Default help please

HL123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5259 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

CAG newbie here looking for some help please! This might end up being long so I'll apologise in advance :oops:

I decided to get a copy of my Equifax credit report today, and what a shock that was! In 2007, there are serious mortgage arrears and a default of almost £18,000 from a secured loan on a property I used to own with my ex. We split up in 2005 and I moved to Scotland, he stayed while we tried to sell the house. It took two years to sell (it needed major refurbishment - hence the secured loan), and during this time he told me he was paying the mortgage and loan every month, and even emailed me his bank statements a few times to 'prove it' (obviously now I know these were doctored!). I'd set up a mail redirect to my new address and written to the lenders telling them I'd moved out, but I didn't get any letters from them about the arrears, so I had no reason to doubt him. I know that both the mortgage and the loan were settled when the house was finally sold in August 2007, but looking at my credit report I can see he was already 6 months behind with the payments at that point. Luckily the mortgage didn't default, however the secured loan (different lender) did default. The balance on this loan was almost £18,000.

I know I can't do anything about the arrears showing on my file, as the accounts were in joint names and it's my own stupid fault for not checking my ex was actually paying them like he said. But I have two issues with the default - firstly, it is still showing as an outstanding balance, and hasn't been marked as satisfied. As the loan was secured on the house, it's impossible for it to still be outstanding. Secondly, the default date is the 31st August, but the property was sold on the 24th! The mortgage was paid off at the same time as the secured loan and my report shows that was settled on the 29th (I'm assuming the solicitor paid by cheque and it took a few days to clear), and I can only presume that the loan company received their cheque at the same time. So I don't understand how they could add a default on the 31st, knowing the property had already been sold and payment had been issued to them.

I've emailed Equifax asking for the default to be removed and the account to be shown as satisfied, but what are my chances of this actually happening? I don't have any information about the loan as my ex had all the documents and it was 4 years ago that I left - I don't even have an account number. Is it worth writing to them with just my name and previous address to see if they can find the info? It worries me that they still have it listed as an outstanding balance, in case they try to chase me for it!

Is it even worth pursuing it? Even if they remove the default, the account would still show as 6 months in arrears, so I'm presuming my credit rating is still going to be ruined until it comes off in 2013. Apart from these things, my credit history is perfect, so it's really annoying that I'm stuck with these bad marks against me because of an idiot ex boyfriend. I was wondering why I was (very embarrassingly) turned down for a car loan recently, and now I know why!

Do you ever just wish you'd never bothered looking?!!! :roll: