style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3629 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I have just been informed that I have been rejected by the Fire and Rescue service as I have a criminal record. This is despite the fact that I declared it on the application form at the beginning and have done numerous tests over the past 3 years for this position whilst they have known all along that i had this conviction.

My query is, is it legal for them to reject me on these grounds as having a record does not prohibit you from being a Firefighter as it does Police Officer and secondly have they conducted themselves correctly by not rejecting me at the earliest stage and have even gone as far as contacting my employer for a reference which could put my current employment in jeapordy?

Contact www.unlock.org.uk for advice. They are a charity set up to help ex offenders and are currently apealing to change the law regarding the Rehabilitation of Offenders in this country.

I'm afraid, in the UK, there is no such thing as rehabilitation....in many cases a conviction stays with you to the grave. This should not be the case - people should be given a second chance and the hope that in time, their past mistakes will be behind them and not ready to rear it's ugly head at any time.

The ROA is out of date and is a blanket cop out.

Good luck for your future.

Welcome to unlock.org.uk

Just to add, the above is a link to the page regarding the reforming of the Act. If this is passed in Parliament, it will help you with any future applications......what's to stop you re-applying for the Fire Service again if the new Act is made Law in this country?!

Write to your local MP....unlock are seeking as many supporters as possible.

Do not give up hope and keep trying!!

There is nothing to stop me reapplying again but even if that act is passed the Fire Service can make up their own criteria as they can use the children and vulnerable adult clause. This is due to my offence being a violent one even though it had nothing to do with children or vulnerable adults.