Please help I have been asked to attend a medical

Flippy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5249 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone, please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered before but I am really very distressed and don't know what to do.

I was asked last month to complete a form about my illness to continue claiming Incapacity benefit. I have suffered from depression for a number of years and find functioning on a daily basis very very difficult. i don't go out and i am gripped with fear with the thought of answering or using the phone or seeing anyone. I also suffer from asthma and arthritis in my feet plus other ailments which inhibit my functioning and movement..if I was a horse I'd have been put down a long long time ago! Anyway, today I received a letter telling me to go for a medical. This is my first medical since I had one 5 or 6 years ago and I am terrified. I don't understand how they have asked me to go for a medical as my circumstances haven't changed and if anything the aches and pains I feel have become worse. I rang them and told me to come on the 21st December but I don't knoiw if i can really face going. What should I do? What happens if I fail this medical will i be told to go and sign on? Please please help me.I havent told my family that I have to go I am too ashamed.

Thank you for reading this and i hope that someone will be able to advice me on the right course of action to take. Thanks again Flippy

Edited by Flippy

Hi Flippy, sorry to hear you're going through it right now. I have also experienced this and understand how you must feel. It's worth reading other threads on this forum, because you are definitely not alone. I hope an expert turns up soon, but try reading other posts that might reassure you a bit and give you some clues on what you might need to do. I'm sure you'll get some help.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi Flippy,

it must be distressing for you but unfortunately you have to attend the medical, If you fail to attend your claim to Incapacity will be closed and to have it reopened you would have to show good reason why you didnt attend.

Dont be ashamed everybody has to go for these medicals in order for their claim to Incapacity Benefit to continue

I am sure lots of people will give you advice on the medical

dont worry too much

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

Hi Flippy, i have been through this, i would advise that you take someone with you, into the medical, and make your answers to the questions very clear. Or are you able to get a home medical, due to your condition? i dont know anything about that part of it but someone here will do, whichever way please have someone with you, and please dont feel ashamed, all of us claiming IB have to do this, and if you fail then help is at hand and there are benefits you can claim while you appeal, all is not lost.

Hi Flippy.

I endorse what Ruby Tuesday and Mikey, especially about having someone with you. It doesn't have to be a family member, just someone you trust.

I think I've seen in this forum that some people have been offered home medicals. Have you talked to your GP? They seem to be pretty supportive on the whole.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Ruby is right, all is not lost if you fail your medical then you can claim Income Support on reduced rate if you put in an appeal against the decision. You can claim this untill your appeal is heard and if you win you will get any arrears due. :)

But if you dont want to appeal you can claim JSA

But hopefully you will pass your medical