Another complaint about carcraft & a warranty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4309 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Basically, in the case of Carcraft, just don't buy from there.

If you insist then just be aware that you are getting little more protection than if you were to buy privately from some guy in the newspaper who you don't even know.

The car you can buy privately for £4k will be available from Carcraft for £6k so by buying from the private seller, you have £2k in your pocket for any repairs that you might need to have done in the first three months.

If you get by for three months without the need to make a repair to the private sale car then you are ahead of the game because if the car you buy from Carcraft needs any repairs after three months then they will not want to know and you will be liable anyway.

Don't fall for their "Two Year Guarantee", it is not worth the paper it is written on.

Even in the rare event that the repairs your car needs to have are covered by the guarantee, they only cover the first £300.

Just be aware that Carcraft are not in the business of selling quality cars, they are in the business of selling finance which is far more lucrative for them.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi everyone just been informed from carcraft head office that everyone who buys a car from them have a 12 month cover with rac i thought i would let you all know

Yes, I got the RAC cover 'thrown in' but when my car broke down at Alton Towers, they couldn't help as they only recover/take to garage within 10 miles! I was further than that from Stoke or Derby so had to rely on my AA cover to help!:mad:

Here we go again. I have placed my Freelander in Lakeside once again, on the 14th September, for the same reason as before. The engine still shudders on tick over and the brake pads are still scraping. This is now the third time I have put my car in for the same repair.

This all goes back to 9th of May when I had to have a new cylinderhead gasket replaced. This story is here: Second Visit. I have now given carcraft a final two weeks to fix this problem once and for all. I am due to collect my car on 25th or 26th September, hopefully, fixed.

Wish me luck folks

Well... I collected my car on 26th Septemeber. Guess what? The Engine has started shuddering again after two weeks and the brkaepads are still scraping.

I have spoken to them today stating that I am going to take it elsewhere to get a diagnostic test and pass it onto them.

They say I can not do that at all, did not say why, but I think I will loose everything that goes with the vehicle, so I am stuck good and proper with a useless car that will not run proper.

And I still can not find a legal firm with the bottle to take on car craft.

In the end, what we regret most, are the chances we never Took

Well... I collected my car on 26th Septemeber. Guess what? The Engine has started shuddering again after two weeks and the brkaepads are still scraping.

I have spoken to them today stating that I am going to take it elsewhere to get a diagnostic test and pass it onto them.

They say I can not do that at all, did not say why, but I think I will loose everything that goes with the vehicle, so I am stuck good and proper with a useless car that will not run proper.

Local Trading Standards Office :confused:

i see we have car craft customer service with us today

are we going to answer my warranty questions today or as usual

SILANCE IS GOLDEN

ILL REMIND YOU

HOW MUCH DO YOU CHARGE FOR A BASIC WARRANTY FOR 36 MONTHS AS AN EXAMPLE

AND HOW MUCH IS THE MAX PAY OUT ON THIS POLICY

ANSWERS ON A POST CARD

Here we go again. I have placed my Freelander in Lakeside once again, on the 14th September, for the same reason as before. The engine still shudders on tick over and the brake pads are still scraping. This is now the third time I have put my car in for the same repair.

This all goes back to 9th of May when I had to have a new cylinderhead gasket replaced. This story is here: Second Visit. I have now given carcraft a final two weeks to fix this problem once and for all. I am due to collect my car on 25th or 26th September, hopefully, fixed.

Wish me luck folks

When I had my Starter Motor trouble with the car I bought from Carcraft, I was told by the man there that "by law" they had to be given three opportunities to fix the problem before I could start talking refunds etc.

After phoning Carcraft earlier today, customer services, they said they will contact servicing to get my car looked at by an independant mechanic.

Lakeside has just phoned me, sorry not authorised to make that decision, so my car goes back to lakeside for however long for them to hold it back for a while and then say it's fixed until the engine starts shuddering again, and then back to square one, Lakeside again.

When are these people goin' to admit that they can not fix it?

Yeah Anthem, they have had their three chances, but they still keep telling me to bring it in.

I am at the end of my tether and have nowhere else to turn it seems, no one will help me without at least £300 in legal fees.

Rough Trader, I just think one way or another, you have to get the car seen by an independent garage. Carcraft have had more than enough opportunity to fix the problem and, as you say, you are now in a life-sapping circle with them.

I would be getting onto Trading Standards, Citizens Advice, anyone who could tell me my rights on this one.

