Michael McIntyre walks out of Cabot ceremony

jb000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4779 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

No point in her posting again, the original article was so long ago it's Statute Barred...

:lol:

... which, in the world of debt collection, is no reason to stop flogging a dead horse.

The poster above appears to have fallen for the 'all debtors are bad people' line pushed by DCAs - to their staff as well as the outside world. After all, how could a phone drone do their job if they were told "it's quite likely that the people you'll be calling are in debt because of bereavement, redundancy, illness or separation; they may well want to pay their debts but have no money. Now go to it, and remember your commission!"

Of course I am not singling out Cabot, who I'm quite sure are fine, upstanding members of the community, as are their lawyers...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest reddwarflister1

Apologies for posting here again even though I said I wouldn't but your responses have amused me no end.

Can I ask the site team as to why a certain part of my posting disapeared?

I edited my own post but not that sentance, no messages in my inbox or is the famous cagbot back and deleting partial words which the site team do not agree with?

I thought this forum was a free sspeach zone, I did not name anyone personally, attack anyone personally, nor was I sexist or anti-racial.

Comments please?

Stigman

Yes I also made that mistake.

You state that that you are not a employee of Cabot and I have no reason to doubt your word, you add that a friend of yours is an employee of this company so I wonder what made you take the time and trouble to register with COG and make your post. I can only assume that your friends work was discussed over dinner, maybe over Christmas, and this episode has stuck in her mind, I do wonder that when discussing her employment what confidentialities she discussed, all very worrying.

Your a genius, even though I did point out in my initial post that I had, indeed just found out about this which rather gave the game away. As for your cynical assumption of this person, they divulged the fact that McIntyre walked out on a firms do, something that was apparently in the national newspaper, hardly confidential information so why assume there would have been other information discussed which should not have been? Are you judging by your own personal standard?

You say you will not post again and that's probably for the best, and whilst we are all prepared to listen to your view, that’s after all what this forum is for, you will appreciate if we have little sympathy and don't agree with them.

This I thank you for, a rational polite answer, again I apologise for posting again and feel I am probably wasting my breath but I have been on the other side of people that do not pay what they owe, I have watched my own family struggle through business ownership because for whatever reasons their clients couldn't or wouldn't make payment and they put us into a position where we were chased for money we owed. I watched my father work every hour to claw his way back up. I have my own business now and I cannot afford to let people just not pay me, we all need to remember here too that everything you purchase is more expensive due to bad debtors.

No point in her posting again, the original article was so long ago it's Statute Barred...

:lol:

This did in fact really make me laugh, It was over 50 years ago Hitler stormed across Europe but you can still talk about it should you wish, plus 'Statute barred' is something else I would like to see abolished, why should you walk away from what you owe just because a time period has elapsed?

I do see your anguish at people whos life takes a turn that causes them to fall into arrears, but to be honest that isn't the majority, it is the new culture of greed, people purchasing what they clearly cannot afford often with no intention of paying it back, you will come back all guns blazing at this comment as some of you will feel aggrevated by my presence here, but a lot of the anger is due to companies like Cabot daring to ask for what is owed. I have read some of the other threads here concerning the treatment some say they have received, I am going to reserve comment suffice to say the person I know has never operated in this fashion.

I have also linked this discussion elsewhere where the opinions and views are very differing. I stand by the fact I never meant to actually anger you, just partake in an adult discussion, there have been forums I've been on where this has happened and actually my original view has been altered, I am always open to new information.

Cabot don’t ask for what is owed. Lenders write off debts and take the tax break, sell to Cabot for F all then Cabot chases the whole amount. It is wrong and it smells. It should be made illegal.

Now b*gger off please and don’t come back.

It's not about 'walking away from what you owe'. When you have severe financial difficulties and DCA's such as Cabot back you into a corner, you have to look at all options available to you. They force you into that situation. If you do ever face such difficulties, then i'd be interested to see if you stand by your opinion. Either way I can't understand why you took the time, on Boxing Day, to register here and give your thoughts on a very old subject.

I think they took the time because they are a troll with nothing better to do.

Being in debt isnt pleasant and people don't walk away paying nothing - a myth perpetuated by the claims companies, so anything the troll said has been disproved and hopefully this thread can now be closed.

I agree with D.B on this,the whole business of buying and selling of peoples debts for profit leaves a bad taste in the mouth,to me its just totally immoral.It very easy to say if you cannot afford it dont buy it (and on that point i would agree with you ) however most people that go into debt for whatever reason are at the time able to afford it !The problems arise when someone falls ill or is made redundant.

You need a history lesson too. Hitler was in no position to storm across Europe 50 years ago - he committed suicide on 30th April 1945.

And I too agree with Donkey B. These debts are written off against tax by the original creditor. DCAs such as Cabot then eagerly take them off their hands for an average of 10 pence in the £ - sometimes more and sometimes even less but if we take 10p that's an average figure. They have not taken any risk they have not suffered loss yet they then go on and attempt to collect the entire amount of a previously written off debt. Most of these debts have also been securitised so the trail gets even more complex but you can bet on one thing the original creditor has made a very hefty profit on this debt.

Anyway as you've so much time on your hands stop posting daft comments here and getting flamed and go and read the Rise and Fall of The Third Reich by William L. Shirer who was an outstanding war correspondent and you might just learn that Herr Hitler was (thankfully) shoving up daisies and not storming down Carnaby Street with his Panzer divisions in the Swinging Sixties.

Surely the point is that CAG and its members don't advocate debt avoidance, merely encourage and advise in situations where DCAs and/or original lenders either break or bend the law to suit themselves while harassing debtors?

