• Tweets

• Breaking News Biden wins Kennedy family endorsement Fifteen members of the storied Kennedy political family endorsed U.S. President Joe Biden at a Philadelphia campaign event on Thursday, with some joining him onstage, in a rebuke of Robert F. Kennedy Jr's independent bid for the White House. and 30 members in the extended Kennedy family   nytimes.com WWW.NYTIMES.COM Kennedys endorse Biden over their relative RFK Jr WWW.BBC.CO.UK Robert F Kennedy Jr is running for president as an independent - but many family members oppose him. More than a dozen Kennedy family members endorse Biden, snub RFK Jr. | CBC News WWW.CBC.CA President Joe Biden accepted endorsements from at least 15 members of the Kennedy political family during a campaign stop...  
    • Speaking of Frost and Johnson the corrupt liars' grate deal they forced through   Shortages of life saving medicines has become ‘new normal’ for UK after Brexit WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘The medicines supply chain is broken at every level,’ warns Dr Leyla Hannbeck   "Professor Tamara Hervey, of the City Law School, said: “There is nothing inevitable about this ‘new normal’ where Great Britain is isolated in efforts to manage fragilities in global supply of the products and people we need to run the NHS. It is the consequence of policy choices and those could be different.”     Mind you, the private sector is making hays while the NHS is burned. Private health insurance market grows by £385m in a year amid NHS crisis | Private healthcare | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Demand for private treatment booms as NHS waiting lists remain long, while more people also sign up for dental cover  
    • That's an idea on Maquarie. On being accountable, you also have to blame Ofwat and possibly the Environment Agency although they've been badly defunded. I put the Frost article up for balance.  
    • I agree HB, but there were no laws broken - its perfectly legal to fleece the UK and its infrastructure - and labour were little better than the Tories Perhaps an option would be to ban the aussie investment fund from the UKs markets
    • surprised you gave that frost article the light of day HB Long been the case that no further evidence of his wing-nutishness needed. Heck he even railed against the rubbish grate deal he largely created
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Mills1vEgg

mills1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4779 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone advise please?

When Egg hiked up the interest rate on my Egg card the other month, I received a secure message informing me they were doing it, despite no late payments etc; I contacted them to tell them that I wanted to stay on the current rate and not use the card again, basically pay off what I owe them at the old rate.

They eventually agreed to that.

I have heard that if you miss a payment they can impose the new rate and demand the full payment, is this true?

Am I still entitled to ask for the cca on this account with no retaliation from Egg? ie; hiking the rate up to the new rate and demanding full payment of the debt?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mills1,

Creditors generally try it on to get as much as they can. If you show you know the ropes they will generally decide it is more cost-effective to go and bamboozle the less knowledgeable.

If you miss even one monthly payment they can threaten to issue Default Notice, and if you ignore the warning these days they will more than likely issue to DN. Many CAGgers report they never received DN through the post, never knew it was issued, so never had the chance to remedy the situation. It would be Egg's word against the cardholder, and Egg are not obliged to use registered post.

So long as you do not miss a payment and suffer a DN, Egg cannot demand immediate full payment, end of.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7778218.stm

Credit card companies have agreed to offer some breathing space to consumers struggling with repayments.

The companies have also agreed not to raise interest rates if a customer:

• Fails to make the minimum repayment for more than two months
  • Already has a repayment plan in place
  • Is in "serious discussion" with a debt advice group.

The plan, which comes into effect on 1 January (2009), also includes a pledge from the providers of credit cards and store cards not to increase interest rates in the first 12 months, and no more frequently than every six months thereafter. If it does decide to raise the APR, customers will be given 30 days notice of the change. There is no mention in the principles, however, that instructs credit card companies to pass on any cuts in the Bank of England's Bank rate to credit card borrowers. So borrowers could still face interest rate increases, but will be given more notice of them.

'Real hardship'

.... Consumer Minister Gareth Thomas. Previously, he has pointed to the example of one case when a borrower's APR was doubled while they were in debt. The card providers had already agreed to a 60-day breathing space for borrowers in difficulty.

The government says anyone who believes a previous rate rise was unfair should take their case to the Financial Services Ombudsman Service which can order compensation to be paid if the increase was unjustified.

"There is much good news here," said Malcolm Hurlston, chairman of the Consumer Credit Counselling Service. "By agreeing not to raise interest rates for people struggling to make repayments, credit card companies have taken a significant step and will help ensure bad personal situations are not made worse.

"However more still needs be done. It is essential that all credit card companies follow the example of the best and freeze charges, fines and interest on the debts of clients who are on a debt management plan."

There are 31 million credit cardholders in the UK, borrowing billions of pounds. About half pay off their debts at the end of every month, making interest charges irrelevant, according to the UK payments association Apacs. But the economic downturn is expected to push more people into difficulty making repayments, and into a spiral of debt.

Hi Mills,

Requesting a copy of your CCA gives them no right to do anything other than comply with your request(providing you send them a £1 postal order)

When did you sign your agreement?

It looks around mid 2005 that I got the card, I have just done a search on my statements.

So if I CCA them, they cannot do anything other than provide me the CCA if they have it?

Cheers.

Mills1,

Creditors generally try it on to get as much as they can. If you show you know the ropes they will generally decide it is more cost-effective to go and bamboozle the less knowledgeable.

If you miss even one monthly payment they can threaten to issue Default Notice, and if you ignore the warning these days they will more than likely issue to DN. Many CAGgers report they never received DN through the post, never knew it was issued, so never had the chance to remedy the situation. It would be Egg's word against the cardholder, and Egg are not obliged to use registered post.

