bank taking all my JSA for overdraft charges.

vanman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5244 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

guys and gals....i really need some help here!

its been a few years now since i was reclaiming bank charges for myself and family and friends and it all changed since then and im not too sure on the current situation. but here is my problem.....

After being self employed for the last 4 years i was forced to fold every thing (not bankruptcy) due to the sheer lack of work and had to sign on for JSA. A big step down for me as i have not had to claim anything for 18 years.

As a result of lack of funds in my halifax account i started to miss some DD'S and had charges on top and then unauthorised overdraft fees and just snowballing on with more charges. a couple of months ago i agreed with them to accept a temporary OD even higher to stop more charges and pay back gradually at £50 per month. this was fine for first few months but the last payment i missed for some reason. My only income at present is JSA, i was horrified this week to discover that they had taken the whole £128 this week and taken my OD limit from £250 back down to its original of £100 leaving me pennyless for the next 2 weeks and still £50 over my limit, of which i am now just waiting to see if they have the cheek to charge me for that!.

I was told by some one at the job center today that they cannot take JSA payments and should ask for this back.

i need to know if anyone can clarify this for me and if so how can i go about getting it back?

with christmas fast approaching and 4 kids wanting half the Argos catalogue for christmas, words cant even describe how down im feeling at the moment.

any help would be great please, even in the way of template letters.

I'm no expert in things really but i do have 36 years of experience in life, and some of those years fighting off bailiffs.

Nicknamed Victor Meldrew among friends as i love to complain!;)

i have been looking at this thread and there are so many posts and so much to read and some of the links dont work for the template letters anymore as posts are few years old.

i just dont know where to start!

I'm no expert in things really but i do have 36 years of experience in life, and some of those years fighting off bailiffs.

look up the benefits administration act

any idea which section i am looking at please?

its such a big act.

Get paid by Giro or open a POCA a post office account

should stop the bank for now

yeah thts what the guy at job center said. going to have to do one of the two before christmas.

i have been looking at this thread and there are so many posts and so much to read and some of the links dont work for the template letters anymore as posts are few years old.

i just dont know where to start!

Here are all the bank charges templates: The Consumer Forums - Bank charges templates (consumer)

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Here are all the bank charges templates: The Consumer Forums - Bank charges templates (consumer)

i have found the letter for 'RIGHT OF APPROPRIATION' im asuming this will only ASK them not to take anymore money. but how can i ask them to repay previous money they have taken if at all possible?

You need to start a new thread in the appropriate bank forum. I see you have been advised to open a parachute account. Do this ASAP!!

The list of available account will be in the link that MIKE770 gave you. ;)

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

You need to start a new thread in the appropriate bank forum. I see you have been advised to open a parachute account. Do this ASAP!!

The list of available account will be in the link that MIKE770 gave you. ;)

i did start a new thread here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/236720-halifax-taking-all-my.html#post2625393

seem to be having more response here tho.

i hand delivered today 'RIGHT OF APPROPRIATION' letter along with another letter asking for money to be credited back along with charges plus a bit of a sob story and will see what will happen next.

i just had a call from them today (nothing to do with the letter i sent) and asking me to make a payment to bring my account back into credit.

i explained why i was overdrawn and situation with the letter and he said that if i want to go to the bank and get my JSA payment that wouldnt be a problem and i can go and get it now. when i asked what condition this would leave my account in though he said IT WOULD TAKE ME FURTHER OVERDRAWN AND I WOULD INCUR FURTHER CHARGES ON TOP.

so i asked what the hell would be the point in me doing that? his reply......'just the way it is'

i phoned the bank today to find out what was happening after the deadline i gave them in my letter was up.....head office have not recieved my letter that i hand delivered to my local branch.

spoke to depty manager on phone who confirmd she had seen it but has been LOST in internal mail.

i had to make a complaint to the I.C.O.(Information Commissioner’s Office) in August 2008 when they lost my common financial statement that contained all my personal details and income and outgoings in just the same way. they insist that it is not lost but not arrived at the correct dept yet. over a week is plenty long enough to proccess a letter surely.

i was asked to bring in another letter tomorrow that they will fax straight away. when i said i will pop in to chat about this matter i was told i would not be able to as she will be busy. WRONG ANSWER!!! i will be kickin up such a stink you will be able to smell it from the other end of the high street!!!!

Edited by vanman