• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
    • Hi DX - quick question, what is the bank likely to do when they get my letter of change of address ? also what is the worst they can do? thanks J1L
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ebay sellers some are over charging

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5223 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just got a account with ebay and thought well i will just have a look and hey presto found summing i wanted.

Looked at the deliver cost what a rip off. For 2nd class standard delivery they wanted £5.00.

The item was under 100g in weight, its a plastic bag the style u can use for swimming etc. So can somebody please tell me how it is going to cost them more than the standard second class postage for this item which is what they advertise the send it as? Ok i know they have to pay for the envelope but since when does a pack of large envelopes cost more than £3.00 i buy 10 A4 envelopes for that at my local discount store.

Also some ppl are selling used stuff for more than new like hello no one is gonna pay £30 for a used 3 piece ben 10 bag set when Argos sell them for £15 new.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this explains it :p

YouTube - "Ebay" by Weird Al Yankovic

well... maybe not but still funny :lol:

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

It is a bit crazy. I occasionally buy off there but I look at the postage and avoid the sellers with high postage costs. I doubt their greed gets them anywhere - I think buyers tend to count the total cost rather than cost & postage seperately.

And yes, I've seen some "enthusiastic" pricing! A good reason to know what you are buying and research it properly first. There are rip-off merchants everywhere.

Also some ppl are selling used stuff for more than new like hello no one is gonna pay £30 for a used 3 piece ben 10 bag set when Argos sell them for £15 new.

I have twice bought stuff on Amazon and then flogged it unwanted for some reason or another. They both sold for more than I paid for it on Ebay. Some people see high street prices and just use Ebay for online shopping thinking it's the cheapest.

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

The reason they do it is simple - ebay charges for insertion and final value fee based on the item price but not including the postage. That's why you get people selling stuff for 99p BIN with £15 postage (no kidding).

I don't agree with it in the slightest, and I only ever charge about 20p more than the actual cost in order to cover packaging, but I can see how people feel it's the only way to make some money.

Recently for instance ebay have decided that sellers can't charge postage at all for media products, ie cd's, dvd's, books and mags. Essentially all the stuff that sells quite cheaply.

Their reason is that they are doing it for the seller. Apparently as places like Amazon, Play etc etc sell things with free postage, the only way to be competitive is to do the same. The massive flaw with this however is that the big boys like Amazon are a) selling new items at a half decent price and b) send so much post that they get big discounts. Your average ebayer however is selling a second hand dvd that they will probably get a quid for. Now we have to pay for postage out of that quid too!

What ebay suggest is that you add in the cost of postage and handling to your item. This is not allowed though according to their terms so a bit of a hefty catch 22 there! In addition to that, putting a higher starting price with free delivery is a lovely way for them to get more fees from you. For instance, items starting at 99p are free to list, but £1 and more means you get charged. So, you go from free listing and 10% of your 99p going as a final value fee to say, £2 listing (to cover the postage), meaning you now pay 15p to list plus 10% of the listing. In one fell swoop ebay have managed to increase their revenue on that item from just under 10p to 35p, and it's the seller who bears that increase.

I have about 200 cake mags to sell which I would start at 99p. Not a huge amount individually, but together that's a big chunk of Crimbo sorted. Having to do it with the free postage is bad for everyone, as I would always offer combined postage for more than one win. Now I either fleece the buyer for the extra, or have to take my time and effort sorting a refund out, when it should all have been sorted in the first place. Also, the higher starting price would put many off because they can see there would not be any reduction due to combining postage. Net result is that I will be listing in a different category that allows postage and just crossing my fingers that the right people see them.

Anyway, in short overcharging postage is fee circumventing, pure and simple. It's a pain in the ar*e for buyers (I recently went to bid on a kids shirt then saw it was £4.50 second class post), and it's only getting worse as ebay impose these ridiculous restrictions on being able to charge a fair postage.

Bah humbug to ebay:mad:

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

I have twice bought stuff on Amazon and then flogged it unwanted for some reason or another. They both sold for more than I paid for it on Ebay. Some people see high street prices and just use Ebay for online shopping thinking it's the cheapest.

