andychurchill

compensation payments due to bank mistakes?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3666 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

A cheque payment was made on a CC card account, to clear the balance, but the CC company claimed they never received the cheque, despite bank statements and images of the cheque at the point it was paid in.

I contacted them and provided them with this evidence, and assumed they would be able to rectify what I believe is just an admin mistake in crediting the wrong person's account (despite the cheque scan clearly showing the correct account number on it)

However, they've now responded to say they can't trace the payment, and that I should speak to my own bank to trace it. I thought this was ridiculous, but visited my bank for a 2nd time today, and after initially coming to the same conclusion as me, they put a tracer on it, and will report back in 21 days.

Given that it's the CC company's mistake, I am intending to claim back an additional payment that was made in haste before realising that the account balance should have already been cleared, plus interest, plus costs (£9.25 per hour for bank visits, drafting letters, and so on), and will expect them to strike off any notes they may have added to my credit reference agencies, in relation to late or ignored payments since this date, for I have no intention of paying them given that in my opinion, the balance should already be clear.

On top of this, the bank manager suggested I would be within my rights to claim compensation for the stress and hassle this has caused. So my question is, how do I work out what is a fair amount in compensation?

Just found a post that recommended visiting the FOS site, and having now done that I see my best course of action is to phone them and give them details of the problem, and see what they suggest.