Interest after Judgment on regulated loans

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5203 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, newbie but any help would be very welcome.

I have a little legal knowledge but am woefully undereducated on interest after Judgment, and a friend has asked me for advice.

What exactly can lenders charge after Judgment? In the terms, it says they can continue to add contractual interest. The particulars of claim state they can add statutory interest if they wish. However, someone told me that since October this year, you cannot add contractual or statutory interest to CCA regulated loans.

I'm basically clueless and if anyone could break it all down for me with references to the relevant law I will forever be indebted to you, no pun intended.

Thanks very muc:)h

If the agreement states that they can add interest after a CCJ then they may do so.

However, Statutory interest cannot be added to debt that is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974

S69 interest is interest which is added to the principal sum under the County Courts Act 1984 S69

Why arent they entitled to it?

Because its a regulated agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the County Courts (Interest on Judgment Debts) Order 1991 (No. 1184 (L. 12)) section 2(3) states they are not entitled to it !!

The County Courts (Interest on Judgment Debts) Order 1991 (No. 1184 (L. 12))

The general rule

2. -

(3) Interest shall not be payable under this Order where the relevant judgment -

(a) is given in proceedings to recover money due under an agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

(b) grants

(i) the landlord of a dwelling house, or

(ii)the mortgagee under a mortgage of land which consists of or includes a dwelling house,

a suspended order for possession.

• 1 month later...

Hi

is anyone able to help? Sorry to pester. I have noticed s,130 of the Consumer Credit Act says a creditor must give notice if they are going to add interest after judgment. There has been no notice given, but the agreement has a term allowing the bank to add it.

What would vbe the position?

The original agreement must contain a clause allowing for contractual interest post judgment. This was confirmed in the case of OFT V First National.

I have noticed s,130 of the Consumer Credit Act says a creditor must give notice if they are going to add interest after judgment. There has been no notice given, but the agreement has a term allowing the bank to add it.

This can only applied on judgments after the Consumer Credit Act 2006 came into force and they must notify you of their intention of this

Edited by supasnooper
typo