Cellular telephones - We need a trueCall type solution

ScabHunter
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5254 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For years, debt collectors and other commercial, religious and political irritants have been abusing the telephone system as a way of causing nuisance. In the case of debt collectors and banks at least, this abuse has been blatantly malicious. Not only do they insist on making multiple nuisance calls every day, the worst offenders (Crap One and MBNA) even use more than ten different numbers to defeat BT Choose To Refuse.

Of course, the regulatory authorities should be taking action. A person who pays for a telephone line to be installed in their home should have the right to dictate who can and who cannot use that line. The regulatory authorities, as ever, are as effective as a cotton wool knife.

Now, at last, technology has come to the aid of the beleaguered telephone owner in the shape of the trueCall. No, it is not cheap, but it does signal the technological breakthrough which we have needed for so long. The writing is at last on the wall for the serial abusers of the telephone system.

The trueCall, however, is only usable with landline telephones. It cannot be used with cellular telephones, and even if it could, it would probably be too bulky to carry around. I have seen several threads recently where debt collectors were abusing the original poster's cell phone, and not their home landline.

Cell phones are advanced technology, and are capable of so much. I have seen models which are capable of recording nuisance calls, but as of now I have not seen any cell phone, or software which can be downloaded onto a cell phone, which can replicate the blocking features of the trueCall.

As the abuse of cell phone numbers seems to be becoming an increasing problem, I am wondering if any users out there have found the solution. If you have any ideas, please post them here on this thread.

In a way, it is strange that I should be the one starting this thread, as I don't use cell phones. I scarcely use landlines either, so I don't even own a trueCall. Nearly all of my communication is done through Skype. I can communicate while on the move using my laptop, also through Skype. My Skype is set up to only accept calls from my contacts, so no idiots can disturb me. Anyone else can send a written message, and then if I decide I want to go to voice I can add them to my contacts. If they are idiots, I can just block their user ID so I don't even get their written messages. That is the solution which works for me.

Nevertheless, there are plenty of cell phone users out there. If you've got any tips, please share them. It MUST be possible, at least in theory, to turn a cell phone into a portable version of a landline armed with a trueCall.

SH

• Haha 1

Most Sony Ericsson phones have a facility to record calls. I know mine does. As long as you have a memory card of 2GB or more in the phone then it should record the call and you can transfer it onto a computer to keep.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

I'm thinking that one of the VOIP companies might be able to offer a solution:

Maybe direct all calls to a VOIP number, then redirect the ones you want to receive to another number -would mean buying a new sim, and possibly paying for the redirected calls.

Many mobiles offer skype now, so I wonder whether a redirection via skype would work, and use your mobile just as a skype phone.

My contract gives me unlimited internet for £5 a month, so not an onerous amount.

Carpe Jugulum

I have a Sony Ericsson phone and it has an option to block numbers at this time 17 numbers blocked. Only problem you have no way of knowing if they are still trying to call you on those numbers as it does not record calls blacked.

dpick

• Haha 1

Thanks everybody for their contribution.

By doing a bit more research, it looks as though I may have found something. If your sole aim is to get a bit of peace, and you are not looking for the ability to record incoming calls, it seems as though a cheap phone called the Samsung E250 may do the job.

According to the retailers, it works with every network on contract or pay-as-you-go, except the Three network.

I have seen it available for £20 on one website, with a choice of Virgin or Orange PAYG.

Significantly, it seems to offer the ability to block nuisance calls. According to WikiHow, at least -

How to Reject Calls on the Samsung E250: 5 steps - wikiHow

If anybody has any experience of this phone, it would be useful to hear it. It is certainly not a trueCall-style complete solution, but it appears to be a cheap answer if you just want to live in peace.

SH

I have a Sony Ericsson phone and it has an option to block numbers at this time 17 numbers blocked. Only problem you have no way of knowing if they are still trying to call you on those numbers as it does not record calls blacked.

dpick

I just assign a silent ringtone to them, that way I know which muppet is doing what. But I dont speak to them on the phone because doing it by letter is much harder for them. And anything I can do to make their life more difficult... I will

there is a program for the nokia that i had on my n72 it was called blacklist and it stopped and recorded all the numbers, date, time of call etc, unfortunately i now have sony ericsson and it isnt available for this type of phone

My phone has windows so I used this callblocker software.. annoying sometimes having to click the 'do you want to upgrade' button but it's free this way. Works very well. Also works (differemt download) with smartphones (whatever this definition is nowadays?)

Look for callblock for windows or smartphones underneath.

http://www.wishsolutions.com/Products.aspx