It seems to me that Carcraft are unable to fix the problem, you have given them every opportunity and now it is time to get a proper garage to take a look but whatever is needed should be funded by Carcraft, I cannot believe that they can have any kind of defence in this situation.

But I am no expert and I have just had my own backside well and truly slapped by Carcraft myself but in the end decided to bite the bullet, just get the car fixed and pay the necessary. Not exactly the fighting spirit that is needed against the cowboys of this world but it's fixed now, learn from the mistake and move on.

And if I can get a few digs in against them on forums such as this from time to time and put a few people off from giving them their hard earned cash then I will.

Rough Trader, I just think one way or another, you have to get the car seen by an independent garage. Carcraft have had more than enough opportunity to fix the problem and, as you say, you are now in a life-sapping circle with them.

I would be getting onto Trading Standards, Citizens Advice, anyone who could tell me my rights on this one.

It seems to me that Carcraft are unable to fix the problem, you have given them every opportunity and now it is time to get a proper garage to take a look but whatever is needed should be funded by Carcraft, I cannot believe that they can have any kind of defence in this situation.

But I am no expert and I have just had my own backside well and truly slapped by Carcraft myself but in the end decided to bite the bullet, just get the car fixed and pay the necessary. Not exactly the fighting spirit that is needed against the cowboys of this world but it's fixed now, learn from the mistake and move on.

And if I can get a few digs in against them on forums such as this from time to time and put a few people off from giving them their hard earned cash then I will.

I have threatened them with going to another garage, but they say I will loose everything: the free service, all that goes with NAC,

So I am well and truly stuck, with nowhere to turn.

Doin' me flamin' 'ead in

Case law has shown that 3 times is enough attempts to give them and although the amount of time to reject is called 'reasonable' courts have allowed rejection over a year later when a fix hasn't been successful.

Send them a recorded letter 'telling' them that they have had enough attempts and that you are taking it to the dealer to be fixed and they will be presented with the bill.

Because no one else has taken them on it doesn't mean you can't, a small claim is around £35 so nothing to lose.

Case law has shown that 3 times is enough attempts to give them and although the amount of time to reject is called 'reasonable' courts have allowed rejection over a year later when a fix hasn't been successful.

Send them a recorded letter 'telling' them that they have had enough attempts and that you are taking it to the dealer to be fixed and they will be presented with the bill.

Because no one else has taken them on it doesn't mean you can't, a small claim is around £35 so nothing to lose.

Agreed :cool: Do it in a calm, quiet and authoratitive way :cool:

• 10 months later...

I am currently in battle with CC Merseyside in Knowlsley. I am looking for people who are willing to peacefully protest outside a CarCraft location. I will be picketing outside CC Merseyside and welcome anyone to join me.

my email address is [email protected]

if you have any problems with CC just think about how much this action could cost them on a Saturday.

be aware that you have the right to protest on public property as long as it is done peacefully.

You could also cost them a fortune by regularly about once an hour clicking on their paid for Google adverts, they cost about £10 each time.

• 1 month later...

Ive not read all through the thread but I am having a nightmare with Carcraft .

I bought the car 6 mths ago when i took it for a test drive the clutch was slipping , I was told faithfully that the car would have a new clutch fitted , I went to pick it up the next day and indeed the clutch was no longer slipping , so off i went , as 6 mths of ownership was coming up i had the car fully serviced but the mechanic told me the clutch was slipping and had NOT a new clutch fitted recently .

I get on the phone to Carcraft who say they never fitted a new clutch but out of good will they will pay half and would i have to take the car to Old Trafford to have the mechanic test it.

I arrived at Old Trafford and the mechanic cames out of the showroom , get into my car ,puts the hand break on full and relesed the clutch with the engine running , this caused the clutch to make a burning smell , the mechanic then says ... "oooh it is broke and needs a new 1" and i should take it to Rochdale to get repaired ,I agreed as i need my car for work and am loosing money when i dont have it , on the way home from Manchester to bolton the clutch fails completely and i have to pay £80 to get it towed the rest of the way home.

The next day i have to pay another £100 to get the car moved from Bolton to Rochdale only for them to ring me with a price of over 1000 pound yes thats 1 thousand pound for the clutch repair , i rang a few garages in Bolton to be told it could be done for £520 including the duel mass flywheel.

When I explain this to them they say I should get it done in Bolton and they will pay half but i will have to get the car moved back to Bolton @ another £100

the saga continues ..........

