puressence73

TV repaired 3 times, failed again outside of warranty!!!!!!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3630 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi Guys,

I have a 42" Matsui which I bought from PC World on the 15th November last year 2008.

Within the 12 month warranty period the TV had to be repaired twice for an intermittent fault where the screen would go blank, but the audio would continue to be heard as normal.

In the first instance the TV was repaired and returned, and I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

Within a month it failed again. I explained my concerns to PC world the 2nd time the TV was scheduled for repair as it was approaching the end of the warranty period, and likely to fail again, in my opinion. They advised me that under the circumstances they could only offer a repair even though I requested an exchange.

Whilst the TV was at the workshop it went out of warranty. Within 24hrs of having the TV back from the workshop it failed again for a 3rd time.

I have called PC world to complain, a pointless exercise, and have been advised that I have 2 options 1) they will collect it to repair the fault again or 2) I could get an independent report done to say the item is faulty due to a manufacturing flaw, at my expense.

In either case they will not replace or refund me for the item. Can someone tell me whether I have a case to fight here or if I just have to lump it!!!!!!

Many Thanks

Matt

Edited by puressence73

Is the fault the same as the one you reported in the last repair?

If so it's still covered under warantee as you reported the fault during the warantee period.

I will reply properly tomorrow after work.

But as a quick one, Warranty periods are worthless and its much better to assume they do not exist. They are an addition to your rights and can have any terms they want.

You have covered under the sales of goods act 1979 (as amended), which requires goods to be of a satisfactory quality. When a repair is required on the goods this many times within such a short space of time they are not of this quality. Write a letter quoting ss 14 of the act, and ss 48a-f of the act, and request a replacement as they product has not been repaired within a reasonable amount of time (it was returned with the fault still intact after a repair), having a further repair will cause significant inconvenience and therfore a replacement is required under ss 48d of the SGA.

Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended up to date to 1/10/2003

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

I will reply properly tomorrow after work.

But as a quick one, Warranty periods are worthless and its much better to assume they do not exist. They are an addition to your rights and can have any terms they want.

You have covered under the sales of goods act 1979 (as amended), which requires goods to be of a satisfactory quality. When a repair is required on the goods this many times within such a short space of time they are not of this quality. Write a letter quoting ss 14 of the act, and ss 48a-f of the act, and request a replacement as they product has not been repaired within a reasonable amount of time (it was returned with the fault still intact after a repair), having a further repair will cause significant inconvenience and therfore a replacement is required under ss 48d of the SGA.

Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended up to date to 1/10/2003

Warantee periods are worthless? Ok, so you'd prefer it that every time anyone wanted to return an item, they'd have to pay for an engineers report, and deal with the head-office of a company via recorded mail. It's a slower and more time consuming process that should be left until a company is trying to wash their hands of a situation.

Sorry if I sound harsh here, but the last couple of topics I've posted help in, someone has jumped the gun and climbed on the SOGA bandwagon before even considering any other more suitable courses of action. I can understand sticking up for consumer rights, and sticking it to these companies. But please, shouting SOGA to everyone who posts up here for help as some kind of "one-size-fits-all" solution before even considering any less strenuous options for the OP, is kind of lazy.

I do respond on a case by case basis, the OP has been offered a repair, which I assume is under warranty however was after a refund or replacement.

In regards to my opinion on warranties (and extended warranties for that matter), they are not required by law and can have whatever terms they so wish. I do agree when its less then a year old it is a lot easier to go via this route, however from experience most people that post on here would have usually explored that route or be after another solution.

I don't like them because they cloud what rights consumers actually have, companies like to hide behind it and try to pretend that the SGA and other laws do not exist. You shouldn't have to fight and go to head office, companies should train there staff correctly and accept the law. I do try to avoid any engineers reports when posting advise, I don't see why consumers should have to pay for them, however this is what is required by the law and a last solution if all else fails.

If you wish to continue with the pointless rambles on SGA advise and warranties you are more then welcome to open a thread on it or PM me. However my advise above still stands for the OP

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Thanks Blitz, Renzokuken

From my point of view the TV should have been replaced when it failed for the same fault a second time within the 12 months. If the repair had been done quicker it would have been 3 times, for the same fault in 12 months. To some degree dosent this make the warranty worthless?

PC World have made it clear that the only options available to me are to have an independent Engineer diagnose the fault at my expense, and then they will talk to me about a replacement, or to have the fault repaired for a third time.

I think it's clear that the unit was obviously sub-standard, and should have been replaced whilst in the warranty period, I feel annoyed I didnt argue the point more.

I can see both of your arguments for getting this sorted out, but to be honest I do prefer the idea of going down the sale of goods act if I have a case, and would be like to know more about this if possible Blitz.

They dont appear to want to sort this amicably so why should I!!!!!

Regards

Matt

Thanks Blitz, Renzokuken

From my point of view the TV should have been replaced when it failed for the same fault a second time within the 12 months. If the repair had been done quicker it would have been 3 times, for the same fault in 12 months. To some degree dosent this make the warranty worthless?

PC World have made it clear that the only options available to me are to have an independent Engineer diagnose the fault at my expense, and then they will talk to me about a replacement, or to have the fault repaired for a third time.

I think it's clear that the unit was obviously sub-standard, and should have been replaced whilst in the warranty period, I feel annoyed I didnt argue the point more.

I can see both of your arguments for getting this sorted out, but to be honest I do prefer the idea of going down the sale of goods act if I have a case, and would be like to know more about this if possible Blitz.

They dont appear to want to sort this amicably so why should I!!!!!

Regards

Matt

I see, now had you said that in the first place, I wouldn't have assumed you were yet to confirm with PCWorld that this new issue is related to their previous repairs, and would have just recommended SOGA to begin with as it seems PCWorld do want to play hard-ball. I don't think recommending SOGA to people is a bad thing, I just believe that as with any legalities you stand on much better footing using it as a last resort, should it have to go to court, you can safely say you were reasonable and tried all other options with a company before having to waste their time.

Anyway, if you browse around the forums or do a quick search for a SOGA template letter. Get a report (not a repair) from an independant engineer stating the fault is inherent with the TV or related to previous repairs, this should cost you around £30 - 50. And bundle the two off via recorded delivery to their head-office in hemel, or customer services in sheffield, you should hear back from them arranging to collect the TV for repair.

Unfortunately PC World can demand an engineers report, however I will try and draft you up a letter by the end of the night. (To hopefully avoid all that)

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for your help.

I have just taken a call by a PC World case worker and they have agreed to replace the TV with a new LG model as they no longer sell the Matsui.

(this is the complete oposite to what I was told last night, and I am not sure what prompted the call back!!!!!!)

Anyway Woo Hoo.....

I really thought that I had to lump it and leave it.

I have even received a text telling me when they are collecting and replacing the TV.

Many thanks for your time, and especially the offer of a letter Blitz.

Regards

Matt

Maybe they have eyes on the forum :o Glad you got your replacement :)

Same thoughts here Blitz.

The response this evening was a complete contrast to what was said yesterday and it did make me wonder.....!!!!!

I am just glad it's sorted out. :-D

Regards

Matt