Random speed drops

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am on Virgin Media, basicly I dont understand this.

I can do a speed test and get about 5-6 meg (good) but then do one again straight after and I will have lost about 1-2 meg sometimes 3 using the www.speedtester.bt.com one.

My ping varies also, is this a problem my end or is it Virgin?

This did start to happen around the time I took the faceplate off and tried to "clean" the wires up inside a bit (I did this by cutting the ends off and removing the cover to show the wire again and puting it back in.)

I also have BT on another phone line (both on master sockets) that has a constant ping of 10-26 with more than one computer on at a time where as my Virgin one only has 1 on.

My routers speed results are:

Bandwidth (up,down) 448/6,944

Line Attenuation (up,down) 17.0/27.0

SN Margin (up,down) 23.0/12.5

My question is why does my speed vary every second?

P.S

My Virgin Media ADSL line is not as old as my BT one which gets 8 meg on the router 6-7 meg download

Anyone help me please?

I saw a post that says stuff about line sync speed my BT router tells me I get 8128 but I only get just over 6 meg but I'm suppost to get 7.15 meg?

My virgin Media is horrible but I should get 6 meg on it, is there a way to increase sycn speed?

Edited by Lively

These speed test are not accurate enough to be taken as gospel. The speed is all academic anyway as you will never download at those speeds as no one uploads fast enough for you to do so.

One of the biggest pipes I know is Microsoft but you are not likely to get more than 1.5mb download even from them.

I'm not the smartest when it comes down to connections, to be fair I have no clue what you just said other than what I think you said is people with 20 meg connections waste their money unless the server they are playing on has also a 20 meg?

Anyway it seems to have sorted its self out and im constantly at 5.70-5.80 meg and 41 ping but any tips on increasing sycn speed would be nice, I already have the I-Plate faceplate thingy.

no

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Taking everything as being perfect, that speed is inclusive of your upload as well, so that has to be taken from that number. There is the contention ratio ie the number of others using the same line plus interference on the line, mains and other electrical products interference in your own home as well as the proximity of dect phones etc:

The 8mb you refer to is only a theoretical figure and it's maximum capability. The only advantage of higher bandwidth is if you are downloading multiple things at the same time and just to round the figures up, if you were downloading 4 movies at 1mb each, that will mean that you are downloading at 4mb in total if you add those 4 downloads together.