Edited by karlpowell

• 2 weeks later...

All went well , have to say i was happy with the end result , I was charged 220 for the full job which is under what i would have had to pay if i had got the job done in bolton and carcraft had to pay half .

so all in all im a a happy man .

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump this thread - I never received any emails letting me know anyone had even replied to this!

I did contact CC about this (not Sandra) and requested a copy of the loan agreement, the papers that were stapled up did show the random loan of £1700 for NAC warranty - which I'd been told was free.. but I hadn't signed it.

I requested the signed copy, and also complained.. just before the 8 weeks were up I received a copy and I had signed it. I couldn't really argue with my signature! I am still fuming over this because I was told this warranty/guarantee was free.. CC didn't seem at all interested in this.

the debt is now with DCA RedCastle, who I've been paying £25pm to keep quiet. the debt is still o/s at £1578.

I can't see that there's anything I can about this... as i've already been through it with CC and they had the agreement with my signature on :(

• 5 months later...
Hi Rev,

Watching this with great interest. If Sandra has the rank implied by her title, she may be able to knock a few heads together. This maybe the Carcraft break though we have been wanting.

Lex

Hi is there any up to date complaint with CarCraft or have they now come up to scratch I have just read all comments on carcrafts behaviour but all were from 2009

• 3 weeks later...

This may be somewhat untimely, but I felt compelled to post this after stumbling upon the forum;

My advice regarding buying a car from Carcraft and extended warranties offered by companies such as NAC is; stay well clear on both counts. The staff at Carcraft are incompetent when it comes to advising the customer of pertinent facts about the vehicles they sell and completing documentation. Irrespective of how diligent you are at completing the warranty registration and servicing of your vehicle; NAC warranties are not universally recognised, they are so prone to the administrative errors of others and contain so many loopholes they are not worth the paper they are printed on.

I have yet to find a VAT registered garage or dealership that recognises an NAC guarantee. Any errors with the paper work on the part of Carcraft will be latched onto by NAC to wheedle out of honouring the warranty or avoid providing any form of support.

My experience that lead to this conclusion:

I purchased a new, preregistered, Renault Laguna II from carcraft in 2003. It had only 8 delivery miles on the clock and the car salesman asserted the vehicle came with the balance of the two years manufacturer warranty. At that time Carcraft threw in their own 1 years free warranty with every sale and I chose to purchase an NAC 3 year warranty (@£350) on the clear understanding this should come into effect only after the manufacturer’s warranty had expired; effectively giving the vehicle 5 years warranty through to 2008. The Carcraft "warranty salesman" filled out the vehicle details on the application form and I signed where directed to.

Even though Carcrafts free 1 year warranty seemed unnecessary, I completed the registration card anyway and just to be sure, a few weeks later, I phoned to check this had been received - which it had and they duly gave me that policy number.

According to the policies T&C's; NEW cars can be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s service schedule. Only second user (used) cars need to be serviced within 6000 miles or six months of the new ownership. Even though my car was brand new at time of purchase, I serviced my car within 6000 miles/six months at a Reg Vardy dealership for good practice.

13 months after purchase the car developed a power steering fluid leak. No problem thought I; even though Carcrafts free 1 yr warranty had expired there was still the balance of the manufacturer’s warranty to call on. WRONG. It transpires the car is a grey import and as such Reg Vardy along with many other Renault dealers require payment upfront by the customer as there is no guarantee they will recover the repair costs from the manufacturer (unlike an "official import” via franchised dealer).

At no time did the Carcraft salesmen mention the car was a grey import or advise the implications of this being so. Before sanctioning the repair with Reg Vardy, I queried warranty situation with Carcraft and NAC and in the process learned the 3 year extended warranty had already came into force i.e. when I took delivery of the car which was two years too early. This meant three warranties ran concurrently (if you accept there was a manufacturer’s warranty in all this) – which was ludicrous- and all the result of Carcraft & NAC jointly bungling the administration.

Nevertheless, in this instance the warranty registration error meant the 3 year policy was current (albeit earlier than planned) and the repair to power steering could be claimed under that policy: WRONG. Reg Vardy along with many other dealerships and garages knew nothing of NAC and declined to recognise the warranty scheme.

To their credit, Reg Vardy undertook the power steering repair free of charge as a gesture of goodwill – at nigh on £100 this was an act I am indebted to them for doing. If ever an example of a reliable dealership were needed; Reg Vardy provided it.

