barclaycard/mercers

walkinthepark
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2326 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then ask for a copy of the Credit Agreement. The chances of Mercers having one on an account that old re virtually zero. If they can't come up with one, then you can either stop paying them anything, or if you feel you want to pay, it will put you in a very strong negotiating position.

I have a debt with Barclaycard who have now passed it over to Mercer's. They are wanting by bank details so I can pay by direct debit but I have refused to give them my details. I want to pay by standing order. Where do I stand legally if they refuse this option? Also, how do I go about doing a standing order?

Thanks

You can pay them any way you want. By far the best way is to do as you are doing and pay them via standing order, as you control the amount they receive, a DD is a licence for them to dip their hands into your account and take what they like.

Incidentally Mercers are Barclays, it is there in house DCA.

Just them trying to sound professional and scare you into thinking that they have got a third party involved.

So if they won't give you their bank details, simply pay Barclays via SO using Barclays bank details.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Help! Update

I've had an email from the debt counsellors and they suggested writing to Mercer's saying that I want to pay by standing order and quote my bank account number as my reference. They won't be able to do anything with this account number apart from taking the amount I want them to have can they?

they don't need any of your details. They need to give you their bank account and sort code, then you use your barclaycard number as the reference. You set up the standing order with your bank, they have nothing to do with it. I use 20-04-15, 3829000800, followed by my card number to pay my platinum card. They would rather have control over how much you pay, but it is better that you have the control.

DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BANK DETAILS, would you give them to a guy in the street? If they want the money let them give you their details. If they have given you details to pay by internet or phone banking they are what you need to set up a standing order.

Tell Sharklaycard that unless they give you their bank details in order to pay them via standing order then they won't get any money!

You take control not them, don't take any of their drivel, just tell them that you need their details in order to set up a standing order, and you set the amount that is comfortable for you to pay, if it is a £1 a week/month then so be it, DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO TELL YOU WHAT TO PAY!

If you ring them then make sure you record the call, however it is much better to start a paper trail of evidence, and send them a letter asking for the information, send it recorded delivery, and print your name, never sign.

Then if they still refuse to give you the details, at least a judge will look very favourably on you, as you have told them you want to set up a standing order.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Just a thought - instead of asking Mercers for their bank details can I just go ahead and do it? Will the neccessary information I require be on the Barclaycard credit card statments I get every month? I used to pay my credit card bill by cheque every month. I would rather Mercers not know what I was doing because they will probably reject my offer of paying by s/o. Thanks

given that mercers and barclaycard are the same 'company' then I dont see the harm in paying using the details you have.

Why not write to them and say you are going to pay be standing order and unless they give you different detaild then these are the details you will use.

- stand uo to them, the more you do the less they will try and bully you

Thanks I will write first - I'm going to be a bit more pro-active. It's not as though I'm refusing to pay or anything as I want to pay debt off.

Yes! Proactive and Assertive;)

It is their job to try and manipulate and pressure you into paying as much as they can possibly get out of you as often as possible. Direct Debit puts them in control, that's why they want it. You must be strong and tell them that you acknowledge liability and responsibility etc but at the moment all you can afford to pay is £x and that you will only pay by a method that allows you to remain in control of the process.

As the previous posters have noted they will try to bully you so stand firm and write to them only-no calls. If they call you refuse to go through thier security questions..state 'in writing only' and put the phone down. They get the message in the end.

Many banks have tried the 'we only do DD' line-dont fall for it.

They are lucky that you are offering to repay as many Caggers wouldnt give them the time of day when being treated poorly.

I am currently involved in fun and games with HSBC who have said they are going to up my repayments...they obviously dont realise that things were set up by SO...;)