flasharry

Housing and council tax benefit fraud

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3604 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I wonder if anyone can help me.....

I am at the moment frauding the local benefits office...

I am a 68yr old single man living on pension credit, my youngest son (25yrs) lives with me. He lost his job at the end of 2008. my local council gave me housing/council tax benefits. my son got a new job in May 2009, I should have told the benefits office immediately, I didn't. Early in June 2009 I had a heart attack, and I have been in and out of hospital ever since. I kept putting off going to see the benefits office and now it's December and I will be in deep trouble with the benefits office.

Although i'm scared i am going to see them in the next few days to admit my fraud and throw myself on their mercy.

What I would like to know is what they might do to me?:Cry:

If you come clean and say that you've been ill, etc, it will be better than them finding out and coming to see you. I wouldn't go in there and use the word "fraud" though.... just say it was an oversite on your part due to being so ill and you're sorry.

Having a heart attack is a big deal! They'll probably just ask you to repay the money....

They will ask him how much board is he receiving from his son for staying there. Board will be part for living, part for electric and part for gas usage.

Hence if the OP says for example, £20 a week then they may calculate that £10 is board, and £10 is towards costs. Any person on benefits from the £10 he is allowed £10 income before any deductions are allowed. (Single parents/married couples I think is £15)

The property is rented on the OP's name and not his sons. His son is a lodger by invitation. IF the OP say his son is staying for free they may not believe him so best is to say that he gets something like £20 or £30 a week.

(Note: Figures given above are from when I was unemployed and may have gone up a bit since then).

NOW......... the problem arises with the Council Tax. They should also have been notified and his son, after having had the applicable deductions made, should be paying Council Tax.

If I have helped you or made you laugh by some witty remark and brightened your day................ the scales to click are over to your left hand side. :D:D

Relatives are not treated as lodgers for HB/CTB purposes even if they are adults. The son will be treated as a non-dependant and the Council will work out how much needs to be deducted from the HB/CTB according to what he earns. This amount is legally set and any money currently given to the OP by his son will not make a difference as to what is eventually deducted.

I agree with PriorityOne go to your Council explain the change giving the date your son got his job and that you didn't report it before because of your ill health - don't say you have committed fraud. If you can put it in writing and hand in details of your son's income and any supporting documentation you have about your health problems - remember to take the letter to a Customer Service Centre or whatever they have and get a receipt for everything handed in.

Thankyou for your replies..

I went to the council offices this morning.I saw an assistant at customer services and told her what the problem was, I did mention fraud. She seemed to think it was no 'big deal' she copied my last letter from the benefits office and the last three of my son's wage slips that i took with me. she will give the copies to the benefits office. The assistant said that they would probably just slap my wrist and make me pay money back, so now i'm waiting for a letter from them. I'm not going down there again if i can help it, parking and my disablement make it difficult, so i'll write a letter to the council tax ppl.

thanx again for your help...billy..

Good luck, I'm sure it'll be as they said. :)

Rae.

I'll keep you posted.....he he he...posted...get it?:rolleyes:

I'm sure saw a 'health' forums on Consumer Forums, but I can't find it:confused:

UPDATE.....

I recieved a letter from housing benefits saying that they have overpaid benefits from 2nd of November 09 and that I owe about £35 council tax!!!

It seems that they have not noticed my misdemeanor, are ignoring it, or will be dealing with it in the new year. I will not be reminding them!!!

Thanx for your help .....:D

Are you getting gaurenteed pension credit? That may explain why the overpayment is fairly low. You did the right thing sorting it before it got out of hand. All the best for 2010!

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.