wuberchu

Orange cannot prove i owe them! Help!!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3636 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello all.

In july 2007 i lost my handset and called orange to tell them that i wanted to cancel my contract and was told i can as i didn't owe anything at that time. I went about my merry way thinking that was that. Recently on checking my credit file i noticed a default from orange for 200 and something pounds.

I contacted them to find out what this was all about and was told that part of it was outstanding charges (for what, i don't know), and part was for something called "emergency care". They claim that they have a note on the system saying i asked for this. I DID NOT!!! Further more, if i had asked for it then i should have been sent a replacement phone. THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN EITHER!!

On recently speaking to the very rude person on the end of the phone i asked about the so called outstanding charges and what they are made up of and was told that because it was so long ago, they are no longer on the system. What kind of rubbish is that. So what they are saying is, i owe them money for outstanding charges, but they don't know what they are. What a load of CRAP!!! So then i said what about this supposed emergency care i was supposed to have asked for and was charged 33 pounds for, can you tell me what phone you reckon you sent me and supply me with delivery information and any numbers that i rang with this mystery phone. Again i was told, it was such a long time ago and the information is not on the system. It all seems a bit convenient that the note of me asking for this emergency care is conveniently on the system, but nothing about the supposed replacement phone or any info about these outstanding charges.

How can orange default me on a bill that they can not prove exists. I did not ask for emergency care or ever receive a replacement phone so the information in the default notice is wrong. Where do i go from here to get this sorted?

Thank you,

Wuberchu

Hi,

I think your first step is to do a SAR to get all the information that orange hold about you, so you know exactly what they can and can't substantiate. It will cost £10 plus postage (at least recorded delivery) so you may not think it worthwhile.

Alternatively, write to them heading the letter 'Complaint'. Point out that they can't substantiate anything they are recording on your credit file therefore they should remove the information.

Finally, from now on do everything in writing. Unless you can record calls it always ends up as your word against theirs with these sort of consequences.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I have to say if you were as forceful in your call as you were with your forum post, I would imagine they would be rude back. Call centre staff are human too - and you get treated the same way you treat them.

As to your problem. From whay you way, you lost your phone and that you told them to cancel. Implying that was your last contact with them. Did you pay for the last month of service due (under notice) and for the non-bundle call element up to the phone being disconnected? Did you also check that while lost nobody had made unauthorised calls until the phone was blocked?

You need to rewind back to the event and ensure the money side is correct - only Orange can provide this, and whilst your data has been archived it DOES exist, and will be pulled up when you request a SAR and pay the required fee,

I have to say if you were as forceful in your call as you were with your forum post, I would imagine they would be rude back. Call centre staff are human too - and you get treated the same way you treat them.

do not agree,if the CC staff are rude back that just inflames the issue,they should attempt to resolve the issue or at least confirm that they will look into and make the customer at least feel they are talking to someone who know what they are doing.Being Orange though are they UK based? and im not saying that should be an excuse,they should have better training.

If the information was not available due to archiving then the customer should have been told that they will need to request the details etc, i think i would be a bit miffed if they said you owe us,dont know why and what for.

just another quicky,why should the OP pay to request the archived information that Orange are trying to bill him for??? shouldnt they provide as evidence of the charges?

I can assure you - if you are discourteous with CS staff, they can either argue back if they are in the mood, or note your file that you were abisive and hang up. End of progress. The secret is to be respectful, as you've got more to lose than they have.

Secondly, why should the OP pay? Because they wsill have already invoiced these charges, so the onus remains with the OP to use these documents, or pay for replacement. This can either be by a SAR, or for the specified invoice required, whichever is cheaper.

But since it won;t come to court anyway (under £500) the debt will be sold on and the pursuit will be from skip-debt tracers instead.

if our staff argued back or rude,guaranteed they would get bollocked,they can warn they will terminate the call etc. As the OP was asking for a breakdown of the charges the consultant couldnt tell him,if archived he should have been advised.But as Orange are trying to charge him they have to supply a breakdown of charges

Really? This happens at all CS's you've dealt with? Bottom line, these firms usually act as agent for the branded entity you THINK you're dealing with. I've heard a good many swearing sessions going on, and if the staffer says he was called a nasty name, and couldn't help responding - nobody will care**. Perhaps in the good old days, but not now. The customer isn;t always right, and if you get an 'abusive' flag - you might as well start writing instead.

As to the actal point you;re making, no. Their not 'trying' to charge. They already have charged, and probably already billed on an invoice and follow-up statements. The OP would have to prove they hadn't and proving a negative is impossible. Should you wish a furthet breakdown, you don't get them for free - and if you don;t pay you don't get.

Simple really - as the debt gets sold on and the hassle continues.

**My office is close to an outsourcing centre

I don't think recent comments are in any way helpful to the OP.

By all means suggest alternatives to my opinion, or that of anyone else, but can we please keep to the point.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

By their very nature, forum threads drift - however in the absence of the OP responsing to clarify points there is little to be done. I would doubt there would be any alternative actions available to those already suggested.