"Excess Charge Notice" from university

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all, one of these was issued to me by the university where I work (I'm not employed by the university, I work for a private company who rent premises on the campus). The reason given was "no permit", I am actually entitled to a permit but since I recently changed cars I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Anyway they want £15, I've heard the best way to deal with tickets issued on private property is to ignore them but I'm not sure about the 'official' status of this one. They call it an "excess charge notice" and say that penalties must be paid within 10 days at the university's estates department, however there is no mention of what will happen if I ignore it.

My thinking is to ignore it for now since they don't even know who the car belongs to (I just bought it and haven't even received the registration document back from the DVLA yet)?

Hello all, one of these was issued to me by the university where I work (I'm not employed by the university, I work for a private company who rent premises on the campus). The reason given was "no permit", I am actually entitled to a permit but since I recently changed cars I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Anyway they want £15, I've heard the best way to deal with tickets issued on private property is to ignore them but I'm not sure about the 'official' status of this one. They call it an "excess charge notice" and say that penalties must be paid within 10 days at the university's estates department, however there is no mention of what will happen if I ignore it.

My thinking is to ignore it for now since they don't even know who the car belongs to (I just bought it and haven't even received the registration document back from the DVLA yet)?

There is a very good reason that they make no mention of what will happen if you ignore it, and that's because there is absolutely nothing that they can do about it.

(Think of it like this........Basically they have stuck a piece of paper on your car that says you owe them £15. If you went down your street and stuck pieces of paper on your neighbours cars saying they all owed you £15 and nobody sent you the money then what would/could you do about it?)

Your thinking is right, IGNORE IT

Mossy

Not if you tell them you were not driving that day :)

I think you are missing the point. Usually with PPC tickets if you ignore it eventually they will give up. However if you park there every day and work on site it is not just a case of ignoring the letters, regardless of the driver they could decide not to issue a permit or contact your employer.

Thanks for the replies. I'd be surprised if they noticed I owe them £15 when I apply for a permit but I'll see when that happens. Since I don't park there everyday, and usually only for short periods, getting a permit didn't seem like a high priority. It's very rare to see anyone out writing tickets anyway but I noticed they hit a lot of cars on that particular day.

So I'll probably just ignore the ticket and apply for the permit normally, and if they demand £15 I will dispute it on the grounds that I have just changed cars and hadn't had the time to re-apply yet.