style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5250 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got a letter through the door from a bailiff saying they will take my car if I dont pay some fees for council tax.

The letter is for someone else, what do I do?

Can they really take my car if its not me that owes them anything?

We always get letters for this person, and send them back 'return to sender addresse unknown' but we still get a load of rubbish in the post for them. I only opened this one because it was handwritten and said urgent.

Please help

You have nothing to worry about, bailiffs have a legal duty of care to ensure the goods belong to their debtor.

While they have the right to consider goods to be property of the debtor at first sight, but a random car near a debtors house does not fall into that remit.

The law doesnt say you have to tell the bailiff where his debtor is, nor are you liable for hid debts. If a bailiff interferes with your car then he will only be screwing his own liability insurer.

File the document in the bin.

The next generation Nintendo Wii - the Nintendo Puu

Actually you should keep it. Such paperwork can sometimes be useful.

You should also contact the bailiff and tell him that the 'someone else' he is looking for is not you and you have no knowledge of that person. Actually putting this writing would be even better.

If the bailiff turns up then refuse to let him inside your house. If he attempts to remove the vehicle then call the police to report a theft.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

Thanks Nintendo Pu

BTW Brilliant name :D

Is there anything we can do about all the cruddy mail we get for this person? Most of it is banks and solicitors, I think it must be someone who rented this place before us.