General DCA questions?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Been having some thoughts... if this is in the wrong place then please feel free to move it...

Should you make an offer of payment, however small, to the original lender or should you just keep fighting the DCAs?

How often do the DCAs curl up and die when you challenge them?

How often do the DCAs end up taking you to court?

I know their business is to scare you into rolling over and throwing your last ten pence at them... how often do they back down if the person owing the money bites back?

"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter" - Sir Winston Churchill

Been having some thoughts... if this is in the wrong place then please feel free to move it...

Should you make an offer of payment, however small, to the original lender or should you just keep fighting the DCAs? depends. If DCA is acting on behalf of creditor and creditor has been reasonable then pay the creditor if you feel obliged to pay anyone.

How often do the DCAs curl up and die when you challenge them? Again, it depends on 1. how aggressive they are 2. how aggressive you are and 3. if they do or don't have any paperwork (though this is the most minor concern)

How often do the DCAs end up taking you to court? I don't think anyone could answer that, nor could anyone come up with even a guess as to why some cases end up in court and others don't. Some DCAs are far more likely to do it than others. If you're worried about a particular one, have a search for threads involving them and start reading. Things do change though - Cabot have got a lot more agressive in the last 12 months for example.

I know their business is to scare you into rolling over and throwing your last ten pence at them... how often do they back down if the person owing the money bites back?

The answers to your questions are dependent on a huge number of variables plus the unfathomable whims of the DCAs. If you want advice about a specific DCA and can't find the answers by reading other people's threads, then you'll have to be more specific in your questions.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

The answer lies in knowledge.

The main weapon DCA's have is your lack of knowledge. The moment you get clued up about your rights and their responsibilities, that's when you take control of them. Once they realise you are not a sucker for their thug tactics they tend to scrape their knuckles right back under the stone they appeared from.;)

Should you make an offer of payment, however small, to the original lender or should you just keep fighting the DCAs?

If you're acknowledged that you owe the money, are happy that the CCA is enforceable, tickled pink that the default notice is signed sealed and correct, positively thrilled that the termination notice is valid and jubilant that no assignment notice has been provided ....then yup, it's might be worth 'making an offer of payment, however small to the original lender' other than that, fight the DCA's at each and every corner and give them zero by way of co-operation unless that is they're fair in their approach, decent in their manner and mindful that each and every situation is different...but do pigs fly?

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

If you don't dispute the debt, then it's a good idea to try to come to some arrangement with the original creditor. I would even be prepared to deal with their own 'in house' collection agency - but when they start employing third parties to be rude, aggressive and bullying then it's time to consider fighting back.

As for purchasers buying up old debts for pennies, they are usually the worst of the bunch and the most likely to not have the necessary 'legal instruments' to take it any further - but they will almost certainly be the most aggressive and bullying. They are the absolute rock bottom lowlifes of the world and should be fought/ignored all the way to the bitter end.

Just an opinion. ;)

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

Thanks for the replies... I had been reading through some of the threads and was beginning to wonder if I was doing the right thing or making a rod for my own (and my mother's) back.

I am more than happy to fight AIC and such, it is just the Barclaycard issue (which I have a thread about here started yesterday) that is making me doubt if I can win against them... and as it is my mum's debt I don't want to cause her hell...

Thanks again

x

"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter" - Sir Winston Churchill

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone point me in the direction of the prove it letter template please?

~x~

Thanks cerberusalert - I am in the process of converting another of the persecuted to the ways of the CAG ;)

~x~

• 3 months later...

I want to write to Wescot and offer them £x per month. I don't want to do an income/expenditure form, I just want to say "Here's what I can pay you..."

Any suggestions?

Thanks