Does having a default on your credit file stop acceptance of a mortgage?

Madas
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5248 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I need a little advise if anybody can help.

I recently applied for a mortgage but was declined!

I ran a credit report to check on why this could happen,

I found a default on my account from wescot so i have searched all the paperwork i seem to hoard to find out what this could be for.

I found it was for a mobile phone i had with Vodafone!

This is where it gets confusing.

The phone in question was transferred to my ex boyfriend,

but vodafone transferred the wrong numbers!

I wrote to them to inform them of this and never heard anything again.

I have since moved from the property that debt was registered at over 6 years ago now so have had no correspondence with either vodafone or wescot.

Unfortunately this debt is not 6 yrs old yet!

Its only 5 years old, default date shows as 26/04/05

My concern is how i go about getting it removed from my credit report without getting into a big battle about the debt being recorded to me in the first place in error.

Anybody got any info they think may help me,

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Madas x:mad:x;)

There is no easy way to get information removed from your credit file. You can write to vodaphone and ask nicely, but if they say no your only option will be to threaten and follow through with court action, and by the time that reaches a court room the default will be gone from your record anyway.

I would be extremely suprised if a default that old for presumably a relatively small amount of money would make a mortgage lender refuse you anyway.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

The default is for £1796 so its not that small.

Would something of that amount be the reasons?

Also if i just pay it and have done will that remove the default through wescot who had taken the debt over?

Madas x:mad:x;)

The default will remain on your credit file for 6 years whether you pay it or not - it will just show a balance outstanding of 0 if it's been settled.

That's rather larger than the average default sum for mobile phones - all the others I've seen are around £2-£300 - so it could well be the reason you've been refused.

As I said, you could fight to get this removed and it has to be worth a polite letter to vodaphone (wescot would be a waste of time and would just take it as permission to harass you until you pay) but it could easily take longer than it will be on your file anyway.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

yes you would be refused a mortgage if its halifax they will not lend on a ccj or a default...i have been with halifax for 29 years with an exemplary credit record never a single missed payment same with hfc never missed a payment for the last 9 years..but halifax refused because hfo put a default against me now i am fighting this with experian and hfo,to date it has cost me 700 pounds in extra payments because of this illegal default but i intend claiming this back from hfo plus damages....i am the lucky one its geuss who hfo capital ltd who do not exist in the uk ?

anyway experian do have shares with wescot

patrickq1

Hi Madas,

While it's unlikely that we'll be able to do anything in regard to the default on your credit the amount it's been registered for does sound like rather a lot.

As you've mentioned that a transfer of ownership had gone wrong and that you didn't receive a reply to your letter to us I'd to take a look at things for you to make sure that the amount you're been asked to pay is the correct one.

To get in touch with the Web Relations Team with your details could you follow the instructions we set out in our pinned thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/telecoms-mobile-fixed/213340-vodafone-webteam-customers-problems.html and as soon as we'be heard from you we'll then be able to check your account to see what's happening.

Many thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK