Tinkerbelllle

Advice Required Regarding Hotel Cancellation

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3642 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

We booked into a hotel for a prebooked 2 night break.

On the first day we spent the afternoon in the hotel pool. Something in the water must have reacted with our little girl as her eyes became red and swelled and looked absolutely awful. The following morning her eyes were still puffed up, irritated and red and my eyes were extremely bloodshot so we decided to leave.

What are our rights in claiming our money back for the night we didn't stay due to the fact we specifically booked the hotel for the use of the pool and obviously couldn't use it due to the reaction it caused to our daughter and myself?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I doubt you'd get anywhere - use of the hotel requires they provide you with overnight accommodation. The fact your daughter could not use the pool would be seen as unfortunate, but not enough to warrant you cancelling the stay because the pool wasn;t used. The same holds true if you arrived and for one reason or another, the pool was unavailable. It is not grounds to cancel. You don;t say if anyonbe else was affected, but whilst some people are sensitive to the chemicals used, only if it was outwith spec could tghey be liable for it, but again this would NOT affect your pre-booked stay.

In a similar situation to yours, I wanted to use the pool - only to discover is was closed for 2 days due to a 'private event'. No refund was offered or expected. If you were on a 'deal' there was probably a discounted rate applied for the 2 nights. If you departed early, and they agreed to a refund, you would have lost the discount and been put on the rack rate, which would probably have been the same cost - so no refund element would have been paid.

It is disappointing when this happens, but it remained your choice to terminate, not the hotel's and as such you would have to bear the loss - even though it appears unfair.

Thanks for replying Raymond.

Don't know if this will make any difference, but the 2 day break was actually at a waterpark hotel, so the booking was solely for the use of the pool etc....

Kind regards,

Tinks.

I think you'd have to show there was something wrong with the water. The hotel would have been at fault if, for example, they had put too much of a chemical in the water but not if you and your daughter are overly sensitive to normal levels.

Was there only a single pool? With a description like 'waterpark' I would at least expect alternative water events that would help take the slack should there be a problem with one of the attractions.

I'm not sure if you've done this - but a pleasant letter to the hotel, explaining the situation, the cause and effect on your daughter, and the disappointment suffered in having to return home early - asking in they could offer some form of rebate due to the problem (don;t say compensation!) due to the early departure - might just pay dividends. Writing allows a considered reply, a phone call invariably leads to a speeding (and sometimes unfair) decision.