So long as you do not miss a payment and suffer a DN, Egg cannot demand immediate full payment, end of.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7778218.stm

Thanks Mistermind.

So, is it the case that I still have to make the payments during the CCA request / dispute period?

Cheers.

Thanks Mistermind.

So, is it the case that I still have to make the payments during the CCA request / dispute period?

Cheers.

In the Mercantile Court ruling in October, McGuffick-v-RBS (verdict apparently under appeal) the judge said that debt collection activities may continue even though an agreement has not been ruled by a judge in court as legally enforceable with CCJ, charging order, etc. What the judge said was that the debt existed independent of legal enforcement, i.e. in situations where he has not granted legal enforcement (however situations where he rules an agreement is irredeemably unenforceable for all time may have extra-court debt collection activities ruled differently, pending clarification via further Test Case rulings) he will not stop extra-court persuasion activities including DN, CRA blackmarking, pnone calls etc (NB. the McGuffick verdict is under appeal). In the McGuffey case the cardholder claimed for DN rollback because of noncompliance by RBS over supplyinging CCA within 12 days. The judge dismissed the claim and refused to roll back the DN.

This verdict did not help to clarify general principles because in this particular case RBS managed to find and produce the agreement at the court hearing when the judge deemed it enforceable after all. The judge did not rap RBS knuckles for not producing same before the 12-day deadline. The significance of this case centred on the judge's Obiter Dicta, his thinking aloud explaining how he arrived at his conclusions. Although such thinking aloud is not part of the ruling it is recorded in the judgment and often influences lower courts even though not binding on them.

Drawing a line against OTT harassment is the separate executive not judiciary remit of the OFT who annually license DCAs subject to good behaviour. If the judiciary will not prohibit debt collection it is hard to see the OFT prohibiting it beyond tempering their zeal.

There are grey areas, and legal matters are as always subject to endless hairsplitting debate. Anyone wanting to add to this debate will have a whale of a time in the 23-page McGuffick thread in the LEGAL-ISSUES forum.

In the mean time unilaterally suspending monthly payments will leave yourself open to almost certain DN issuance then if ignored, the demand for 100% immediate repayment. Whether Egg will take this demand to court, whether you can use a court case to erase 6-year blackmarks is another subject for endless debate until a judge says YES or NO. More Test Case will produce more verdicts and precedents.

It is your choice bearing in mind it is your good self and not brave commentators who may one day stand in front of a judge trying to repair your own credit reputation.

Good luck :) .

Edited by Mistermind

Thanks Mistermind for your further input, appreciated.

So, let me clarify, until such time that Egg, or any of the creditors, fail to comply with the request for the CCA Agreement I continue paying?

If they produce anything that is supposed to be the true copy of the original CCA I post it on here for scrutiny?

If after that scrutiny it is felt they are unenforceable I notify Egg and other creditors who provide such unenforceable agreements?

After those steps, having found the agreements unenforceable, can I stop paying?

Still waiting for the Ink for my printer, so just trying to get my head around all this is the meantime.

Thanks.

Mills,

Yes request the CCA but continue making payments. When the CCA arrives you need to post it on here to ascertain whether it is enforceable or not. IF the CCA is not then you can place the account in dispute.

Like I say request the CCA and then ask for further advice once you have received it

Thanks Exasperated. all the advice from everyone is very much appreciated, just want to get a common train of thought.

Dont want to give the companies any excuse to say I have not played things right.

Thanks Mistermind for your further input, appreciated.

So, let me clarify, until such time that Egg, or any of the creditors, fail to comply with the request for the CCA Agreement I continue paying?

Until a judge bangs the gavel and booms "next case" uncertainty rules. The judge has the last word, not the plaintiff or the defendant.

It is one thing if Egg's actions go contrary to the thoughts of posters here, it is another to try overturn a DN physically issued by Egg. Two instances of rolling back unjustified Egg DNs took 18 months and 30 months. It is up to you, but Egg are known nowadays to issue DNs like confetti, given an excuse.

More clarity will come soon from more test case verdicts. It all takes time and makes barristers rich. That's the way it works.

Sending this to Egg asking for CCA.

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:− Account/Reference Number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77 will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

The above ok?

Any thoughts on the signature?

Actually sign or print?

I photocopy postal order back and front?

Write on back " To be used for CCA purposes only "

Anything else?

Cheers.

Sending this to Egg asking for CCA.

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:− Account/Reference Number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77 will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

The above ok?

Any thoughts on the signature?

Actually sign or print?

I photocopy postal order back and front?

Write on back " To be used for CCA purposes only "

Anything else?

Cheers.

Re the signature I personally just sign and put a cross through it.

The postal order I just keep a copy of the number which you can check online if its been cashed.

Re the signature I personally just sign and put a cross through it.

The postal order I just keep a copy of the number which you can check online if its been cashed.

Thanks Exasperated, does it matter that the PO is not crossed?

Can you provide the online link to check if it has been cashed?

Thanks.

Mills,

Make sure you send everything registered post. You can check if the letter has been received on the post office website, re the postal order I can't find the link but if you cant locate it on the PO website if you take the number/stubb into any post office they will tell you if its been cashed.

• 3 weeks later...
Are they readable?

Cheers.

:D Sure, under a microscope.

Claimants are being rapidly overtaken by events. With a spate of Test Case verdicts coming from Manchester Mercantile Court over the next few weeks, it is the judges' opinion which matters.

Happy New Year to you ;)