vanman

Halifax taking all my JSA for overdraft charges.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3649 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

guys and gals....i really need some help here!

its been a few years now since i was reclaiming bank charges for myself and family and friends and it all changed since then and im not too sure on the current situation. but here is my problem.....

After being self employed for the last 4 years i was forced to fold every thing (not bankruptcy) due to the sheer lack of work and had to sign on for JSA. A big step down for me as i have not had to claim anything for 18 years.

As a result of lack of funds in my halifax account i started to miss some DD'S and had charges on top and then unauthorised overdraft fees and just snowballing on with more charges. a couple of months ago i agreed with them to accept a temporary OD even higher to stop more charges and pay back gradually at £50 per month. this was fine for first few months but the last payment i missed for some reason. My only income at present is JSA, i was horrified this week to discover that they had taken the whole £128 this week and taken my OD limit from £250 back down to its original of £100 leaving me pennyless for the next 2 weeks and still £50 over my limit, of which i am now just waiting to see if they have the cheek to charge me for that!.

I was told by some one at the job center today that they cannot take JSA payments and should ask for this back.

i need to know if anyone can clarify this for me and if so how can i go about getting it back?

with christmas fast approaching and 4 kids wanting half the Argos catalogue for christmas, words cant even describe how down im feeling at the moment.

any help would be great please, even in the way of template letters.

I'm no expert in things really but i do have 36 years of experience in life, and some of those years fighting off bailiffs.

Nicknamed Victor Meldrew among friends as i love to complain!;)

see other post, but basically they cant touch your JSA so get in their faces and demand it back, I am sure the papers would love this story at the moment

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

I sotted the responses on the other thread which lead me here...

1st! Open a parachute (cash account) - I believe you have a link to the list. The Co-Op do a basic account by phone within 10 minutes with zero opening balance. The Post Office have their system for benefit payments too but it's restricted.

2. Be careful regarding taking calls unless you can record them. I'd suggest it's a local branch visit or letter only from now on. If you have Skype you could record outgoing calls (headphones/microphone).

3. Cancel all your direct debits - change to standing orders where possible. The chances are after 6 failed direct debit payments the bank will close your account. In fact unless you feel you can pay cancel everything.

4. The bank's simple reply is that the account is overdrawn and funds into it will be paid against them. The other problem is 'time' - they charge straight away and take time to repay and won't if they can get away with it. The local branch might seem a good choice but they are limited in what they can cancel. I think you've been directed to relevant areas to see what to do by some good people with sound advice.

5. By the sounds of it you might well be able to claim other benefits.

This might be a helpful link: Website of the UK government : Directgov

Needs a little searching but all benefits stuff is there as well as other useful informaion.

Hope that's a little help?

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

i have already cancelled all DD's but the thing i need to find out is can i actually get back any JSA money they have taken from me?

guy on the phone the other day said i can walk into the bank and get it back straight away but it would take me further over drawn and more charges.

just 2wks b4 xmas and kids want so much and we have very little money comming in.

just feel useless to the kids.

I'm no expert in things really but i do have 36 years of experience in life, and some of those years fighting off bailiffs.

i have already cancelled all DD's but the thing i need to find out is can i actually get back any JSA money they have taken from me?

guy on the phone the other day said i can walk into the bank and get it back straight away but it would take me further over drawn and more charges.

just 2wks b4 xmas and kids want so much and we have very little money comming in.

just feel useless to the kids.

Oh I can honestly relate to that feeling! ;)

Well if they refund you all the charges taken surely that'll put you in credit again? I'd even suggest you take the kids with you when you visit the branch and if you don't feel too easy take someone else for support. Try and be sure the branch is quite busy too - They hate being on show to the public and it might just work out better than you could imagine.

Sorry I cannot be of more help to you.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

i thought about doing that but our branch has a small room set a side and we have 5 kids lol.

i sent letter over a week ago asking for reply by today. if i have not heard anything by monday i may just go in.

since i last reclaimed charges from them in feb this year they have had another £630 from me that i have also asked for in the letter. not holding up much hope on that one tho with the way things are with the test case at the moment.

i thought about doing that but our branch has a small room set a side and we have 5 kids lol.

i sent letter over a week ago asking for reply by today. if i have not heard anything by monday i may just go in.

since i last reclaimed charges from them in feb this year they have had another £630 from me that i have also asked for in the letter. not holding up much hope on that one tho with the way things are with the test case at the moment.

Dare I say it - don't use the small room but get someone to deal with you openly. Don't feel uneasy about it - keep the pressure on them. You are doing no more than they did to you when you last explained the circumstances to them.

Anyhow I hope it works out okay!! :)

Michael

i phoned the bank today to find out what was happening after the deadline i gave them in my letter was up.....head office have not recieved my letter that i hand delivered to my local branch.

spoke to depty manager on phone who confirmd she had seen it but has been LOST in internal mail.

i had to make a complaint to the I.C.O. (Information Commissioner’s Office) in August 2008 when they lost my common financial statement that contained all my personal details and income and outgoings in just the same way. they insist that it is not lost but not arrived at the correct dept yet. over a week is plenty long enough to proccess a letter surely.

i was asked to bring in another letter tomorrow that they will fax straight away. when i said i will pop in to chat about this matter i was told i would not be able to as she will be busy. WRONG ANSWER!!! i will be kickin up such a stink you will be able to smell it from the other end of the high street!!!!

Edited by vanman