h00vertime

speeding ticket second court date, advice needed plz :(

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3632 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

recently got a speeding ticket for doing 81 through average speed cameras in a 50 zone on the motorway, i sent in a guilty plea by post so i didnt have to go to court and have just got a letter back saying 'because of the seriousness of the offence or the amount of penalty points on your licence you are reuquired to attend court and disqualification is being considered"

i had no idea i was in this much trouble... i have 3 points on my license already, is a ban really probable???

does anyone have any advice for me for court that might help?? thanks in advance

Please don't use the following instead of proper legal advice, but I was under the impression that a ban is always a possibility if you exceed the speed limit by more than 30mph. Whether it's probably is a different matter.

If there is any reason why a ban would cause real hardship e.g. you would lose your job, disability, then get legal advice a.s.a.p. Some solicitors will offer a free initial appointment.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

You are correct. The amount you were speeding by is significant. It isn't based on 30mph but a percentage I believe. Your defence should be that you genuinely believed it was 70mph and if so yuou were still speeding, but by a reasonable amount. You are obviously horrified that it was 50mph and would not knowingly have driven that much above the limit - If that is the case.

Magistrates do base decisions on how the defendent appears. Smartly dressed (Respect for the court/system), polite (respect for the magistrates) and obvious concern and remorse do go a long way. Also if your livelihood depends on your licence they may be lenient.

Go in expecting a ban though. 81 in a 50 is considerable and a little luck on the day will be needed here.

Even if it was a 70 speed limit, you would still be in some trouble...

10% +4mph is the basic rule. 70mph x10% = 7mph, +4mph =11mph. 81mph is the limit of where you might have got away with it.

maybe a good idea to speak to a solicitor then?? ur average speeding ticket is 3 points and a fine is it not?? is there not a chance i will get 6 points and a bigger fine cause of the greater speed??

Minimum is 3 points and £60 fine. There is an option to refer MINOR cases to speed awareness courses if run by your local police. Yours woukld not qualify. You could get 3,4,5 or 6 points plus a ban.

10% +4mph is the basic rule. 70mph x10% = 7mph, +4mph =11mph. 81mph is the limit of where you might have got away with it.

Home Office guidelines are up to and including 10% + 2mph

Anything below this you "should" get a warning

Above that is prosecution, either fixed penalty or summons.

30mph+ over the speed limit brings you into the magistrates guidelines for disqualification.

Tell Me

Were Traffic Cones On The Motorway During The 50mph Zone