idal

barclays bank overdraft

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3663 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I hope someone can help me in 2000 barclays closed my busines account and also my personal account because i had exceeded my overdraft limit i agreed to pay the amount back and they accepted this i owed £3280 and repaid £500 straight away. I was out of work and could not afford to pay any more so i asked for some time to pay they wasted no time in sending me a CCJ this annoyed me so i let it run its course and it was on my credit rating fo 6 years since then i buried my head in the sand and ignored any letters from debt collection agencies until recently when i had a couple from Scotcall i don"t know what to do about this when I received a letter from Barclays telling me my personal account was over the agreed overdraft limit this is the same account they closed 9 years earlier so I phoned them and asked for my statements for the past 9 years they said they only went back three years this bill of £174 must be madr up of charges and its took almost ten years to contact me i don"t know what to do about either of these things and would really appreciate some advice

thanks

idal:cry:

Hi Idal and welcome to CAG.

Firstly, The Limitation Act 1980 says that the bank, or it's agents, cannot pursue any debt that is over 6 years old.

If you haven't paid toward the debt, or acknowledged it in any letters, in the last 6 years, the debt is Staute Barred.

See item 2 here for a letter to send to Scotcall - The Consumer Forums - Debt collectors

Are you saying Barclays have recently contacted you saying the a/c, which you thought was closed, is still open and overdrawn ? Where does the £174 fit into the picture ?

Interestingly, if you suffered any default charges on the personal a/c since 1995, you can still reclaim these but you need the statement data to do this. Do you still have old statements for the personal a/c.

Reclaiming charges on the business a/c is more complicated and not something you should start until you've spent the necessary time reading up on the subject. CAG is working on a strategy for business a/c charges, but this is work-in-progress.

So you can certainly tell Scotcall to back off. And you'll need to review whether you want to reclaim charges on the personal a/c.

Spend time reading around the forums. See here about business a/c charges - Business claims for bank charges - The Consumer Forums :)

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)