barclaycard/mercers

walkinthepark
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2345 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I wondered if anyone had any experience of this problem?

I am negotiating with Mercer's to set up a reduced payment plan to pay off my debt to Barclaycard.

They want me to take up a direct debit.

I've been told by my debt counsellor not to give out my card details.

I've told Mercers this and also that I'm afraid that they will take out more money than I have agreed on.

They told me that it would be illegal for them to do this.

I want to believe them and I am keen to get the ball rolling but I would prefer to pay by cheque but they have turned that offer down.

Are they trustworthy?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

standing order is safer than direct debit because with a standing order you are in control where as a direct debt they have control of your account.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

The first payments has to be £60 and then after that it goes down to £49. I like the idea of standing order but how can I get it to work when the first payment is going to be different to the following monthly payments. Can I get my bank to sort this out. Thanks

indeed just instruct them to pay £60 and when that payment has gone though just contact your bank to lower it remember you are in control.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

you would just amend the standing order after the first payment

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

dca,s do not mention standing orders because they dont like them and indeed same with most companies

Yes I know - it's just that I'm keen to sort it out but I feel as though they have me over a barrel if I don't go ahead.

They cannot dictate to you how you should pay this debt. If you can't agree payment by s/o or cheque with them, just start sending them cheques (look to make sure that they're cashing them).

Given that they're being bolshie have you asked for a copy of the credit agreement to make sure that it exists and is valid?

Hi

Yes I've been sending a fixed amount to Barclaycard for a couple of months. They originally asked me to update my first offer by £2 which I did. I accepted by letter but they ignored it and then it went to Mercers. I haven't asked them for my credit card agreement as yet. It's not that I don't want to pay but they seem to be intent on getting my card details. I've offered to pay by cheque but they keep saying it won't go through the system in time. Seeing as they've put everything on hold for me for 2 weeks it seems to be a bit silly but there's no reasoning with them.

I've been in negotiation with Mercers and agreed to ring them back on a particular date when I get paid to set up a direct debit. I've now received a letter saying a debt collector will be calling if I don't set up a direct debit. I'm not sure what to do. Even when I last spoke to them I got a call on my mobile from them 10 mins later. It's like one advisor doesn't know what the others doing.

Hi,

You have hit the nail on the head. None of them know what the other is doing-ever!

If you wish to stop them calling on you, send them this:

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/590-letter-used-when-a-dca-threatens-a-doorstep-visit-.html

fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Morning

First rule DO NOT call a dca as they can and will say things just to get you to agree to anything, do everything in writing so you have hard proof for later down the line

Not wise to set up a DD as I believe they can be altered and withdrawn against without further permission needed from you, use a Standing Order if you must do anything

A doorstep visit can only be carried out if you agree, they can not enter your property "Uninvited" and besides they have no power anyway

Write to Mercers and dvise them:

All further contact in writing only so delete your phone number from their files

You will not accept any door step callers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] I asked them to wait whilst I got my Bank card :violin:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information that may help if a CCA request is refused due to the lack of a signature . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?248863-Signature-demands-fight-back-possible-!&highlight=

Hi, walkinthepark.

What is the debt?

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

DCA's have a bit of a bizzare mentality like that....they dont like people taking the initiative & being the one to offer them payment, it always has to be a payment made as a result of a demand or threatogram from the DCA.

Natually..they then dont get anything at all.

The industry is so barmy it beggars belief :rolleyes:

It's a credit card debt. Like I said it's them that's dragging their feet just because I won't tell them my card details. Funny thing is the credit card company have sent me details of debt counselling services but when I have mentioned that I'm taking the advice of the debt counselling people not to divulge my card details they've don't want to know. I don't want to antagonise these people but it's them what's stopping me from paying.

Are there any charges you could re-claim ?

So you are trying to pay it but the DCA will only accept payment by Direct Debit.

How old is the card and have you CCA'd them.

Yes absolutely - we had agreed a monthly figure and then when they asked me what method of payment I was going to use I said a monthly cheque and they refused. The debt people told me not to divulge my card details. Mercer's did say they couldn't take out more than what is agreed because it would be illegal but I'm still concerned.

Hi,

Don't know if you noticed ( I edited my post) I asked how old the card was and whether you had CCA'd them.

If they can't comply with your CCA request, puts you in a good position to offer a very reduced 'full and final' to get shot off the debt.

Regards.

Scott.