• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

TV licencing -advice needed!!

panicos
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5249 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please can any one help me, I moved into a new property and the next sunday, banging on the front door I answered with the intercom system. It was the police and TV people with warrent to search the property, I said ok hang on coming down. Before I could put my cloths on they smash the front door it was like a drug raide OMG never been so scared in my life. My sisters kids were staying the week end at their uncles new house so you can imgaine how scared they got. They all so agresive and rude they did not find a TV, hence no licence what can I do now ? and do I get any compensation and how do courts give these warrents without checking who lives there before ? regards Panicos

Hi

I presume they were looking for a previos tennant? I would go to local CAB or DIAL if your disabled - you might even try a local solicitor they often have a free half hour session. Either way welcome to Police State Britian - Guilty until proven innocent

Hi Bb

thanks for your reply, yes I was a new tenant moved in on friday and sunday 730 am morning it happened. I cant express my anger, I do understnad they are doing a job. But they were all so agresive to me and the children, the police were shouting at me and the tv people were trying to find wires ect for a tv. I ask them why brake the door when I told you I am coming down to open ? But I did start to video tape them and they went mad but I said that I feel threatened and they allowed me to continue. So You dont know what other way I can complain as they found nothering and how do they get warrents do easy without checking who is living in the house

Hi Pamicos,

Yes I think that it sounds totally disgusting and over the top. I am no legal expert- but did they show you a warrant?

No warrant shown then this could be a case of an illeagl entry?

If shown it may have had the court name on that which issused the warrent.

Did they leave any paper work?

You could try your local court to see of they did issuse it. Then complain like mad to them- I would also contact your MP and the council as you had young children in the house you may be classed as vunerable.

Also contact your landlord if possible to let them know what happened. They will have to repair the damaged door. Hope this helps.

This sounds so OTT as to be almost unbelivable.

Why would the police actually smash down a door to check a TV Licence ?. They normally would only force entry like that for drugs/gun raids or if they believe someone is in danger.

I would go to the police station and demand an answer and demand someone come and fix your door straight away.

Did you see the warrant ?. I'm not sure if it would have a name on it but it should say the grounds why they believe a TV set is being used in the property.

Andy

This sounds so OTT as to be almost unbelivable

I have to agree. I don't mean to question you but are you 100% sure it was to do with a TV License? The normal course of action is court for a fine then if you fail to pay a Warrant for your arrest. They wouldn't break down the door for something like this! My husband had a Warrant out for his arrest a few years ago (for a parking fine) and they came at around 11pm at night (they come at unsociable hours to catch you out) but they knocked on the door and that was that, they basically said if you can't pay now then we arrest you and take you to station until Monday morning where it can be heard in court.

I just find it very strange. Also why would they be looking for wires etc???

My first port of call would be the local paper, local radio station and then the police! Also it would be worth getting your local MP involved.

Hi to all, 100 percent the warrent was to search for a TV as the property did not have a Licence. Not sure what happened before I moved in but OMG i have not slept since they came in. I told my land lord everything they have been amazing paying for a new TV licence even though I have not got one as yet and the door. I have given them a statement and the Video I took of the police and the TV men. I never beleived in my wildest dreams they would be so angry and rude to me over a TV licence. My cocenr is for the children, I made out it was friends of mine so they would not them problems in the further, they were 6 and 7 years old. I blieve my land lord had written to a company called Capita services ? complaining of my treatment. what I would love is to complaint to the court and the person who gave them the warrent. Id love to take them to court for this see how they like it regards and thanks to all Panicos

Hi me again,

Just had a thought - it seems very extreme for a TV licence! I wonder if the previous tennants might have been running a pirate radio station from your address and the enforcers were using a TV licence story as a cover -seems strange they were looking for wires! Hope you get it sorted out!

Hi BB well i thought the same but the family before had 3 kids so very unlikely. I just never heard of warrants to be used in this way and being so agressive. It was like whatching a TV show and they were looking for drugs, the TV wires they were checking for was an act of desparation as they did not find a TV they were trying to cover their backs I think by saying there was one here before>>? Its like we are all guilty with out evidence just because big companys with loads of money have the time and the staff to do this to inocent people shamefull. What we need is a top solicitor to take this to the BBC and lets see what they say when the media get a hold of it.

Regards P

HI Lafey Im in london well southgate to be exact, tell me about it Ive heard of them gaining entry when no one is in but I told them I need to put cloths on and get the children ready I was no more then 4 minutes and they were banging on all windows and doors. Then suddenly door was smashed in Omg I could not believe it. They did not even say sorry whem they found out i was a new tenant and didnt evern have a TV in the house regards P

I don't run with this. Wires have absolutely nothing to do with a television license, and they will not smash down a door because you haven't got one. If this really did happen, you have got the wrong end of the stick.

Maybe they got the wrong address which is why they were looking for wires, but either way they should not be smashing down doors. This does sound very odd for the police to do unless they had been informed that something else was happening at the house. Definitely have it investigated by the police complaints commisioner by taking the complaint to your local police station.

Keep us updated!

Hi Surfer yes this actually happened got the warrant that stated warrnat to search for TV only, police were there and two TV men I got it all on video as well. I going to check for any legal problems but I should put it on bloddy U tube. I have compalined but its taking so long and its so hard I need to send it by post inwritting etc regards P

What does the warrant say, word-for-word?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi Barracad, the warrant say, Warrant to enter and search premises and test any television reciver found (section 366 Communications act 20003)

then the date

the next sentence say, on this day an information has been laid on oath by then a the guys name

the my address

then a b c d basically saying the above

on the next page there is a section that say compensation may be payable in appropriate cases for damage caused entering and searching premises. I think my land lord has wrote into them.

Reagrds P