Keeping bank errors

tonytash
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4919 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

ANyone have any knowledge or interest in this subject?

Well over a year ago, the bank paid 20k too much into my account, i didnt pay it back and now theyve sent threatening letters, i have a mediator involved who is trying to help me, just wondered what people think?

should i give it back or fight it?

I'm afraid you have to give it back. Legally you have no right to it. Sad but true.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

My impression is that this is viewed as a gift legally and that you are under no obligation to return it.

I would suggest you start by asking them to prove why the feel entitled to the money - because we say so is not a reason.

Play dumb with them - it's my money isnt it? why do you think its yours and see what they come up with

of course legal obligations and moral obligations are different but then again I've yet to find a moral bank

Yes, you will have to return it. Search on posts by me containing the word "estoppel"

• 5 months later...

I had a bank error a few years ago, they paid me 19k too much, i came to an agreement to pay them £7 a month, yet i now have a ccj, is there anything i can do about this, ive got myself into a bit of a mess with it really, anyone got any advice for me?

thank you

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Basically, a few years ago the bank put 20k into my account by mistake. I took it out and spent it, 6 months later they asked for it back, i told them havent got it, i was on the dole and counlt give it them back.

We came to an agreeement for me to pay £7 a week, which i have never payed and they have never contacted me since, will i be able to statue barr it in a few years or not? I have a cc and really want to get rid of it

thanks