H Cohen / Cl Finance MBNA - CCJ Set Aside help needed

Guest dvdriley
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5088 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest dvdriley

MBNA ctrdit card, they issued proceedings, i acknowledged service and intention to dispute whole claim electronically, i sent an embarrassed defence to court and relevant docu,emnt requesy to HLC and never heard anything. THEY ENTERED JUDGEMENT BY DEFAULT!!! Court say they never received my defence, sent recorded delivery, post office web site says it has not been delivered, sent it Oct 22nd, now what.

N244 to set judgement aside ? can i transfer case to my local court on same form. Should i ask for case to be struck out? Advice please

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MBNA ctrdit card, they issued proceedings, i acknowledged service and intention to dispute whole claim electronically, i sent an embarrassed defence to court and relevant docu,emnt requesy to HLC and never heard anything. THEY ENTERED JUDGEMENT BY DEFAULT!!! Court say they never received my defence, sent recorded delivery, post office web site says it has not been delivered, sent it Oct 22nd, now what.

N244 to set judgement aside ? can i transfer case to my local court on same form. Should i ask for case to be struck out? Advice please

Whatever you do; always do it via Special Delivery when dealing with these characters.

• 2 months later...
Guest dvdriley

Getting close to MBNA going to court. Should i go with a defence of an unenforceable agreement as they can only produce an application and a concocted agreement with my name spelt wrong, or invalid dn giving me " 14 days from date of this notice " to pay

Guest dvdriley

I received a claim form in respect of an MBNA credit card. I sent cpr request to CL Finance and received no response. i incorrectly thouht if they didnt respond that was the end of the matter. judgement was entered against me. I have noe applied to have this set aside The hearing date is 26th Feb

I have sent a furthet cpr request to CLF but still no response.

The DN is all correct. The cca they sent is a photo copy of several pages stabled together with signatures from either party, although I suspect this was an internet app.

The t & c's refer to late payment fees of £25 but also stables is further t & c's refering to £12.00 late payment charges. Date of sgreement March 2006.

Do i have any legitimate defence

It's too late now to ask if you had read all the literature that came with the claim form........for anyone reading the thread in the future, always complete the Acknowledgment of Service, then refer to this thread -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/241827-legal-action-how-start.html

To be honest, if you think the agreement is compliant and the Default Notice is compliant then I cannot see how you can achieve a set aside.

However, please can you post up the agreement and the DN.

The reason I ask is that this CAGer defended against MBNA\Restons, it may be that your docs and circumstances are similar -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dca-legal-successes/170484-fairbyblue-mbna-restons-court.html

Guest dvdriley

sorry, i need to clarify more... the claim is for the full amount. i acknowledged the claim indicating that i would dispute the total claim. I sent cpr to to clf and got no response. I sent embarrassed defence to court who claim not to have received it dispite me sending proof from roysl mail that they did recieve it. therefore ccj entered. request to set aside as defence was sent. since sent further cpr to cl finance and still no response. court hearing date for application to be set aside on 26th feb. i dont want to waste your time scanning cca etc as they are ok but they have not / will not comply with cpr.and i therefore do not know what they are relying on

Guest dvdriley

claim form from CL Finance re MBNA card. The cca is coorect for internet application and no faukts with dn however... the claim is for the full amount. i acknowledged the claim indicating that i would dispute the total claim. I sent cpr to to clf and got no response. I sent embarrassed defence to court who claim not to have received it dispite me sending proof from roysl mail that they did recieve it. therefore ccj entered. request to set aside as defence was sent. since sent further cpr to cl finance and still no response. court hearing date for application to be set aside on 26th feb. i dont want to waste your time scanning cca etc as they are ok but they have not / will not comply with cpr.and i therefore do not know what they are relying on

I've pointed you to pt2537's post which clearly sets out what you need to do if you wish to dispute the claimants behaviour to CPR.

In my opinion, if the creditor produces the required docs in court, a Judge will be likely to award judgment to the creditor.

You really cannot expect a Judge to find otherwise......you could ask for an adjournment ........ and I'd expect the Judge would politely decline your request.

Please may I ask that you keep to one thread with a creditor as I've noticed that you have several threads running on this creditor -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/247988-clf-mbna-court-case.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/236585-h-cohen-cl-finance.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/227632-howard-cohen-cl-finance.html

Guest dvdriley

OK, i have now read numerous threads and gone through the whole file again.

This debt was assigned to CL Finance in Feb 2009. I was originally making a regular payment to them until my circumstances changed and that stopped.

I have never received notice of assignment or dn from CL Finance. should i have done?

