PCN I recieved, have I got a chance of appealing?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys want some advice. Basically I was parked up on a road where you have to phone a number and pay over the phone to specify how long you wanna stay. The controlled zone runs until 6.30pm and there after its free. I even confirmed this with the woman I spoke to when I was putting through the payment.

I went back to my car later in the evening and found a ticket on my car, and it was for my car being parked during loading only hours. Which apparently runs from 7pm-7am. Where I was parked its enforced only on that small section of the parking bays. Now I was pointed out by someone there is one sign which states the 7pm-7am rule but its facing towards the road. There isn't a sign facing towards the pavement side with that information. There is a sign for the telephone number and location zone on both sides of the pole and telling you the time restrictions.

Now when I parked up and looked at the sign, for obvious reasons I was on the pavement rather than going on the street to look up at the sign for the telephone number so I could pay for my parking till 6.30pm. So my question is can I challenge this ticket as I wasn't aware of this restriction at the time, I was told by the parking operator it is free after 6.30pm. And there wasn't a sign or for that matter information about loading restriction enforced from 7pm facing towards the pavement side?

Thanks.

Edited by djsyxx

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dosen't look good - the sign MUST be visible to drivers, NOT pedestrians. As G&M suggest, post up the pix if you can. It may be worthwhile making an informal appeal, quoting your parking receipt reference in mitigation.

A word of caution never listen to anything 'pay by phone ' operators say as regards parking restrictions all they do is process payments. They are probably in a town miles away and have never even seen the street. All they usually know is the charged hours and cost for the location you quote.

Hey guys want some advice. Basically I was parked up on a road where you have to phone a number and pay over the phone to specify how long you wanna stay. The controlled zone runs until 6.30pm and there after its free. I even confirmed this with the woman I spoke to when I was putting through the payment.

Woaaa.....stop there. Is this a PCN or a Invoice from a PPC ?

Who issued this "ticket" ?

Any pictures of the signs ?

Blagton

Hi there guys I got pictures of the sign, when I parked up on the monday I was basically looking at the sign with the number and the location number on the pavement side as shown:

DSC06010.jpg

The sign displaying loading only is facing to the road. This is the sign:

DSC06008.jpg

I wasn't looking on that side as I was on the pavement phoning the number and putting through the payment thinking everything would be ok. It also seems that its enforced only on that side of the road, rest of the road doesn't have this.

It does say on there charging hours 8.30am-6.30pm all other times no charge so I don't know if I could use that as a valid arguement as well as only one loading only sign.

If I challenge it do I have a chance or if I'm just clutching at straws here?

BTW it is a PCN from the Westminster.

The large sign is not prescribed by the regulations. I would request that the council prove that they have been given DfT authorisation to use this sign. It they fail to provide a copy of the DfT authorisation and accompanying technical drawings then it is likely they have not got it and the signage is unlawful and cannot be enforced.

The large sign is not prescribed by the regulations. I would request that the council prove that they have been given DfT authorisation to use this sign. It they fail to provide a copy of the DfT authorisation and accompanying technical drawings then it is likely they have not got it and the signage is unlawful and cannot be enforced.

When you say the large sign are you reffering to the Loading only sign? And how would I find out this information whether the signage is unlawful?

When you say the large sign are you reffering to the Loading only sign? And how would I find out this information whether the signage is unlawful?

Apologies djsyxx, just re-read your initial post and realised the PCN is for the loading restriction and not for failing to pay. The Loading Only sign is lawful.

Better photos of the location and bay markings may help us assist you as we need to see where the sign is in comparison to where you parked.

If the location on googlemaps has the identical signage then that will do if you post up a link.

Yeah went on google maps but its out of date but to give you an idea where the red car is on the left hand side of the road (Tesco's) is where I parked from my pictures you can see in relation where the sign would be and the loading only sign is on that side the rest of the road is fine.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=nw8+circus+road&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.25,26.411133&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Circus+Rd,+London+NW8,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.533719,-0.172049&spn=0.010999,0.025792&z=15&layer=c&cbll=51.533675,-0.172145&panoid=4Ks8mmyYHXMxFGjkliXZmA&cbp=12,49.07,,0,12.79

Woaaa.....stop there. Is this a PCN or a Invoice from a PPC ?

Who issued this "ticket" ?

Any pictures of the signs ?

Blagton

PPC policing on a road?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I would appeal this on the basis tyhat the contravention did not occur because of inadequate signage.

What there is is a conflict between the loading only sign and the parking sign with the sole restriction of a max of 4 hours and no return within 1 hours and no restriction as to applicability of that parking permission.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

a) Was the bay marked 'loading only?

b) Did the PCN contain any observation time?

I'm a bit confused is the loading bay the same bay but doesn't start until 7pm or are there different bays? The pay by phone sign is non compliant and as far as I can see would never be approved as it has NO TIME on it meaning its pay by phone 24/7. Actual photos of the bay are needed signs on their own are useless.

Edited by green_and_mean

Pure conjecture on my part but I reckon this is a bay that the council wants to have as loading only overnight (7pm - 7am) but which is for parking at all other times with payment by phone from 8:30am to 6:30pm. But this is not what the signs say.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Pure conjecture on my part but I reckon this is a bay that the council wants to have as loading only overnight (7pm - 7am) but which is for parking at all other times with payment by phone from 8:30am to 6:30pm. But this is not what the signs say.

Seems odd then that the parking is not 7am to 7pm then?? I am not convinced this dual use is permitted the only way they could have done it was to install a SYL 7pm to 7am which would have allowed loading. If the bay is dual use both restrictions on use should be on the same sign.

a) Was the bay marked 'loading only?

b) Did the PCN contain any observation time?

I'm a bit confused is the loading bay the same bay but doesn't start until 7pm or are there different bays? The pay by phone sign is non compliant and as far as I can see would never be approved as it has NO TIME on it meaning its pay by phone 24/7. Actual photos of the bay are needed signs on their own are useless.

Not different bays, the bays are normal parking bays, the only information about loading only is the sign above which I have shown.

Here is pictures of the road, I was parked where the silver golf is parked:

04122009125.jpg

04122009126.jpg

04122009127.jpg

Now that is all nice and clear you have a 100% case against them.

Where you parked there are no signs. So, you walk along the footpath to the sign and comply with the instructions and are told over the phone parking is free after 6:30pm.

It is not reasonable to demand a pedestrian walks out into a live carriageway just to read a sign. The loading sign should be vixible from the footpath as well.

Afraid it IS reasonable Jimmy. The sign MUST face the roadway, as the converse is true, if the sign only faced the pavement, it could not be held to apply to the road. Since the vehicle was ON the road, there's no issue of 'walking on a carriageway'.

Yes there is Buzby. The sign was nowhere near the car. Not the OP's fault. The council could have erected more signs but chose not to. In order to read the sign the OP would have to stop, block the carriageway with his car while he reads the sign and then hope there was still a space left to park in.

What about someone in a wheelchair? Blue badge parking is very restricted in this part of London. Would it be reasonable for them to have to wheel themselves out into traffic to read the sign?

Nope. I think you have perfect grounds to appeal this.

I'm not talking about a perfect world, just one that is 'reasonable'. Therefore to be the latter the sign must be evident to the passage of those who may have the temerity to actually want to park there. Consideration for pedestrians is NOT a consideration at any time. By all mean, an appeal is worth a shot id you are past the discount period and nothing else to lose, but since the converse of your argument won't stand up - any appeal success would fly in the face of convention.