self-employment issue at work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone might be able to let me know about my rights regarding this issue.

I work on a self-employed basis in my spare time, in addition to my day-job.

When I originally set myself up as being self-employed, I notified my employer, and they had no quarrels with this whatsoever. In fact, I was actually assisted to a certain degree, with the process of becoming self-employed, by them.

My employer has recently stated however, that they would like me to cease my self-employed work. They have stated that they believe that I should not have any other distractions etc, but are really just doing this as they are worried about me going my own way a few months down the line (despite the fact that I'm not even considering this!)

Although my contract t&c says that I must seek permission before I can have a 2nd job (Which clearly I have done), is there any legislation that means I can't be forced to wind-up my self-employment? I would be at a financial loss from doing so, as I've invested in equipment (never mind time) and don't see why I should have to, because of their change of heart.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Tim

They've said that they believe that you shouldn't have any other distractions.

Have there been any circumstances in which your second job has compromised your performance in your main job?

I would write to your employer, stating why you feel their decision is unreasonable and that to now cease your secondary work would be to your detriment.

Ask that they reconsider, and ask that they give examples of any circumstances in which they feel your second job has compromised your ability to do your first.

I can't think of any legislation regarding this matter (though I'm no expert).

You had a contractual obligation that you seek their permission prior to taking this work, which you did.

Unless they can now prove that taking this extra work has been to their detriment, I think it's unreasonable of them to change their minds.

Are there any restrictive covenants in your T&C's that would prevent you from starting out on your own? Terms regarding entering into competition?