Guarantor - any advice is greatly appreciated!

seigi12
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5257 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I appreaciate anybody who can help my friend who is in the really difficult situation. So here is the detail:My friend used to go out with this guy and somehow she ended up being a guarantor for a company car. (the company was owned by him, I think) But he defaulted the payment nearly 2 years ago and now the debts company is after her for the payment of about £15000! and there is county court judgement against her or something. Apparently she can't remember signing the contract to be the guarantor but lambert?(the debt company) says they have the copy of her driving licence and her signature.She is in utter distress as she can't afford anything like this and can't really afford Barrister either. She really helped me so much in the most desparte time of my life and I want to help her anyway I can. I really appreciate if you can advice us on what course of action we should do and where do we need to go for advice and support.Thank you very much,Seigi12

Hi and welcome.

- Don't be in a panic, you will get to grips with this problem.

Have you seen any agreements or documents relating to the contract or the ccj? Have you done a credit file check? What has the DCA actually said and what has the DCA put in writing? -these are sometimes very different because some of them have a way of dressing up facts.

Hello.

She knows that she can have the CCJ set aside, as this was issued without her knowlegde. This is not the problem. There are some very complex issues around this case. She is seeing a soliciter but has been advised that a barrister is needed. Can anyone suggest one that works with contractual agreements, or has experience in this area?

Thanks

The best place to find about legal aid is her local court. Beware there is a lot of financial pressure not to grant legal aid so you might have to be very persistent.

Additionally it is possible she may not even qualify at all. But you have to ask the question.

As for the CCJ : when was judgment issued? where was it issued [probably Northampton CCBC]? how much was it for? was she aware of the claim at the time it was issued?

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)