macmir

Penalty notice but incomplete form

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3631 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there,

I wonder if anybody could give me an advice!

I have been issued with a penalty fares notice by a train company for not being in possession of a valid ticket. But the guard was not able to read my german ID, so he took my third given name as my surename - this means he does not have my surename. But he has my address.

A friend told me now that the penalty notice is invalid as soon as the formular is incomplete. Is that right and should i maybe not pay the fine?

My second question is, if i would send a request about this fine - it was really an accidental situation that i did not have a ticket - how are the chances that they will abolish the fine?

Thank you so much for helping me!

Hi there,

I wonder if anybody could give me an advice!

I have been issued with a penalty fares notice by a train company for not being in possession of a valid ticket. But the guard was not able to read my german ID, so he took my third given name as my surename - this means he does not have my surename. But he has my address.

A friend told me now that the penalty notice is invalid as soon as the formular is incomplete. Is that right and should i maybe not pay the fine?

My second question is, if i would send a request about this fine - it was really an accidental situation that i did not have a ticket - how are the chances that they will abolish the fine?

Thank you so much for helping me!

I wouldn't rely on the notice being considered invalid simply because only a part of a name was recorded, especially if the staff member recorded the detail of a National ID Card as confirmation along with the correct address.

What is the 'accidental situation' that you say lead to you not having a ticket?

If it is incorrect and then you signed it then you have agreed that the notice was filled out correctly, so the notice is still valid.

Views expressed in this forum by me are my own personal opinion and you take it on face value! I make any comments to the best of my knowledge but you take my advice at your own risk.

I did not sign anything, they just gave me the notice without my surname and that was it. acutally i am pretty sure that they dont have more details about my ID, but of course you never know!....

My accidential situation was:

I forgot that my weekly ticket was expired the day before, as it was morning in the peak hour, there were so many people that the guards waved the people, including me, through the wide gate. So i noticed that my ticket wasn't valid any more when i wanted to leave the leave station again. so i went to an office, told him my problem and asked him to leave me out in order to buy a new weekly ticket. but he immediately gave me this fine.

what do u think?

and many thanks for your answers!!

You may be lucky

The ticketing conditions make clear that it is your responsibility to check any ticket that you intend to use is valid before you travel.

We all make mistakes at some time or other.

If your weekly was only the one day out of date you well may be lucky because if you appeal the notice, it is more than likely that the penalty will be cancelled and you will only be asked to pay the single fare that was due.

If you choose to ignore the notice, then you take a chance and it may well turn out to be more expensive in the long run.

It's entirely up to you