what should I do now - if anything

flooz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4848 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Capital one couldn't produce a credit agreement, so sent 'scott's letter' (as advised http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/221505-new-rules-loans-credit.html#post2501581 here).

Received telephone call from them requesting payment over telephone to bring account up to date, which we decline, and requested they correspondence with us by letter.

Received today monthly statement which is now obviously incorporating late/non payment charges, as well as accruing interest.

Is there any particular letter I should send? As the account is 'in dispute' aren't continuing charges supposed to be put on hold? Indeed, do I need to do anything? Or do i just let things take their course and wait for DCA letters to start arriving?

Any assistance greatfully received.

Many thanks.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

The account being in dispute does not stop them from adding interest and default charges. They simply can't ask you to pay until such time as the agreement is deemed enforceable, or not as the case may be.

:!:Don't believe them! The wool they try to pull over your eyes is 50% cotton. :!:

Hi,

Are you sure that the dispute letter suggests that they can't add interest and default charges? I had initially had the same belief, but couldn't find anything to back it up.

The only references I can find regarding limitations whilst in dispute are:

May not ask for payment against this account.

I am not obliged to offer any payment against this account.

Cannot register any data with a third party.

Cannot take any enforcement action, including registering Defaults.

Cannot pass the account on to a third party for collection.

Cannot sell the account.

:!:Don't believe them! The wool they try to pull over your eyes is 50% cotton. :!:

OK. This was in the text of the letter I sent (advised on a previous thread in General Debt)

As the time limit for providing the true copy has now expired, you are now in default of my request. Any account I hold with you is now in legal dispute. Whilst the account remains in dispute, you are not permitted to ask for any payment, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you. Furthermore, whilst the dispute remains, you are not entitled to charge any interest on the account, nor make any further charges to the account. Additionally, you are not entitled to register any information on this account with any credit reference agency.

So I take it, that's not right then. :confused:

update: CapOne have today sent a signed credit agreement some 9 weeks after the initial SAR letter was sent; They'd initially tried to get away with providing a blank agreement, using the Section 3 (?) rule, which I followed up with a letter putting account into dispute.

What's bothering me is why only now have they produced this? Is it relevant? Do I now just accept they have an enforceable agreement? Does the fact that the agreement was produced out of time have any bearing on the matter?

Any further assistance is much appreciated.

Does the document that they have sent contain all the prescribed items? If it doesn't then it's unenforceable.

Just because they say it's enforceable doesn't necessarily mean that it is.

Can you scan it, remove sensitive information and post it up for inspection?

OK. This was in the text of the letter I sent (advised on a previous thread in General Debt)

As the time limit for providing the true copy has now expired, you are now in default of my request. Any account I hold with you is now in legal dispute. Whilst the account remains in dispute, you are not permitted to ask for any payment, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you. Furthermore, whilst the dispute remains, you are not entitled to charge any interest on the account, nor make any further charges to the account. Additionally, you are not entitled to register any information on this account with any credit reference agency.

So I take it, that's not right then. :confused:

From further reading I think that you are correct in believing that they should not add interest and charges whilst the account is in dispute. It also appears that whilst they should not, they most definitely will - as you have found out.

sorry, but I don't seem to be able to get it a 'sensible' size. Page 2 of letter. Accompanied with the letter and agreement is 5 pages of printed T&C's, which may or may not be the T&C's present at time of agreement. As they do not appear to form part of the actual agreement in their current form, but of course may have been in small print on the reverse of the agreement signed. Hope this is all of assistance.

2ziric1.jpg

Hi,

It is difficult to read the copy of the credit agreement they have supplied you with, but from what can be seen, it is, at the very best, a poor application form. It is devoid of most, if not all of the prescribed terms. E.G.

What is the interest rate? What are the repayments? What is the credit limit?

As they state in the letter, the ombudsman is unlikely to assist with enforceability issues.

If I had that as a CCA, I would write back and advise them that due to certain prescribed terms being missing from it (the CCA), you consider the alleged account/debt to be in dispute. It's likely they won't respond. I'd then sit and wait for them to make the next move. The call is yours, though.

I'll try again, just in case I manage to get it clearer, although the original isn't brilliant. It looks like it might have been 'distorted' through faxing or similar.

There are T&C's, which include interest rate, etc (but no credit limit, as that has been increased from time to time) but they are separate and don't form part of the signed document (they actually appear to just to have been printed to be included with their recent letter. Am I right to understand that the T&C's should form part of the SIGNED document?? If this is the case, is there a template letter that I can use as a basis for my response? I'm not brilliant at writing from scratch. I have sent a 'account in dispute letter', but that was sent after they originally provided a blank agreement, possibly in an effort to gain time for coming up with this one. (if you see what I mean). As their letter above shows, they do not accept the dispute. So should I do another but based on a different dispute now? Many thanks for your continuing help. :-D

Edited by flooz

Hi,

As far as I am aware the prescribed terms and the signature must be on the same side of the document.

The document they have sent is an application form. There is a line about halfway down and starts "I have read the terms and conditions..." and goes on to read "if my application is accepted".

Personally, I'd sit and wait for their next move.

Thanks again Usaname. So, it looks like the T&C's weren't drawn up correctly in the first place: Perhaps what I've received is a clever pasting job of the application form, with a possible replaced header of "credit card account agreement". I guess they're trying everything possible to show people they have got enforceable agreements - 99% of people with probably accept that.

The next step has already been received in the form of a standard "you have missed a payment" letter. It details the charges they've added to the account etc. I think I will respond at this stage, primarily because they appear to have 'rejected' my account in dispute letter, as they believe they have now produced a valid agreement (albeit 2 months after the original SAR letter). Although this time I will write that the document they have provided is not drawn up correctly - or something similar.

Once I've composed a suitable letter, I shall post again, if nothing else, perhaps others might be able to use it.

Just had a further thought - can they get round that by the clause that says the T&C's can be amended from time to time, so therefore it doesn't matter whether the T&C's are attached or not, likewise it doesn't matter that the T&C's they've supplied are not the same - because they've been amended??

:-D

Edited by flooz

Ok, have used a 'possible letter' from the templates, and searched around a little, and have come up with this. Any comments or further suggestions much appreciated before I send. Also, (as long as it's ok), feel free to use if you wish.

Apologies, can only seem to put it up as an attachment. when I copy/paste, all the formatting comes out too and makes it illegible.

blank.doc

Edited by flooz

Hi,

I am granting to you a further 21 days to produce a copy of the full executable agreement. After that I will consider that the above account is closed and that you will no longer pursue the alleged debt. In the absence of an enforceable agreement the alleged account will be viewed as a gift from Capital One

I'd give them seven working days. They've already had sufficient time. Why give them more than they deserve?

Hi,

I'm not sure where the template you require is.

I let the answering machine take the call. They never leave a message. Such a waste of the cost of a phone call. Still, they can afford it.

Thanks usaname - we can't always let the ansamachine take the call, unless we're 100% certain it's them, as our number is also our business line.

I just hope they don't take to phoning us early in the morning - as we're publicans, our hours of work/life are somewhat different to theirs. :-|