In so many cases, the reason for huge debt/inability to pay is either because of poor lending practices by the OC and/or unforeseen circumstances (illness, unemployment, redundancy, etc.) on behalf of the debtor.

If DCAs took a proactive, sympathetic approach, abiding by both the law and OFT guidelines, then the problems we see here would rarely arise.

As for Michael McIntyre, I may be a bit cynical, but did he pull out because his agent told him he'd get adverse publicity? Maybe he is a principled (if unfunny) man, if so, then I respect him for that, but usually there's more than just the one side to a story. As for leaving a DCA with no entertainment at short notice - well, if one is prepared to work for an industry that is so reviled, then it should be assumed that one will suffer the wrath of the righteously indignant - whether that's working for a DCA, Tesco, McDonalds, Shell, Unilever, etc.

If one's morals are dictated simply by money (profit) then one should accept the possibility of a backlash in some way - whether company director, call centre monkey or burger flipper.

I'll also remind our Cabot devotee that the purpose of these forums is to help people who are in debt, in a non-judgmental way; it is not a place for sanctimony of the sort she is peddling.

With my caring profession head on, I suspect that when Reddwarthing discovered that a relative had worked for a DCA, she suffered feelings of revulsion, and now seeks to rationalise her feelings by shifting the blame towards others, i.e. those in debt. She possibly feels that she will be associated with the aberrant behaviour in some way, and so is now trying to distract from it by talking about how awful other people are. Pope Adolf and his gang do it all the time when asked about criminal priests.

Now, Reddwarrthing, that'll be 15 guineas for the consultation. Next please!

This I thank you for, a rational polite answer, again I apologise for posting again and feel I am probably wasting my breath but I have been on the other side of people that do not pay what they owe, I have watched my own family struggle through business ownership because for whatever reasons their clients couldn't or wouldn't make payment and they put us into a position where we were chased for money we owed. I watched my father work every hour to claw his way back up. I have my own business now and I cannot afford to let people just not pay me, we all need to remember here too that everything you purchase is more expensive due to bad debtors.

This did in fact really make me laugh, It was over 50 years ago Hitler stormed across Europe but you can still talk about it should you wish, plus 'Statute barred' is something else I would like to see abolished, why should you walk away from what you owe just because a time period has elapsed?

I do see your anguish at people whos life takes a turn that causes them to fall into arrears, but to be honest that isn't the majority, it is the new culture of greed, people purchasing what they clearly cannot afford often with no intention of paying it back, you will come back all guns blazing at this comment as some of you will feel aggrevated by my presence here, but a lot of the anger is due to companies like Cabot daring to ask for what is owed. I have read some of the other threads here concerning the treatment some say they have received, I am going to reserve comment suffice to say the person I know has never operated in this fashion.

I have also linked this discussion elsewhere where the opinions and views are very differing. I stand by the fact I never meant to actually anger you, just partake in an adult discussion, there have been forums I've been on where this has happened and actually my original view has been altered, I am always open to new information.

Just answer this: What gives Cabot the right to purchase debts at 5% of their face value, then immediately start to charge 12% interest on the entire amount? Bear in mind that these debts have already been written off against tax by whoever it was that sold them to the scumbags Cabot in the first place?

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

Surely the point is that CAG and its members don't advocate debt avoidance, merely encourage and advise in situations where DCAs and/or original lenders either break or bend the law to suit themselves while harassing debtors?

In so many cases, the reason for huge debt/inability to pay is either because of poor lending practices by the OC and/or unforeseen circumstances (illness, unemployment, redundancy, etc.) on behalf of the debtor.

If DCAs took a proactive, sympathetic approach, abiding by both the law and OFT guidelines, then the problems we see here would rarely arise.

As for Michael McIntyre, I may be a bit cynical, but did he pull out because his agent told him he'd get adverse publicity? Maybe he is a principled (if unfunny) man, if so, then I respect him for that, but usually there's more than just the one side to a story. As for leaving a DCA with no entertainment at short notice - well, if one is prepared to work for an industry that is so reviled, then it should be assumed that one will suffer the wrath of the righteously indignant - whether that's working for a DCA, Tesco, McDonalds, Shell, Unilever, etc.

If one's morals are dictated simply by money (profit) then one should accept the possibility of a backlash in some way - whether company director, call centre monkey or burger flipper.

If my memory serves me correctly, MacIntyre had himself been in serious debt and had been chased by shoe scrapings such as Cabot. He did it out of principal.

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

I think this Cabot sympathiser has been, what the kids call, "owned".

Cabot have tried three times to get me and my wife into court via their business method. I've also seen off a libel case from them too. Quite frankly, nothing would give me greater joy than to see the entire Cabot staff (top down) face a 2011 of utter misery. Their business model is to reap more than they sow. I hope they try with me again this year, dealing with their office goons gave me no end of pleasure in 2009/10.

Excuse me for posting this but getting the link almost forced me to throw up my JD and coke. Forget last year but this year's Credit Today Awards were hosted by some comic Terry Alderton (who I have never heard off) and just look the cast of lowlifes who have received a gong! So life goes on

http://www.debtcollectionawards.co.uk

Edited by coledog

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

If my memory serves me correctly, MacIntyre had himself been in serious debt and had been chased by shoe scrapings such as Cabot. He did it out of principal.

But he/his agent would have known who Cabot were when originally accepting the booking, months in advance. You don't suddenly find out half an hour or even a few days/weeks before what the nature of the "gig" is.... After all, McIntyre had received requests NOT to perform. That's why he didn't. He couldn't afford the adverse publicity.

In the words of Jim Royle, "Principle my arse..." ;)