My philosophy is now this; warranties are a gamble and they aren't compulsory. If the car doesn’t break down in the warranty period then purchasing the warranty was a waste of money. Instead;Bank the premium and trust in your ability (or friends or relative) to select a good car and that it will keep running. If it does go bang; well, you’ve already got something put aside to help get it back on the road.

Edited by Peter Dawson
correct an ommission

Hi conniff,

I did persue the matter up to 2009 - during the period the policy(s) should have been valid.

Carcraft contact back then was a Ms H O'Leary - Carcraft Customer Services Administrator.

I put it her that Carcrafts administrative error caused the policies to run concurrently rather than sequentially and as a result I received only 3 years warranty when it should have been 5.

I suggested two ways they could resolve the situation;

1)Provide the additonal 2 years warranty cover at no additional cost to me, or

2)Refund 2/5ths of the premium, which equated to a refund of aproximately £150.

Carcraft (Ms O'Leary) declined both options and concluded I was at fault for not checking the policy details when I signed it.

I put it to her that at the time of signature I understood this was to authorise the additional £350 that would appear on the invoice and that I was not aware the signature was to comfirm the vehicle details and dates entered on the warranty application by the salesman were correct.

(I recall after negotiating the price of the warranty with the salesman he instructed me to "wait there while I sort out the paper work" and that was exactly what he did. Other than being directed to sign on the dotted line to authorise payment, no other discussion about me checking vehicle registration details or effectivity dates on the policy application took place.)

I considered taking Carcraft to the small claims court but so much time elapsed while I obtained the necessary paper work etc. the life of the policy ran its natural course and the value of the claim got less and less. As the car didn't break down during the period up to 2009 I effectively had nothing to claim for.

Hense my conclusion the Carcraft staff were incompetant and the extended warranties they pushed are worth diddly squat.

Edited by Peter Dawson
typing error

• 2 weeks later...
I have purchased a car from carcraft and regret it more than anything.

I have had 5 probelms in 5 months, it is a pile of crap!!

Cant believe how incompetant the staff are bunch of monkeys!!

Rude, thick imbecils, lying cowboys.

I have contacted trading standards and they are now getting involved.

The lady who said you should read your warranty after spending so much money, well it would help if i actually received mine! and also any documents for that matter, all i received was a the bank details and personal information in my glove conpartment of another customer!!

Nice one carcraft!!

Hope for the sake of everyone, this company goes bust!

What an absolute pile of drivvle.

bunch of monkeys, rude, thick imbecils, lying cowboys.

Trading standards will look at the case but can do nothing. When you buy a dvd player you should look at instructions, as you do when you buy a scalextric or a model aeroplane.

Why would you spend an average of 10 grand on a car, buy a warranty and not check the terms and conditions.

personaly i think its a bit thick, imbecilic and cowboyish not to check the black and white.

Obviously you are unaware that companies like carcraft employ other mystery shop companies to check on their staff and processes.

If you recieve less than 95% you get a disciplinary, if less than 75% you get fired.

Failing to inform the customer of their rights and failure to provide terms and conditions in black and white would bring a failure of about 30% in each case.

Basically i think you just took the paperwork, threw it in some cupboard and didnt even realise what it was. Now, you seem to want to blame a company for YOUR cockup.

I have purchsed my last 4 vehicles from carcraft and have never had a problem with the company or its staff.

When i did have a minor problem with my drivers window motor i took it to my nearest branch, Trafford, and was informed there was not a service centre at that site. The young fellow bent over backweards for me and took my car to Rochdale and collected it when finished.

Does that sound like the sort of customer service you would get from a bunch of cowboys or even a main dealer.

Get a life pal, stop whinging and find the paperwork you obviously lost. when found, try reading it and finally may i suggest you enter a full appology on here.

Edited by knowsaboutthesethings

This may be somewhat untimely, but I felt compelled to post this after stumbling upon the forum;

My advice regarding buying a car from Carcraft and extended warranties offered by companies such as NAC is; stay well clear on both counts. The staff at Carcraft are incompetent when it comes to advising the customer of pertinent facts about the vehicles they sell and completing documentation. Irrespective of how diligent you are at completing the warranty registration and servicing of your vehicle; NAC warranties are not universally recognised, they are so prone to the administrative errors of others and contain so many loopholes they are not worth the paper they are printed on.