Yes but i am guessing that the start price was not over the top in the first place like the price i was saying about.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Yes but i am guessing that the start price was not over the top in the first place like the price i was saying about.

Not on my 2 auctions no. I started with a low opening bid and was amazed at what they sold for. The starting prices are actually higher on the auctions of some professional sellers though. They are inavariably on 'buy it now' fixed price format. Here's one of countless examples. A Logitech keyboard on Amazon at £119.99:

Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Then do a search on Ebay for that item and you get the following results:

Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser, Computing, Keyboard Mouse Bundles, Keyboards items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

Excluding the foreign sets, which no one wants, and a couple of individual units sold by private sellers you will see the prices from the professional sellers range from £133.95 to £175.06 with p and p on top in many cases. I compared prices between Amazon and Ebay 18 months back when I bought a set, not that Amazon are always cheapest, and again just recently when looking for a Xmas present for someone. It was exactly the same scenario. If they didn't make money they wouldn't be there. I felt a bit guilty about two of my auctions selling for more than I paid, but if I told the winners before they paid they might not have paid and I didn't have time for that. If I told them after they paid they might have got shirty thinking I was being cheeky and left me negative feedback or something! It wasn't my fault they bid what they bid. :( I suppose I could have told them after they left me positive feedback, but you can't go through every scenario in life being a complete Serpico. I try to do the right thing by others, but you can't babysit people every second. If it ever happens again i'll send the winner a polite message recommending they look at Amazon or shop around online after positive feedback is left.

Edited by renegotiation

I see where people are coming from on the postage.

My comment on con artists was really aimed at the Buy Now stuff, not the bid stuff.

It really is about knowing the market before you buy anything off there though.

I know its open to abuse.

Was working with 2 girls recently who both sold on ebay.

One of them didn't get the price she wanted on bids so she didn't post the item, she'll wait until they say they haven't received it and then refund them through Paypal. Then she'll get a friend to put the item on again with a reserve.

The other girl gets a mate to bid on hers to get the price up.

I've never sold on there, I just buy occasionally but its something I know the true value of so am OK with it. I've never had problems luckily.

Jan

well the item i brought is worth according to argos. £1.99

I paid 99p but they wanted £5 for second class standard del. Rip off so i have sent postal order and my own packaging with Recorded delivery and stamps which as the item is under 100g is under £2.

I paid 99p but they wanted £5 for second class standard del. Rip off so i have sent postal order and my own packaging with Recorded delivery and stamps which as the item is under 100g is under £2.

That is just fantastic thinking:D I love it:D

I recently bought a small item from ebay for 49p:D. It was free P+P and when I received it, I found that the seller had to pay 65p to post it to me:p.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

I recently bought a small item from ebay for 49p:grin:. It was free P+P and when I received it, I found that the seller had to pay 65p to post it to me:p. forumbox_top_left.gifforumbox_top_tile.gifforumbox_top_right.gifforumbox_left_tile.gifforumbox_right_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_left.gifforumbox_bottom_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_right.gif

Awww.. its good to know there are some honest sellers on there! Bet they don't make that mistake again though.

As you havent paid the total price, the seller may simply send you a non-paying bidder warning. Too many of those and you get chucked off Ebay.

I see where people are coming from on the postage.

I don't usually look at p and p as p and p. I just factor it in to the cost of the item and what i'm willing to pay. Sellers who charge high p and p are invariably trying to avoid rip off Ebay final value fees, as Ebay doesn't take a cut out of the p and p. That might seem wrong at first glance, but at the end of the day Ebay operates as a virtual monopoly in the online auctions market. The governemnt doesn't want to touch Ebay, as it is a great cash cow. Ebay generates very high tax revenues, especially since they automatically started billing all of us VAT. I do have some sympathy with sellers charging high p and p as long as it is 100% up front and crystal clear. At the same time it's very understandable that not every bidder is going to think about the bigger picture.

As you havent paid the total price, the seller may simply send you a non-paying bidder warning. Too many of those and you get chucked off Ebay.

They'd be a bit silly to do that as all RMW needs to do is show how much they're overcharging for postage to turn it around. Ebay is notoriously buyer biased so she'd more likely win than them.