Guest dvdriley

long story but i have a hearing this friday for a ccj set aside against dca for amex debt.

cpr request ignored twice

defective dn is now my defence. when do i send defence or do i just take it to court. claim form ewas issued and defence sent but due to variuos court cock ups and my cock ups nothing was received.

this is now a hearing for ccj set aside.

as i said dn defective due to only giving me 12 days, also debt assignment letter from dca not amex. should amex have sent one.

is it cheeky to ask someone to point me in the direction as to where i can find a defective dn defence template.

thanks

Guest dvdriley

I have just keft a hearing for CCJ to be set aside that lasted 45 mins instead of allocated 15 mins. It is with regard to MBNA - HOWARD COHEN -MBNA.

Despite 3 requests the CPR was ignored, I believed that was my defence for set aside. How DJ said, no, I was at that stage to give a full defence of the claim. CL sols gave me a copy agreement and termination letter 5 mns before hearing. DJ said she has to be sure that I had an argument and a good chance of suceeding. What was I relying on. I thought that was unfair as I had to show my hand,

I replied I believed I had a 100% chance of succedding based on an invalid DN. For 10 mins she though I was talking about a CCJ default notice!!!

Then CL sols asked if i have not got a copy of the DN then how do i know it is faulty. I was stuck here.

Anyway its now been adjourned for me to serve full defence on other side and copy to court. I am ordered to also show which part of the CCA 1974 i AM RELYING ON AND ATTACH A COPY.

tHE dn sent to me ia for arrears and their claim ids for full amount owed,. thereofre they cannot issue a new one.

The DN is dated 9th Jan 2009, and remedy date is 26/1/09

My understanding is that for 1st class post receipt is assumed to be 2nd working day after posting......assuming it was posted the day of typing that means i would have got it on 13th Jan therefore it is not defective.

If it was sent 2nd class i would have got it till 15th Jan making it defective.

Does one presume they post it the day the letter is dated.

When the judge says well you had the DN all along , why wait for another what do i say.

How do i prepare alll this.

I THINK I CAN WIN THIS....PLEASE HELP

Hi Dvd

I believe service days begin the day after posting so if the DN was posted 9th Jan which was a Friday then the 1st day of service would be 12th jan and service of 2nd class post would be 15th jan. Your first clear day would be 16th jan and the 14th day would be 29th jan.

If posted 1st class the 14th day would be 27th jan

Thats how I see it.

Also on the DN does it say remedy before 26th Jan or by the 26th Jan

Well I think it is short on days to remedy ....

from section 88 of the CC act

Details of breach of agreement and action required to remedy, or pay compensation for, the breach

A specification of:--

(a) the provision of the agreement alleged to have been breached; and

(b) the nature of the alleged breach of the agreement, specifying clearly the matters complained of; and either

© if the breach is capable of remedy, what action is required to remedy it and the date, being a date [not less than fourteen days] after the date of service of the notice, before which that action is to be taken; or

(d) if the breach is not capable of remedy, the sum (if any) required to be paid as compensation for the breach and the date, being a date [not less than fourteen days] after the date of service of the notice, before which it is to be paid.

It doesnt say 14days from the date of service so I take it that date of service is not one of the clear days

I am happy to be corrected if my understanding is wrong :) I hope it isnt wrong though .....

Hello Folks!

09/01/2009 Friday = DN Date, and assumed Date of Posting 1st Class.

+2 Working Days gives us a Date of Service of...

13/01/2009 Tuesday = Legal Date of Service.

The 14 full and clear Days that the Act demands starts on the next day, add +14 and we get...

27/01/2009 = Statutory 14 clear days.

If MBNA said you had to pay by, on or before 26/01/2009, then they are at least a day short, and the Notice is defective even when Posted via 1st Class.

It gets worse for them if they cannot prove 1st Class, or you have some other proof, such as a 2nd Class Envelope within which the Notice was sent, or a Barcode or Franking Date mark that might reveal that the Notice was posted later than the date on the Notice.

Such as, for example, if they didn't actually Post it until the following Monday, and their Franking Machine or the Royal Mail system added Monday's Date. In that case, Date of Service would be +2 Working Days from then.

The point being, if it has Monday's date on it, then irrespective of anything else, it was not Served and was clearly still in transit, further confirming that the very earliest you could have received it was Tuesday. Legal Date of Service would be Wednesday, i.e. +2 Working Days from Date of Posting.

Your next step is to read all the DN Threads, and make sure you fully understand the issues.

HTH

Cheers,

BRW

Guest dvdriley

I am currently going through all threads but 3 things worry me about this DJ

1. She thought i was talking about a CCJ default and has no knowledge of CCA dn's

2. what happens when she says if you already had the DN why did you request another,

3. What if she says " well its only a couple of days out!!!!!