Faulty laptop

dx748
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there.

A while ago my laptop developed a fault in that it would continually boot then shut down and restart....over and over. I tried all avenues to restore it to normal but wound up taking it to a local independent computer store to get them to look at it. They reinstalled all the software and apparently got it all up and running, however having paid for their service (£45) and taking it home, on the very first boot there was simply no display - the screen didn't work! This being a completely unrelated problem to the one it went in for, I took it back about 3 weeks ago. They believe there is a problem with an 'invertor' or something (apparently this illuminates the screen) and it needs a new one. I have rung them three times since only to be told that they are struggling to obtain a replacement for my machine, claiming it is too old (?! - it has windows vista, so not that old!). They continue to endeavour to locate this part. I have said I would be in touch again this coming week for an update. I am being very patient.

Problem is, where do I stand if they cannot find this part? Are they obligated to sort this one way or another? I have not been at all confrontational and am giving them plenty of time, however I have a feeling I will have a rocky road ahead. This problem occurred whilst in their care, so do they have an obligation to fix it or replace it with an equivalent? Just trying to sound out what people think before it kicks off (which I fully expect might happen!)

Thanks in advance,

Steven.

Edited by dx748

Hi Steven, what make and model is your laptop?, If you can please let me know, then I will have a word with my suppliers, and let you know, what I can find out for you.

PS im in the trade, and have been for a number of years.

Hope this helps

be safe

Nige :)

As commercial links are not permitted on here, I have sent you by pm a link to a site that does a lot of laptop parts including 'invertors' and the most requested part for any laptop, power sockets.

You can ask them yourself if they have one for your model and if yes, then pass it on to your repairer. They are a sod to fit so not a lot will do it plumping to replace the whole screen instead.

invertors being a sod to fit????

your thinking backlight, which is nearly impossible to replace without replacing the screen

the invertor is easy to fit, its a seperate board sitting just under the screen, ussually only 4 screws on the plastic suround of the screen, then max of 2 screws in the invertor

05-screen-inverter.jpg

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

ok sorry thats me jumping the gun....

ussually it about a 50/50 chance of backlight or invertor, though its amazing how invertors can still work sometimes worst ive seen is one that had been bent that much that it had cracked in the middle then taped back togeather, was still working, making a buzzing noise but still working.

was one of the things i insisted the person had replaced

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: