ourthodebt

Advice needed - Paid cabot but have letter from creditor to say already paid

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3629 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Ok this is a bit of a weird one.

i recently recevied a CCA through from cabot for a debt which has been on hold for a year while i waited for it. they demanded immediate payment in full which i did as it wasnt for the hugest amount in the world and i was able to borrow it from a family member (not ideal obviously).

however, while waiting i had also written directly to the creditor for a CCA request as i wanted to get the default removed from my account. they wrote back to me saying that the debt had been settled in full & no money was owing so they werent obliged to supply one.

i found this letter AFTER (typical) i had paid cabot as i had forgotten abou it. i rang cabot to ask them to refund my money as i had a letter confirming it had already been paid - they contacted the creditor who told them the letter was a mistake on their part and they would write to me to confirm this. i havent had another letter from the creditor since so maybe cabot made this up?

anyway - where do i stand legally on getting a refund if i have a letter pre dating the payment saying that it had already been paid in full?

any advice much appreciated!!!

Hi,

Sending a SAR to the Original Creditor, should let you know the score regards payments made.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

You should be speaking to the OC to find out if the information they have provided Cabot is correct.

I would also write a LETTER BEFORE ACTION to Cabot giving them 14 days to return the money mistakenly paid to them.....you have only been told on the phone, had nothing in writing, give them 14 days if they fail to provide in writing that it was a mistake then issue court papers....

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

I can tell you now if it was the other way round they would do EXACTLY the same to you.....

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html