Egg Charges - Can I claim PPI? ***WON*** (PPI)

baileyb00
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5209 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Everyone.

I have received my statements from Egg dating back to June 2004 when I opened the account.

I am claiming a total of £280 in charges from this period, however I was wondering if I can claim payment protection insurance charges? I have £323 in ppi charges but I dont remember ever agreeing to the insurance which seems to appear after a few months on my statements - given that I was a student at the time I am pretty sure I would never have been able to claim on this insurance?

Any help greatly appreciated -

Also do Egg 'crack' quite easily and pay up with the charges?

Hi baileyb00,

The answer to your last question first..No

First thing to do is get a letter off to Egg stating that you believe that the PPI was miss-sold and giving the reasons why. If Egg agree, all well and good, if not then the next step is to complain to the Financial Ombudsman.

You could also send a complaint to the OFT if Egg refute your claim. They will reply saying they do not act for individual complaints but you will be adding your voice to the rest of the Egg customers on here.

Regards,

Bosun. :)

Please note: I have no formal qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith. :)

have received response (quicker than I expected) from egg - basically it looks like a bog standard letter stating about the oft ruling etc.

in a nutshell they are offering to reduce the £20 charges down to the £16 giving me 15 charges at £4 + 8% stat interest so they are offering to credit my account with £80.52 = bit of a difference to the £280 + interest!!

They have given me an acceptance form to complete and return and have untill the 18th to return it.

Do I send the letter of rejection or am I wasting my time?

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

This is an Egg standard computerised reply, the first variant of either two or three. Egg do not put up a big fight, they only want the uninformed to think so. In recent months court and regulator attitude has turned against cards big time. In case of doubt they lean heavily for cardholders and against cards. So much so that recently Egg have more than once caved in immediately. One court case reclaiming PPI had the judge so incensed he ruled for total return of PPI contributions, plus he ordered total wipeout of the outstand debt. Not surprising Egg and others no longer have the appetite for fighting even half justified PPI reclaims.

Send the 30APR2007 moc1982 template letter below. Egg know it by heart, and caved in repaying in full plus 8% interest per annum, only 114 times.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/egg/53376-e-day-victory-over-5.html

That's fine, but be sure to itemise your charges with amounts and dates -- these will be verified by Egg. If they say no, ignore that letter and re-send your claim, adding:

"Look forward to seeing soon in court your £1,000-per-day barrister. Claim will be filed in court." :D They have paid 114 times, not going to change policy just for you.

Good luck.

Well I have had a response in a way for the ppi letter - simply thanks for your 'complaint' we are looking into it....

I also received a letter after I had sent my rejection.... it goes as follows....

Dear XXXX

We have completed a final review of your complaint regarding the charges applied to your account and we confirm the following.

As stated in our letter dated 4 Dec 09 we agreed without any admission of liability to apply the reduction to the £20 charges that you have incurred; in the letter we included an offer to refund £80.52 in full and final settlement of your complaint. Please be aware that this is our final settlement offer and acceptance of it will mean that you no longer any right of claim or action (including any claim for interest on and costs) against Egg in relation to this complaint.

If you wish to accept the offer please sign and return the acceptane form from our previous letter (attached again for ease) and retain a copy for your records.

For your information you have six months from the date of this letter to exercise your right to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman service. If the financial ombudsman service notifies us of their intention to arbitrate on your behalf we will no longer be able to discuss your complaint directly with you,

yours sincerely

Victoria Shepherd

hmmm, so where do I go from here?

This is a standare Egg letter like bargaining in the Morocco Kasbah. Egg have nothing to lose by haggling and playing hard to get.

Reply saying you are ready to file a claim for full refund in the Small Claims Court, without further notice. Egg do not want to go to court. They do not realise you do not either. They have caved in 114 times and refunded in full, not going to stop now.

Have had another letter this morning - they have refunded the PPI in full totalling £484.07! YAY!!!! So that will come straight off my balance!!

Just got to the letter back to them telling them I'll take them to court and hopefully I'll get charges back as well!

Just checked my egg card account, they have adjusted the balance to show that £146.87 has been taken off (this is the interest part of the PPI) but not the additional £337.20 (the PPI total payments hence the total £484.07)

The entry was made on the 18/12/2009 = but wheres the rest? Do I give it till Monday or should I call them?

Just checked my egg card account, they have adjusted the balance to show that £146.87 has been taken off (this is the interest part of the PPI) but not the additional £337.20 (the PPI total payments hence the total £484.07)

The entry was made on the 18/12/2009 = but wheres the rest? Do I give it till Monday or should I call them?

This is Xmas time with depleted staff overstretched. Probably different clerks have to fill in different input transaction forms. As you have the Egg letter confirming total refund, I have never heard of such an Egg undertaking not being fulfilled.

Well done! Your PPI contributions refunded effectively became your unintentional savings account. :D

Edited by Mistermind
typo

• 2 weeks later...
This is an Egg standard computerised reply, the first variant of either two or three. Egg do not put up a big fight, they only want the uninformed to think so. In recent months court and regulator attitude has turned against cards big time. In case of doubt they lean heavily for cardholders and against cards. So much so that recently Egg have more than once caved in immediately. One court case reclaiming PPI had the judge so incensed he ruled for total return of PPI contributions, plus he ordered total wipeout of the outstand debt. Not surprising Egg and others no longer have the appetite for fighting even half justified PPI reclaims.

Send the 30APR2007 moc1982 template letter below. Egg know it by heart, and caved in repaying in full plus 8% interest per annum, only 114 times.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/egg/53376-e-day-victory-over-5.html

I cant find that letter anywhere on that thread ?? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Egg have sent the following letter...

Dear Baileyb00

Thank you for your letter

Having received your letter and reviewed our decision dated 15th Dec 09 we are sorry to inform you that our position remains unchanged.

Whilst this many not be the outcome you hoped for, we would remind you that should be dissatisfied with our decision you may take your complaint to the financial ombudsman service.

If you have any new information that you would like us to consider in relatin to your complaint please provide us with a copy ....

So guys where do I go froom here -- this hasnt happened before....

Thhis is standard haggling to discourage the uninitiated.

If you write back to say you will file N1 court claim within 10 days, and that legal costs will be added to your claim, they will back down, maybe at the last minute. They do not want to send a £1,000-a-day barrister to court, and even less to answer your questions in court.

If they truly dig their heels in, then it will be time to actually file the N1.

I'm starting to wonder if Egg staff are a law unto themselves. They must get into an insular world of bankers and think we are all **** to be resisted at any cost. There are certainly 3 letters in the series and we had all of them. They were even called "OFT1", "OFT2" and "OFT3" on our subject access request printouts.

Mistermind is right, they would back down if you filed a court claim, but if you would rather not go down that route straightaway then you should complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Slow but free.

FOS is slow, and I understand they will only take on a case after claimant and EGG have reached stalemate going nowhere, for a period of months. The point of FOS is that if they even take on the case, win lose or draw they will charge Egg £400, so Egg has no reason to pay £400 if eventually they end up refunding the cardholder any way.

Resolution is what persuades Egg. Do not blink.