Sign in to follow this  
ukaviator

Stop meddling with London, bankers' leader tells Sarkozy

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3632 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Angela Knight, the chief executive of the British Bankers' Association, launched a scathing attack on Nicolas Sarkozy yesterday, accusing the French President of "undermining" the European Union. Her comments come as EU finance ministers moved unexpectedly quickly to agree a new range of measures for regulating financial institutions. Responding to Mr Sarkozy, who on Monday said that the appointment of the Frenchman Michel Barnier as the EU's new internal markets commissioner would rein in the "free-wheeling Anglo-Saxon model" of banking, Ms Knight said: "President Sarkozy must surely recognise that he has undermined the EU with his statements and put a question mark over the impartiality of his nominated commissioner that will not be easily dispelled."

Speaking at a gathering of the Worshipful Company of International Bankers, a City guild, Ms Knight stressed London's importance as a financial centre, arguing that the entire EU benefited from London's position. "If anyone in the European project thinks for a minute that they are capable of subverting the years of effort it took us to make the UK the world's financial centre, they are sadly mistaken. At stake here are at least half a million jobs and the tax revenues which will contribute more than anything else to replenishing the Exchequer after this recession," she said. "It also needs to be more widely recognised that the City brings benefits to all of the EU, not just the UK. The EU is the centre of much of the world's commerce, and it is important that it remains so."

Mr Sarkozy caused outrage in the City and in Westminster on Tuesday when he said that a European banking model had "nothing to do with the excesses of financial capitalism". Mr Barnier later tried to defuse the row in an interview with French radio: "I know the importance of the City. I know the importance of this major financial centre for growth in Britain and for all of Europe's economy," he said. "I have to work in Europe's interest to draw lessons from the crisis, including in the City's interest to support this financial centre, as well as others including Frankfurt and Paris."

More:

Stop meddling with London, bankers' leader tells Sarkozy - Business News, Business - The Independent

Some useful links.

FAQ's

Making Posts

Letter Template Library

Bank Contact Details

AQ Guide to Completion

Court Fees

Data Protection non Compliance

Witness Statements for Court Bundle

Banking Code Website

Limitations Act

Fast Track Costs

A-Z Index

Mis-Claim Tutorial

Step By Step Instructions

Remember: The Ark was built by amateurs-The Titanic by professionals.

Please click my scales if you find my advice helpful !

If your claim is successful, please donate 5% so that it can continue to help others.

Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

YOU CAN NOW COMPLAIN TO THE OFT ABOUT THEIR CONDUCT UNDER THE CONSUMER PROTECTION FROM UNFAIR TRADING REGULATIONS 2008.

Funny how it's undermining the EU when it suits them and undermining the UK otherwise. I know it's a bit much to expect Dear Angela to be coherent, but come ON.

PS: Dear Angela, Nicholas has about as much influence on the banking model as I do, so can you please stop throwing hissy fits like these? Or are you just paving the way to blame someone else when it all goes t*ts up for the City as the bonuses get reined in? I wonder... :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this