Barclays so called online security

stan250
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Barclays online login requirements are the worst I have come across.

They give you this stupid 12 digit membership number which has to remain written down as its too long to remember. Their login requirements are too long winded and too easily prone to user login error and as part of it has to remain written down - they even give you a card with the number on it to carry around, just to help any would-be thief - how the hell is this secure or customer friendly to use.

Hi Stan,

I know what you're getting at but have to say I find the security both useable and reassuring.

The 12 digit code IS on their little card but you then have to have a password. Or you have to use the PIN Sentry machine which I have that operates using one of your debit cards and generates a log-in code each time I use the system.

The only problems I can foresee are if you leave your 12 digit number near your computer and:-

1. Leave your password written down near your computer as well.

2. Leave your debit card, PIN Sentry card machine and your PIN No written down near your computer.

If it keeps fraudsters out of my a/c's, then I'm happy. :D

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Stan,

I know what you're getting at but have to say I find the security both useable and reassuring.

The 12 digit code IS on their little card but you then have to have a password. Or you have to use the PIN Sentry machine which I have that operates using one of your debit cards and generates a log-in code each time I use the system.

The only problems I can foresee are if you leave your 12 digit number near your computer and:-

1. Leave your password written down near your computer as well.

2. Leave your debit card, PIN Sentry card machine and your PIN No written down near your computer.

If it keeps fraudsters out of my a/c's, then I'm happy. :D

Any security system which supplies part of that security code in a carry around card format is by definition, not as secure as a system which dosen't.

I find the system unecessarily cumbersome - the fact that you dont, is irrelevant.

I find the system unecessarily cumbersome - the fact that you dont, is irrelevant.

Hi Stan,

When you post on a forum, you may get replies, some of which differ from your own opinion.

If you just want a rant and only replies from those who entirely agree with you, please say so.

:cool:

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Stan,

When you post on a forum, you may get replies, some of which differ from your own opinion.

If you just want a rant and only replies from those who entirely agree with you, please say so.

:cool:

I posted no rant.

Simply disagreeing with my original post, you added nothing to the discussion plus you made it clear that you feel that your opinion should prevail: looks like you are the one who dosen't like to be disagreed with.

Oh, and your post was patronising and condescending - who do you think you are?

Edited by stan250

you added nothing to the discussion

What discussion ??

I added my own opinion, which you dismissed as irrelevant. :rolleyes:

I shall add no more.

What discussion ??

I added my own opinion, which you dismissed as irrelevant. :rolleyes:

I shall add no more.

Yes, the fact that you happen to like the format, is indeed irrelevant: you seem to believe that because you have nothing better to do than post 10,000+ times, qualifies you to hold your opinion as sacred and you expect everyone else to do likewise.

I can tell you now, it dosen't and we don't.

Edited by stan250

I find the number easy to remember and of course you can always save it on your home pc if your not so good remembering numbers.

What would you prefer Stan? The current method or an easily hackable process. Barclays security is the top rated in the industry and if it means jumping through a few hoops to keep my money secure I'm all for it.

I find the number easy to remember and of course you can always save it on your home pc if your not so good remembering numbers.

What would you prefer Stan? The current method or an easily hackable process. Barclays security is the top rated in the industry and if it means jumping through a few hoops to keep my money secure I'm all for it.

I never store any passwords on my computer for security reasons.

Likewise, banks always tell people not to write down their passcodes/passwords etc, which is why I find it odd that Barclays supply a printed card with part of the security login details on it.

I also find the whole login rigmerole they put you through, cumbersome, and it has shut me out more than a few times.

I dont agree that the only options are either the Barclays method or an easily hackable process: other UK banks seem to manage with simpler more customer friendly systems. But Barclays is not usually customer oriented........

Also you can use the 'forgotten you PIN sentry' route. This will revert to the old method and will allow you to transfer money between accounts and view balances but not make any payments to 3rd parties.

I often use this to save the need of carrying the PIN sentry round with me.

The customer number is not a password and is useless without then entering your details from the PIN sentry. I'd consider it safe to store on your PC.

If its so sufficiently "useless" that it can be carried around on a printed card in a wallett, or stored on a computer, then I can see no logical reason to have it as part of their ridiculously cumbersome login process.

It's only useless as a single entity, just like the PIN sentry is without the card and/or PIN. Together they give a high level of security.

I hated them at first, but now 2 or so years down the line I'm used to them and it doesn't bother me one bit. As I mentioned in my last post you can always use the forgot your pin sentry route to save carrying it about

It's only useless as a single entity, just like the PIN sentry is without the card and/or PIN. Together they give a high level of security.

I hated them at first, but now 2 or so years down the line I'm used to them and it doesn't bother me one bit. As I mentioned in my last post you can always use the forgot your pin sentry route to save carrying it about

I really dont see that either taken together or separately, a code that is deemed sufficiently expendable that it can be carried around in written form, adds much to security without unecessarily contributing to making the whole process too complicated.

You like the system and I think its the least user friendly I have come across - we will have to agree to differ.

• 1 month later...

stan- i am with you- ive had an account with them since june- ive NEVER been able to log in, ive ended up using about 6 different passcodes- apparently they are somehow "linked" so that if you forget one, you have to re-order the other. Then the new one comes. this is somehow not linked to my old one.. i order another, it doesnt work.. they suspect fraud on my account ive tried to log in so many times. they use a long number with means nothing to you, a membership number which means nothing, then some crappy "memorable word" then, you get locked out. ive never had this problem with halifax or lloyds, its this crappy site, its the worst ever!!

stan- i am with you- ive had an account with them since june- ive NEVER been able to log in, ive ended up using about 6 different passcodes- apparently they are somehow "linked" so that if you forget one, you have to re-order the other. Then the new one comes. this is somehow not linked to my old one.. i order another, it doesnt work.. they suspect fraud on my account ive tried to log in so many times. they use a long number with means nothing to you, a membership number which means nothing, then some crappy "memorable word" then, you get locked out. ive never had this problem with halifax or lloyds, its this crappy site, its the worst ever!!

oh yes you are so right - those numbers which they hand you which you cannot change to something that you can remember, so they inevitably have to be kept in written form - how the .... is that supposed to be a secure system I wonder. It also smacks of Barclays' typical arrogant don't care attitude towards customers actual needs.

Barclays once again proving that they would rather have computers for customers, than humans.