Council Leasehold : Service charges!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5259 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Hope you can help, fairly new here. I had a look and thought this was best here and not in the council tax section as it's a bit different.

We own our flat. But it's leased by the local council.

As well as council tax, we pay them a separate service charge for refurbishments, maintenance etc etc on the block.

That's all fine. It's estimated at £900 a year. We have paid this for the year ending March 2009.

Now, we have received a letter saying that the actual bill is nearly £700 more. And we have to pay in three weeks.

That's over 2/3 of the estimated bill! I complained last year when it the adjustment was about 50% more but this is extortionate. No major works have been done. The only thing I can see is a (very cheap) handrail added to the stair well, which was so shoddily made the builders didn't even bother to clean up after themselves.

Can they do this? Do we have any rights at all? I would really appreciate any help from anyone. I can't get hold of anyone today as it's the weekend and the three week pay date is quite daunting.

Thanks for your help

Firstly, I think this should be in the Council Tax section. You will probably get the best help there. As to your predicament, I can at least suggest asking to pay installments. Are you sure that option isn't available to you? It does sound like you have been ripped off a bit on the work. The Council assessed the work that needed doing and had companies bid for it or what?

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

Thanks, I'll post it again there. It just looked like it was all council tax, which is a bit different.

No, can't pay in installments. As it's for the year ended March 09, payment is due within 31 days (less actually, as though it's dated 18th Nov, we only received it today...)

And of course we're still paying the service charge for this year.

It's just so frustrating, I can't believe they can get away with it.

Thanks for your reply. I will post it in the council tax area.

We pay in monthly installments. I'm stunned that you aren't able to. It might be worth a go writing to them and trying to come to some arrangement. Can you just clarify whether it is a council worker who originally assesses the work that needs doing?

We are paying this year's service charge in monthly installments. But the demand for the adjustments for last years says it must be paid in 31 days...

I know, it's shocking.

I don't know who assesses what needs doing. I'm assuming that as the majority of the breakdown is listed with Responsive (minor) repairs, it's just tenants contacting them with things to be repaired?

I don't know who asked for/why there was a handrail installed. I wasn't informed of it. (I think it looks pretty rubbish actually. I'd probably not have agreed to it - there already is a handrail on the other side)

In the past, I've rung them up to tell them a landing light or something is broken and they've come to fix it - so that's what I'm assuming happened. But to rack up £800 seems excessive. It's not a huge block of flats!

They should bill you for the previous year so you don't get nasty shocks! That's how we get billed. I can't comment on the specific company that does your work. However, I know there are a lot of rip off management companies around. You need to stick your nose in and figure out exactly what is going on. Speak to your neighbours too. Figure out how the company is selected. Look at the list of work done and the prices charged. You have a right to an itemised bill. Get someone to watch them carrying out annual maintenance work. They should be informing you when they are coming. If you aren't happy, then complain.

Thanks Renegotiation.

Yeah, I remember being happy that the leaseholder was the council as I thought it would mean we wouldn't get ripped off!

On Monday, as soon as the council office opens, I will be ringing them for more information on what the £800 of minor repairs were...but that's a good idea to get the other neighbours together. I'm sure I can't be the only one who is so shocked by the bill.

I actually don't think it's the fact that they're overcharging for the work done - I think it's unnecessary work that is being done, which would be the council's fault.

Thanks so much for your posts. I can't tell how much it's helped just talking to someone about it and feeling like I'm not going mad!

Thanks Renegotiation.

Yeah, I remember being happy that the leaseholder was the council as I thought it would mean we wouldn't get ripped off!

On Monday, as soon as the council office opens, I will be ringing them for more information on what the £800 of minor repairs were...but that's a good idea to get the other neighbours together. I'm sure I can't be the only one who is so shocked by the bill.

I actually don't think it's the fact that they're overcharging for the work done - I think it's unnecessary work that is being done, which would be the council's fault.

Thanks so much for your posts. I can't tell how much it's helped just talking to someone about it and feeling like I'm not going mad!

I feel for you. We had a £600 bill this year, which is more than usual, and that's with advance notice! £1600? :shock::shock::shock: I'm amazed you haven't had an itemised bill as it is.