Council Fraud Accusation Help

splodge34
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5233 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I wondered if you would be able to help with.

I regularly visit a member of my family, and often spend a lot time round their home (walking the dog, being company and helping them as they are disabled). I eat, sleep, wash etc (I.e. live) elsewhere, with other family, which I officially live.

At the start of september my family member received a letter saying they have been informed I live with them. Obviously this is wrong, but got myself and my family member really worried. We replied back explaining that I walk the dog, tend to my family members needs and sometimes stay whenever they are ill (rare) and unable to attend to themselves. Within the response letter, my family member also gave my actual address and indicated that some mail does come here in my name (for convenience really when I call round each day from work).

Since then, we have not heard a thing. It is now pushing december. My family member has telephoned the council a few times and they have said that the system "does not show anything."

As Christmas approaches, I am getting worried. We, as a family were planning on coming together for a few days over Christmas during the holiday weeks. I fear that, if the council monitor the house and see me coming and going during such time, they will decide that I have been living there all along and prosecute us for council tax avasion etc (but I do not know how to prove anything).

Any advice would be very much welcome. How could we find out the status of this? What do we do if we receive a letter?

Thanks VERY much for any help you can offer.

From what I understand there are no hard and fast rules about living arrangements. Each case is treated on it's merits.

That said, they wrote to your family member, a full reply was made, nothing heard for a few months. The council are contacted and say nothing showing up about it.

Therefore it's very highly unlikely that any further action will be taken. Clearly they are happy with your explanations.

So, Splodge, just settle back, relax and have a very Merry Christmas. :cool:

Rae

Edited by RaeUK
typoo

Thanks Rae,

I hope you are right. I have visions of them just letting the dust settle, then see them parking up outside the home and photographing me coming and going and accusing me of living there, when I go round and walk the dog, or cook for my family member etc.

I feel guilty for going to visit my family. I have started wondering whether they can constitute as me going round every day, seeing to the dog and taking care of things there for a few hours would constitute as me partially living there. Then I think, well, why should I not go there and attend to my family. I pay my taxes etc myself, so I do not see the issue, but obviously there seems to be one.

Honestly, I really wouldn't worry. You're helping your family and being caring to them. All very laudable and what any reasonable person would do. And how many households on benefit have relatives round for Christmas? More than a couple I suspect. Perfectly natural.

But if you must worry...

... this is what I would personally do. At the earliest opportunity I would go into the council reception. Ask to see someone about the matter and not be fobbed off. Explain that this is worrying you sick and causing sleepless nights. Christmas will have to be cancelled. By this point, because I'm very emotional anyway and on HRT, I'd be in floods of tears and a gibbering wreck! But I will walk away with reassurances, an apology and a couple of borrowed kleenexes...

Rae

Thanks again Rae,

I guess you are right, but it is hard to not worry about these things. I personally would go straight to the council, but my family member feels a bit to nervous about it and keeps saying that, as she has telephoned them numerous times, going in to see them would make them think she has something to hide.

I guess what will be will be. I may try and convince her to go in.

Thank you again for your kind words. I cannot emphasise how much you have helped my sanity.

Slodge you sound a lovely caring person who is doing no wrong.

Some spiteful nasty person has informed the council that you are living at your family members house.

You know you are not and I think that the council after receiving the letter off your family member with your home address on, will agree with you.

Worry not no more enjoy your Christmas and as I have just read it could even be a white one, have a lovely worry free time

and lets hope that the nasty spiteful anonymous person has one as well!!

tis the season of goodwill after all

Thanks Mikey,

I hope you are right. I can't say I feel particularly happy that someone has gone out of there way to do that. I personally would not have the time or inclination. It is a shame that some people have to resort to such matters, especially when they do not know the personal circumstances of the individuals.

A white christmas sounds fantastic to me!

Thanks Again for your advice Mikey.