Can I cancel membership

MickKane
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i signed up to a 2 year contract, the gym is always so busy you can never use anything, there are wholes in the floor under the carpet where the weights are dropped which i consider to be dangerous and my wife hurt herself on a treadmill when it stopped suddenly, There are never any staff around to report this.

here is my terms and conditions that we signed upto

https://www.snapdda.co.uk/Clients/_MasterDocs/MasterTermsAndConditions_0709.pdf

thanks for any help

mick

Edited by MickKane

Sorry mick, your links don't seem to work.

There may be little chance of your getting out of the contract but you start by making your complaints in writing to the manager with a copy to the head office. Continual complaints may give you the excuse to terminate the contract but you may find you have to defend that position in court so suggest you also back up th evidence with photos etc taken now - make sure they have a digital date stamp on them.

Generally gym membership is for a specified initial period & then ongoing on an annual basis but you must be sure not to miss the deadline of giving the required notice before the annual/biennial anniversry or you will be liable for a further 12 months. I suggest when you do give notice, you do so to the head office in writing & by recorded delivery. Gyms seem to be notorious for 'mislaying' instructions like this & then charge you the extra 12 months membership fee so you need proof. ;)

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Looks as though you cancel your membership after the contracted number of payments just by stopping your DD but in the meantime you're lumbered unless you can prove the facilities are not what you signed up for i.e. the gym has broken their contract but I don't see any promise here that they will actually provide anything so I guess, theroetically, they could demand payment of you to attend an empty hall.

IMO it's contracts lke these that are one of the primary reasons for the fall off in gym memberships in the UK. And you know, a walk, run or bike ride in the fresh air is SO much more pleasant & healthier!!

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

These terms are bull. They are not terms they are a manifesto of what you must do. Terms of a contract do not override English Law. I suggest you have a good read of CPUTR 2008. Then write to the Gym Owner/ Manager. Tell them what is wrong and that you will take the matter up with OFT and HSE if the dangerous conditions are nor remedied immediately. Tell them that unless they remedy the situation then you will be terminating your membership because they are in clear breach of the supply of goods and services act.

-chances are they will 'throw you out' to get rid of you, which in the end is what you want.

I call it the 'sledgehammer to crack a walnut technique'. It works more often than not - noone want to deal with a pain inthe bum if they dont have to:D