by name. I wondered where on earth they could get my details from - I need wonder no more!

Technical difficulties and how they resolve their breaches of the DPA are not your concern. I would send them the stop processing section 10 notice in the templates.

It is more likely they cannot remove phone numbers because they make a nice wedge selling them

so after reading your comments, and many of you say you are already ex directory and have also opted out on the electoral roll how have these lowlifes got our details.... it looks to me as though our local councils are selling this info on despite our opting out.would a letter to our local mp help. (bet they dont know it but their details are probably listed) owen

The letter I got yesterday saying they could not remove my details also included a printout from the BT site showing all my details so they had done a search themselves and come up with my name, number and address so I went onto the BT site and asked to be removed. I have just had an email back from them asking me to confirm my phone number and BT account number so they can deal with it. The fact is that we haven't been with BT for about 15 years as we are with Virgin, and the phone book number has always been in my husband's name.

I will send them the stop processing letter tomorrow.

so after reading your comments, and many of you say you are already ex directory and have also opted out on the electoral roll how have these lowlifes got our details.... it looks to me as though our local councils are selling this info on despite our opting out.would a letter to our local mp help. (bet they dont know it but their details are probably listed) owen

clearly they get the same 'non public' versions as the cra's do. The public electoral role can be seen at any library FOC. The argument is no doubt that you have to pay to see it. The fact that any tom dick or harriet can do that seems by the by.

My view? 192 is a largely 'gray' area that at best has gone under the rader because, lets face it, how often do most people pay to check where they live or what their phone number is? I believe that, from what you've all said, eveything on their DB is in total breach of the DPA. How many of us have 'ticked a box' then signed to say they agree to 192.com processing their data?

Time for a raft of letters me thinks. Mine will be off Tuesday at the latest.

Even the bottom feeders need food, now we know who feeds their 'sophisticated' tracing algorithms.

I am sorry to read that there seems to be some confusion over the data we hold on www.192.com. The site is used by millions of people to find friends and relatives, check addresses and to obtain telephone numbers, where available. We take privacy very seriously and publish data in accordance with all the ICO and Data Protection guidelines.

The data we publish is already publicly available from a variety of sources however, we have always provided an Electoral Roll record removal form (since 1997) which anyone can download and fax or post back to us. Please complete the following form and return it to us: http://statics.192.com/downloads/C01.pdf Once returned we aim to remove Electoral Roll records within 48hrs.

Telephone numbers are sourced from the OSIS database. This is the database where all telecom providers have to list their numbers and we receive a daily update directly from the source (we do not display ex directory numbers). If you wish to be ex directory or to check your current listing please contact your telecoms provider.

If you find your name and occupation on 192.com, you are most likely looking at a Directors record. This is sourced from Companies House and is provided if you are a Director or Company Secretary. With any enquiry regarding Director/Secretary details you need to contact Companies House.

As the Customer Services Manager at 192.com if anyone on this forum has any specific concerns please do contact me (Zoe) via [email protected] and I will deal with your questions personally.

Hi zoe,

What's the proceedure for a subject access request with your outfit?

I'm not too happy that your site has on display my private data, for example who lives at my house, my occupation, my unlisted phone number amongst other things. My partners cards were cloned by a sophisticated [problem] recently and I would like to know what you do to make sure our data is safe.

Your site says you keep a record of who searches me. What checks do you make to prevent unsavoury characters setting eyes on or buying my data?

Edited by kurvaface

Hi,

The information we display on www.192.com will have been provided from either the Electoral Roll (local councils), OSIS database(telecoms companies), Company or Director information(Companies House). If you wish to know what we have pertaining to yourself. Please send us an email requesting a Data Subject Request and we will contact you further as we will need to get further information from you to ensure we pass onto you all the relevant data.

We do keep search logs, if you feel that your details may have been searched please again get in touch and we will be able to assist you/police wherever we can.

My 2009 electoral role details appear on this site, I have just spoken to my local council and they say that 2009 details have not been sold yet and that they can see I have opted out ???????? So Zoe just where are you obtaining my deatails from?

The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

I think that will happen as I have just had the South Glos data protection complience officer on the phone, He tells me that the first sale of the electoral role 2009 from them was dispatched today to the CRA's and that my details were not included as I opted out. He also said a lot of companies just say their information is from the electoral role to cover their backs....

The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

They have told me that because I didn't opt out of the register in 2003 they can publish my data. That sound bovinely feacal.

With regards to company directors, you need to file form CH01 to change your service address on your director details. You are now allowed to have that at your registered office instead of your home address.

The more I look at 192.com, the more uncomfortable I am with them doing what they do.

It is apparrent that they have absolutely no security measures in place to prevent misuse and will willingly sell your personal data to anyone for any purpose.:mad:

Edited by kurvaface

can, worms & tin opener on the go here.

Zoe I feel a DPA section 10 unauthorised data processing letter coming on. If I am opted out of the public electoral role, ex-directory, TPS registered and NOT a company director just what information should you be showing as being in the 'public domain'?

If anyone wishes to take this further the correct procedure is to contact the ICO and consumer direct with your concerns plus a screen shot of the offending data and send zoe/192 a notice under section 10 of the DPA to stop processing you data - 192 must then either comply within 28 days or give you a legal reason why they feel they have the right to do it - which you may then challenge if you wish.

Hi Hungrybear,

I do feel like a can of worms has been mistakenly opened here on the forum today but at the same time I am trying to make clear what data we hold and where it comes from and why we are able to publish it as we do. I am hiding behind no walls and am trying to be as transparent as I can. I understand peoples worries where their personal data is concerned, however unless people contact me directly as I first asked it is difficult for me to give a blanket answer that will please or be relevant to all parties.

I think all sites like this should be banned the only people who should be able to get access to this info are law enforcment and the courts. If anyone wishes to trace somone they should have to go though the courts and show a valid reason for wanting to make contact.

I think someones cage has been well and truely rattled.

If we the public wanted information to be in the public domain it should be the case that unless our express permission was given ie. companies like 192.com ask us, it should be law that it is an offence to share data. Its bad enough that we have CRA and DCA in obvious co-operation and our credit files are sold and have incorrect information on them.

I urge everyone to write to their MP, the OFT, etc to complain strongly about this constant blatant abuse of OUR data.