I don't say that in a 'get all the buggers' way, it's just the truth. I recently sold a watch on their for over £80, but they held my money in Paypal (which they force you to offer, making them more money and limiting you as you are not even allowed to say you'd prefer them to pay in other ways) until I had 10 DSR or until the buyer left good feedback.

Had he not left that and had decided he didn't want to pay ebay reserve the right to give him his money back. They don't operate any particular system to ensure you get your item back, and they refund the money as soon as they want to, not as soon as you confirm you have your item. It's all very wrong. I was especially miffed as I have a rating of over 1200 100%positives on my other username, but as it's a business account and they won't let me go back to personal (something else they don't tell you when you change to business) I had to set up a new account with zero feedback.

If ebid had any sort of following I'd be on there in a flash:(

How are they "overcharging"?

Sellers can charge for the postage, packing and handling it costs them to get the widget from them to you. Only the seller knows what this cost is.

The seller stated this cost in the listing, so a prospective buyer knows exactly how much they need to pay.

If the seller then asks for more on top- that would be overcharging.

Paypal hold on to payments to newbie sellers for 21 days until they have a bit of a track record. In the past [problematic] were signing up as newbies, defrauding others of thousands and disappearing without a trace.

A newbie will get their money after 21 days as long as the buyer gets their widget (or you can prove that they have of they try and pull a fast one- always, always send or return stuff by RD at least)

Once you have over 10 feedback, the 21 days is lifted and you can download your money.

How are they "overcharging"?

Sellers can charge for the postage, packing and handling it costs them to get the widget from them to you. Only the seller knows what this cost is.

The seller stated this cost in the listing, so a prospective buyer knows exactly how much they need to pay.

If the seller then asks for more on top- that would be overcharging.

Only the seller might know what the cost is, but if a bidder pays £5 p and p for something that arrives in a 20p jiffy bag with 2 second class stamps on it they might not be happy. Strictly speaking that is overcharging for p and p. Ebay do allow for some costs associated with p and p to be absorbed into the total quote, but nothing like inflating the total by 500%. However, some sellers do just that and even more. Different bidders will have different outlooks. Some will have factored in p and p to the total they are paying for their item, fully understanding why some sellers do it, while others will genuinely see it as a separate charge that shouldn't be excessive and take umbrage when it is. I myself have had buyers stress out over a clearly advertised fixed p and p charge of £3. I even clearly stated that it included an administration cost! It's not like a seller can explain in their listing that they are avoiding Ebay final value fees through high p and p. :oops: Furthermore, there are probably a minority of sellers, auctioning fixed price items already at market value for example, that are just cynically using p and p as a rip off. It really is a bit of a minefield! :???:

Edited by renegotiation

Its Ebays fault really.

The costs of getting stuff from a seller to the buyer should simply be called a delivery or shipping charge- for that is what it is.

It would save a lot of heartache. Calling it "postage costs" has buyers frantically looking at the price of the stamps to see if theyve been "overcharged", forgeting that someone had to pack it up and get to a post office (could be a long bus ride away or cost them in petrol and parking) and queue up for 30 mins) all to save you hassle of having to go out and get it yourself.

Its Ebays fault really.

The costs of getting stuff from a seller to the buyer should simply be called a delivery or shipping charge- for that is what it is.

It would save a lot of heartache. Calling it "postage costs" has buyers frantically looking at the price of the stamps to see if theyve been "overcharged", forgeting that someone had to pack it up and get to a post office (could be a long bus ride away or cost them in petrol and parking) and queue up for 30 mins) all to save you hassle of having to go out and get it yourself.

That's all valid, but I would say that first and foremost high p and p is about sellers, professional ones at least, trying to pay less on final value fees. What's more prevalent out of the rip off brigade and those with genuine costs is hard to judge. Ebay have certainly been woeful on this issue for several years. It's quite surprising, as it would benefit them sorting it out. A laughable 'solution' they introduced not so long ago was trying to enforce free p and p in certain categories. God knows what numpty thought that one up!

Edited by renegotiation