Debtwoman

UK debt in Canada: is a UK court order enforceable in Canada?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3625 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there! I wonder if anybody can give some decent advice?

Took an unsecured loan out with Northern Rock 4 years ago. Had been paying an agreed monthly sum until March 2009 (went to Canada with a new job in December and got made redundant in March). Informed NR right away offering (3 times )to make smaller monthly repayments until my situation improves. NR ignored my offers and now Pennine is dealing with me. What is the worst case scenario? Does a British Court have any legal power in a civil matter in Canada?

Edited by Debtwoman

A UK court cannot issue a CCJ against a non UK resident & a debt cannot be enforced abroad without a CCJ. Although certain countries do have reciprocal agreements in the majority of cases the cost is too prohibitive for the claimant to pursue unless the debt is extremely large.

Edited by cerberusalert
  • Haha 1

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

The Foreign Judgments (Reciprocal Enforcement) Act 1933 could allow a UK judgment to be enforced in Canada, specifically: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, North West Territories, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan and the Yukon Territory.

Although they have the powers to enforce a judgemtn in Canada the odds of them not doing so are likely to be stacked well in your favour due to the cost, as already mentioned by my learned friend above!

You might consider contacting a Candian Collection company. Unfortunately, they will take half of potential proceeds. But that is better than nothing. They can also tell you where the person lives, and whether they have good credit.

Why on earth would the OP want to get in touch with a Canadian DCA? :rolleyes:

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT