Sky

youngfresh
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5201 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an on screen message come up saying "No satelite signal received" so I phone up Sky technical support. The first words (past account info) wereyour system is 4 yrs old would you like to take out cover on it. DECLINED. Next We have to send a technician to test the signalit will cost you £65 Have had quite a few calls for insurance of sky products just seems a bit funny. Any suggestions?

what number did you call as Sky themselves do not offer insurance on sky equipment but they do pormote domestic and general throught the sky mag etc

when you call sky the would always walk you through procedures over the phone to try and resolve it before mentioning a service call.

have you tried a quick reboot of the system?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Secondly - would you phone the BBC because you couldnt get a TV picture from your aerial? Sky's channels are broadcast from a satellite constellation that beams 100's of channels.

If you do not have the technical expertise or suffer from vertico and don;t want to see if a birds nest is in your dish, then get a local aerial/satellite firm that comes recommended to give your system a check out.

Secondly - would you phone the BBC because you couldnt get a TV picture from your aerial?

If just the BBC channels were down then yes I probably would, same if my satellite receiver |(i don't have one btw) booted up and said no signal..I might as a first port of call phone Sky to see if there was a problem

that either they knew about or could help diagnose as in some of their equipment as faulty? I'd most certainly try and avoid paying an independent engineer and only as a last resort...

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

Like Sky, the BBC don't run the transmission network either. A great story was back in the 90's folk phoning Sky to see if the satellite moved as they couldn't recieve anything. :) Nobody thought that their DISH might have moved instead!

As Sky don;t have their own staff erecting dishes (it is sub-contracted) their minimum charge for a call-out can esily be beaten by a local installer. Since they cannot remotely diagnose anything, except poll your Sky+ to see how much money you owe them, I'm surprised you'd think Sky would provide anything for free.. :)

Sky did try to help they walked me through a few different options LNB reset etc. It was technical support I phoned do were the ones who asked me to take out an extended warranty as my equipment was 4 years old.

I have tried getting up on the roof to see if I could fix it but I don't know what to look for. Local aerial fitters wouldn't go up as the place where the dish is has glass tiles( I actually was on the roof above the tiles but they ouldn't listen) Decided to hold out until I move in the new year just remove everything other than the bare minimun package wise

• 1 month later...

No signal been recieved can be down to various things. Was there an error code along with the message, 28 or 29 something like that.

You say the roof has glass tiles? did you have to go over these to get to the dish? If you did then an installer/engineer probably wouldnt go over these, I certainly wouldnt allow one of my engineers to cross these.

Sky do have their own engineers, not everything is sub contracted out, some of the work is but a lot is done in house. typically speaking if a van turns up that is covered in printouts from programmes then they are in house, if its anything else they are subbies.

Teh £65 deal from sky is a good one. If you contact a local company they will typically charge more. A service call rate, plus parts. whereas the £65 covers everything.