Ladyshaid

Incorrect registration number on my car finance agreement!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3630 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

The dealer where I bought my car has put the wrong registration number on my finance agreement (I signed the finance before dealer had received numbers from DVLA).

I have now carried out HPI checks on both my car and the other registration (listed on agreement) and my car comes back clear but the other car comes back with my finance against it!

I did tell the finance company about this when I first received the paperwork and on other occasions but they have not amended it. I have since been told that to do this they would need to get me to sign another agreement.

Should I take legal advice on this...?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Why wouldn't you want to sign a new contract? Are you thinking of just keeping the car?:)

Have you paid the finance? What happens when you want to return the car (say when you've paid more than 1/2 the deal,) or you want to trade it in? You'll have to produce the car with the correct plates!!!:D

I would just do a new contract and maybe ask for a few quid for the inconvenience.

If the car was bought from new, I would be surprised if the VRM was the only detail recorded against your car with the finance company. It is most likely also recorded against the VIN number.

For example, when I wanted to take my cherished plate off my car which was on HP, I rang them up and they said they would send me a form out. When the form arrived it showed my (personal) VRM and the VIN number. The text went on something like:

we have been advised that the VRM and/or VIN number that we hold on file is incorrect. Please enter the corrections on this form and return it to us.

I sent the form back showing the new VRM the DVLA had just given me and there was no need to sign any new agreements as there was never any doubt the "the car" still remained as the same item.