I have yet to find a VAT registered garage or dealership that recognises an NAC guarantee. Any errors with the paper work on the part of Carcraft will be latched onto by NAC to wheedle out of honouring the warranty or avoid providing any form of support.

My experience that lead to this conclusion:

I purchased a new, preregistered, Renault Laguna II from carcraft in 2003. It had only 8 delivery miles on the clock and the car salesman asserted the vehicle came with the balance of the two years manufacturer warranty. At that time Carcraft threw in their own 1 years free warranty with every sale and I chose to purchase an NAC 3 year warranty (@£350) on the clear understanding this should come into effect only after the manufacturer’s warranty had expired; effectively giving the vehicle 5 years warranty through to 2008. The Carcraft "warranty salesman" filled out the vehicle details on the application form and I signed where directed to.

Even though Carcrafts free 1 year warranty seemed unnecessary, I completed the registration card anyway and just to be sure, a few weeks later, I phoned to check this had been received - which it had and they duly gave me that policy number.

According to the policies T&C's; NEW cars can be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s service schedule. Only second user (used) cars need to be serviced within 6000 miles or six months of the new ownership. Even though my car was brand new at time of purchase, I serviced my car within 6000 miles/six months at a Reg Vardy dealership for good practice.

13 months after purchase the car developed a power steering fluid leak. No problem thought I; even though Carcrafts free 1 yr warranty had expired there was still the balance of the manufacturer’s warranty to call on. WRONG. It transpires the car is a grey import and as such Reg Vardy along with many other Renault dealers require payment upfront by the customer as there is no guarantee they will recover the repair costs from the manufacturer (unlike an "official import” via franchised dealer).

At no time did the Carcraft salesmen mention the car was a grey import or advise the implications of this being so. Before sanctioning the repair with Reg Vardy, I queried warranty situation with Carcraft and NAC and in the process learned the 3 year extended warranty had already came into force i.e. when I took delivery of the car which was two years too early. This meant three warranties ran concurrently (if you accept there was a manufacturer’s warranty in all this) – which was ludicrous- and all the result of Carcraft & NAC jointly bungling the administration.

Nevertheless, in this instance the warranty registration error meant the 3 year policy was current (albeit earlier than planned) and the repair to power steering could be claimed under that policy: WRONG. Reg Vardy along with many other dealerships and garages knew nothing of NAC and declined to recognise the warranty scheme.

To their credit, Reg Vardy undertook the power steering repair free of charge as a gesture of goodwill – at nigh on £100 this was an act I am indebted to them for doing. If ever an example of a reliable dealership were needed; Reg Vardy provided it.

My philosophy is now this; warranties are a gamble and they aren't compulsory. If the car doesn’t break down in the warranty period then purchasing the warranty was a waste of money. Instead;Bank the premium and trust in your ability (or friends or relative) to select a good car and that it will keep running. If it does go bang; well, you’ve already got something put aside to help get it back on the road.

Your car was NOT brand new. it was used. it was a pre registered vehicle. you were the 2nd owner. it was a USED car.

therefore you invalidated your warranty due to your own ignorance.

sorry if that hurts but its quite simple.

you went to buy a used car. you bought a used car and thought it was new when carcraft dont sell new cars.

how hard can it be?????????????????

THIS SINARIO IS COVERED BY A SIMPLE PIECE OF STATUTE LEGISLATION AND ITS CALLED

THE SALE OF GOODS ACT AND CPUTR

EVEN CAR CRAfts own t&c drivell cant overide that

ENOUGH SAID

AT LAST YOU HAVE GOT IT. THE Ts AND Cs ARE A LEGAL REQUIREMENT WHICH HAVE TO BE TO A CERTAIN STANDARD.

FINALLY THIS WILL SINK IN.

CARCRAFT WILL HAVE PROVIDED THE Ts AND Cs BUT YOU DIDNT READ THEM. YOU JUST THREW THEM AWAY OR PUT THEM SOMEWHERE BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE COVERED FOR EVERYTHING.

ONCE AGAIN A KNOW IT ALL LOSES OUT.

JUST ADMIT YOU DID IT WRONG.

WHATEVER I BUY OR TRADE IN I WILL ALWAYS READ THE TERMS CONDIDTIONS OF THE SALE AND THE WARRANTY / GAURANTEE.

A LITTLE TIME CONSUMING AND A LITTLE BORING BUT IT SAVES ME MONEY IN THE END.